Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon training plan - HELP!
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I'm a beginner triathlete, who cannot figure out a perfect training plan. Due to a lot of obligations, I can't seem to design my training plan adequately (weekly basis) primarily cause I only use to run and cycle previously.
This is how my weekly training plan looks like:

Monday: Swim
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Cycle (Brick: Swim/Cycle)
Thursday: Run
Friday: Bike (Brick: Bike/Run)
Saturday: Swim
Sunday: Longdistance run (15-20k)

A month ago, I have incorportaed a brick workout every other week in order to avoid spaghetti legs on an actual race day, which is scheduled for April 15 (Sprint Duathlon) and May 19 (Sprint Triathlon).

My weekly training plan is pretty tense and I don't have an actual day off (I'm using swimming as recovery).

What day of the week should I eliminate in order to get proper recovery?
What do you guys think about brick workout? Is it crucial to do brick every week?
What kind of training plan do you use?

Thank you! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training plan - HELP! [Aeroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically I give all my athletes Monday off, assuming they have their longer workouts on the weekend. That being said the way you have it schedule with a recovery swim on Monday is not a bad idea as long as it is truly active recovery.

I am a big believer in Brick workouts and schedule weekly starting about 4 months out of first race.

In terms of plan even though I am a coach I also hired a coach to take care of my training so I am accountable to somebody.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of runs you doing on Tuesday and Thursday?
If you are only training for Sprints I'd do a longish run every other week and do some intensity for the Sunday run, that's assuming you aren't prone to injury or have any longer distance stuff in the future.
The second run in a Duathlon can be brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Below is a GREAT start and only $15 a month! They have triathlon plans for all distances and 3 volumes for each based on how much time you have weekly....

https://www.trainerroad.com/...thlon-training-plans

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Last edited by: dmounts: Feb 6, 19 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training plan - HELP! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
What kind of runs you doing on Tuesday and Thursday?
If you are only training for Sprints I'd do a longish run every other week and do some intensity for the Sunday run, that's assuming you aren't prone to injury or have any longer distance stuff in the future.
The second run in a Duathlon can be brutal.

Thank you for your response. Tuesday's are scheduled for interval trainings (8k) and i do 10k on Thursday. I'm afraid that if I reschedule the longrun for every other week I'll loose the endurance for the upcoming half marathons in spring.
What kind of training plan do you use? I'd appreciate your outline if its not a secret.

Thanks man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some additional questions for you to help advise. How long have you been running/cycling? Do you have a past history with running injuries? What are your goals for the triathlons you're training for (just finish, podium, etc)?

Also do you have a lot of time restrictions in your schedule? An easy modification would be to add double workouts (two workouts a day but not a brick) to your schedule.

Things I can think of off hand to answer your questions -
1. For a beginning triathlete I would likely eliminate Monday or any other day when you're busy/tired (for most people this seems to be Monday after a long weekend of training or Friday before a big weekend)
2. Brick workouts are not crucial every week for a beginner in my opinion. I would focus more on bricks in the last 6-8 weeks before a race.
3. I've used coaches in the past but am currently self-coached (and also a tri coach for other athletes).
Last edited by: TMR: Feb 6, 19 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aeroman wrote:

Monday: Swim
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Cycle (Brick: Swim/Cycle)
Thursday: Run
Friday: Bike (Brick: Bike/Run)
Saturday: Swim
Sunday: Longdistance run (15-20k)

What day of the week should I eliminate in order to get proper recovery? ****** If you do your training load correctly throughout the week you probably don't/shouldn't need a day off every week unless work kicks you in the balls daily

What do you guys think about brick workout? ****** this thread: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=1816193#p1816193 it's worth the laughs and sarcasm alone. IMO bricks are vastly overrated

Is it crucial to do brick every week? NO, not even every month.

What kind of training plan do you use? Frequency to achieve volume for running & lots of easy running. IMO if increased performance is your goal you're going to need more 2x day workouts. IDK if you've got the time for that though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply