Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

casco speedairo helmet vs anything else - help please
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any data or an informed opinion on this helmet?

I bought it back in 2014 when it came out and the 'no vented, TT 'sperm' helmets' didn't work for me in hot LD races, and it seemed to be a pretty good option.

But I never hear it mentioned or ever tested.

By todays standards are its aerodynamics a bit rubbish? What might the potential saving with an aerohead or javalin or other be?

(I'm aware that it changes from person to person and real life testing is the only way to know the absolute answer to this.)
Quote Reply
Re: casco speedairo helmet vs anything else - help please [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably pretty decent.
For someone who wears glasses it is THE helmet as they will fit underneath the visor.
I have neck issues and I cannot make it through a 70.3 race with a heavy TT helmet.

I love the SpeedAiro, but mine was looking pretty bad after years of use and the internal pads were disgusting, so I just retired mine for cyclocross use.

Bought a new Kask Utopia. No visor, but super light for my bad neck. Also, a terribly designed retention system for such an expensive helmet.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Feb 8, 19 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: casco speedairo helmet vs anything else - help please [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using the same helmet, also from 2014.

For track, TT and now 70.3 tris.

Many use it on track (endurance events), including pros and elite, as it is well aerated and efficient if you move your head a lot, or put it down a lot.

Like most "no tail helmets", it is efficient if you put your head quite down, or move your head quite much.

If you stay with fixed head, looking ahead, probably some tail will give you better aero result. Then, good ventilation is not easy to find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts.

my problem is that it is quite big and in pics seems to stick out like a massive blob even if I have my head tucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I tested that helmet on 1 or maybe 2 people but can't recall the results.

It seems that in the aero road category the Specialized Evade works really well for a lot of people.

Most often, >95% of the time a pure TT helmet, at least the top 5-8 that work well for the most people, will be faster than a road aero helmet. As you get into the universally slower for almost everyone TT helmets then it's more of a guessing game as to which TT helmets are slower than a true TT helmet.

I've seen one company's newest aero road helmet faster then their TT helmet on 1 person

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply