Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel
Quote | Reply
The thread on rotational drag got me thinking. I imagine that it is possible to research this on the interwebs, but I suspect that STers might already know:

What is/are the lowest spoke count deep rim (i.e., metal spokes with a carbon rim) front wheel(s) that can mount a disc brake rotor? Wheels from reputable designer/manufacturers that are easily or somewhat easily available?

How about for similar rear wheels?

In other words, for TT and tri, how low do the spoke counts go for decent and fast disc brake compatible race wheelsets?

(this question is obviously ignoring solid discs and tri spokes)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not seen a front disc hub that has a lower spoke count than 24.
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

I second that. Everything I can think of is 24 front and rear, with 2-cross lacing all around. Typically on j-bend hubs, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I managed to get some dt swiss 350's in 20 for a center lock front hub.

Good luck finding much if anything under 24.
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
RichardL wrote:

I second that. Everything I can think of is 24 front and rear, with 2-cross lacing all around. Typically on j-bend hubs, too.

All of Roval's current generation Carbon Road Disc Brake rims (32,50,64mm) have 21 spoke Fronts and 24 spoke rears with Straight Pull DT Aerolites
Last edited by: GatorRacer: Feb 5, 19 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
gregk wrote:
RichardL wrote:

All of Roval's current generation Carbon Road Disc Brake rims (32,50,64mm) have 21 spoke Fronts and 24 spoke rears with Straight Pull DT Aerolites

21 spoke fronts?
How does that work?

More spokes on one side of the wheel?
If yes, that seems like a first for a front wheel !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 5, 19 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:
gregk wrote:
RichardL wrote:

21 spoke fronts?

How does that work?

Yes...2:1 Lacing...All Roval rims utilize this technique
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
21 spoke fronts?
How does that work?

If yes, that seems like a first for a front wheel !

I thought the same thing, but it looks like he's right: https://rovalcomponents.com/...heels/products/cl-50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:
gregk wrote:
RichardL wrote:

21 spoke fronts?

How does that work?

Yes...2:1 Lacing...All Roval rims utilize this technique

Gotcha, now I follow. Kind of a wild pattern for a front wheel.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen anything less than 24h. IMO a 24h disc front wheel is pushing the envelope of how low you can go. That's the same as rear wheels. Rear wheels generally support a lot more weight on road bikes, but not so much on TT and Tri bikes. Rear wheels also need to transfer torque (whether they are disc or not), but this torque is never as high as what can be experienced in extreme braking.

Maybe if I'm bored I'll do the calculations later (or look them up, I know I've done them in the past), but I know the effect of braking torque on spoke tension and rim/hub stress can be quite high. I think that most designers are assuming that the average person will rarely if ever experience an extreme braking event, so they don't really need to design a margin for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Roval approach isn't that novel. 2:1 lacing has been used for decades on some rear wheels to help compensate for highly uneven spoke tension due to dish. Disc front hubs have lots of dish now as well, so it makes some sense. On a disc hub this also allows you to make one of the hub flanges very small and take it out of the torque picture altogether. And if you make the other flange very large you can mitigate the amount that spoke tension needs to change to deal with torque.

The bad thing about 2:1 lacing is that if you break a spoke on the "1" side the wheel will usually warp so badly it becomes jammed in the frame or fork. That's why I quit building wheels that way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolf still makes (nice) wheels and they're (generally) 16 spokes
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I haven't seen anything less than 24h. IMO a 24h disc front wheel is pushing the envelope of how low you can go. That's the same as rear wheels. Rear wheels generally support a lot more weight on road bikes, but not so much on TT and Tri bikes. Rear wheels also need to transfer torque (whether they are disc or not), but this torque is never as high as what can be experienced in extreme braking.

Maybe if I'm bored I'll do the calculations later (or look them up, I know I've done them in the past), but I know the effect of braking torque on spoke tension and rim/hub stress can be quite high. I think that most designers are assuming that the average person will rarely if ever experience an extreme braking event, so they don't really need to design a margin for that.

My mountain bike runs 24 spoke front and rear with zero problems.
With carbon rims there is far less deviation when a spoke breaks, but I don't see why I should be worrying about spoke breakage, just spec and build the wheel well.
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim_Canterbury wrote:
Rolf still makes (nice) wheels and they're (generally) 16 spokes

Close. Rolf rim wheels are 16spoke, but Disc wheels are still 20 spokes (which is still lower than anything else I've seen).

Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.corima.com/carbon-wheels/road/disc-brake.html?isorc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
technically 2 Spokes would be the least amount of spokes you could get on a disc brake front wheel

http://www.2-spoke.com/product/cfd-clincher-front-disc/
Quote Reply
Re: Lowest spoke count disc brake compatible wheel [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The bad thing about 2:1 lacing is that if you break a spoke on the "1" side the wheel will usually warp so badly it becomes jammed in the frame or fork. That's why I quit building wheels that way.

Yup, good point.

And such a failure on a rear wheel would not be fun.
But such a failure on a front wheel?
Yikes.
That would probably be life changing, and not in a good way.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never actually experienced it, but there were some who did. I performed some experiments where I built a wheel and loosened a spoke, and it was bad. As was mentioned earlier, a stiff rim will help though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
rruff wrote:

Yup, good point.

And such a failure on a rear wheel would not be fun.
But such a failure on a front wheel?
Yikes.
That would probably be life changing, and not in a good way.

I have been involved with rim development for Roval for a few years now, and this is not something I have seen...Sure it can happen but EVERY single Specialized SWorks and Pro level Tarmac, Venge, Roubaix, etc...have been spec'd with these 21H Front Disc wheels (CL and CLX levels) This is not a brag, but that is 10's of thousands of bikes.

Spokes can break (or pull thru) but that does not result in catastrophic failure generally speaking. The 2:1 lacing is a very robust way to build a wheel and we tested it heavily to validate our decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know that the wheels are reliable.

But I was not saying that the wheel would just buckle if a spoke broke.

I was more talking about if losing a spoke on the radially-laced 7-spoke side would cause the rim/tire unit to deform to such a degree as to hit the fork blade. Which I imagine would probably lock up the front wheel. Does that happen? Or, would that be possible?

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 7, 19 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Good to know that the wheels are reliable.

But I was not saying that the wheel would just buckle if a spoke broke.

I was more talking about if losing a spoke on the radially-laced 7-spoke side would cause the rim or tire to deform to such a degree as to hit the fork blade. Which would probably lock the front wheel. Does that happen? Or, would that be possible?

There are a lot of variables to consider in this hypothetical scenario but generally speaking this is not an issue to be concerned about...of course designing a rim for low spoke count is key...I would not say that you can take the same exact rim and drill it any way possible. You need to consider spoke count upfront.
Quote Reply