Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
orphious wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
orphious wrote:
chaparral wrote:
getcereal wrote:
Covington Boys (MAGA Hats) are suing Wapo for $250 million. That would be awesome if they won.

Why not?
"The lawsuit claims that the newspaper “wrongfully targeted and bullied” the teen"- Nobody likes a bully!
- $250 million, chump change for Bezos.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-covington-suit/teen-in-lincoln-memorial-protest-sues-washington-post-for-250-million-idUSKCN1Q82SW

That compliant is a wild ride, this is my favorite part where they pretend that the kid has zero history of political history. I mean, that was a pretty central part of the story that was completly true.

I just can't believe a lawyer is getting paid to do this, I mean that is just taking advantage of the family.

Really?? Which part of that statement is untrue?

Wasn't he engaged in political activism at the time?

Possibly.. he was on school trip with class his to attend the rally. That does not make him a political activist or show he has a history of activism.

So traveling from home to attend a political rally, is not a political activity?

Yes. So what? How does that show a history of political activism or aggression?
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
chaparral wrote:
orphious wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
orphious wrote:
chaparral wrote:
getcereal wrote:
Covington Boys (MAGA Hats) are suing Wapo for $250 million. That would be awesome if they won.

Why not?
"The lawsuit claims that the newspaper “wrongfully targeted and bullied” the teen"- Nobody likes a bully!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-covington-suit/teen-in-lincoln-memorial-protest-sues-washington-post-for-250-million-idUSKCN1Q82SW

That compliant is a wild ride, this is my favorite part where they pretend that the kid has zero history of political history. I mean, that was a pretty central part of the story that was completly true.

I just can't believe a lawyer is getting paid to do this, I mean that is just taking advantage of the family.

Possibly.. he was on school trip with class his to attend the rally. That does not make him a political activist or show he has a history of activism.

So traveling from home to attend a political rally, is not a political activity?

Well, it shows a history of political activism.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
orphious wrote:
chaparral wrote:
orphious wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
orphious wrote:
chaparral wrote:
getcereal wrote:

Why not?

Well, it shows a history of political activism.

No. It really doesn't. Despite how badly you want to label him a political activist...
Last edited by: orphious: Feb 20, 19 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
He'll probably make that much back suing the National Enquirer anyhow, so it's pretty much a wash :p

the Enquirer is broke - Bezos will get nothing but the satisfaction of driving them out of business
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orph, you know how this plays out. You're arguing with someone who has never found fault in anything ever from the left, and will/would find fault in anything and everything from the right. It's a time-sucking waste of energy, you may as well argue with a Demo-bot, it may have more original thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i'll be curious to hear what the lawyers think, but this feels like a pretty long walk to me for the prosecution. i don't know us libel law, particularly, but some thoughts:

-the post didn't break this story - it broke on twitter, and had gone viral by the time they covered it.

-the burden of proof here seems large: they'll need to establish that the post knowingly wrote falsehoods and that those falsehoods caused meaningful damage and that the newsworthiness of the event did not outweigh the potential damage of their speculation.

-the statement includes all kinds of stuff ('liberal media mob') that is neither here nor there w/r/t the case and seems like it's there to establish moral indignation (which is a tricky play) or to blow dog whistles to garner support from some quarters (a safer play). similarly, it suggests the post 'bullied' him, which seems a bit silly: it's easy to disprove and not illegal regardless.

-given the previous point, perhaps the intention is to set up a gofundme for this thing.

-the damages feel outrageous. given that he's a teen, he can't yet reasonably claim that his income was negatively impacted, and unless he planned on being, say, a top-flight surgeon and has now been forever prevented from doing so, it's hard to claim that 250 million represents lost future income, either. is there other stuff here? has his family been threatened or something?

Repeaters, like the post, can be liable. The 250 million damages number is for shock value only. It's not a real number.

I still think retraction and possibly an apology will be among the relief they get. Family needs to restore their son's reputation. Labeling him a racist probably is defamation per se (per se means reputational harm presumed).

The kid is not a public figure, not even a limited one as far as I can tell. He didn't knowingly inject himself into anything. He just stood there. That will lessen the liability standard of proof.

Interesting timing, the filing of this suit alongside Justice Thomas' criticism of the NY Times v. Sullivan case (which imposed an actual malice standard, particularly for media defendants, when matters of public interest are concerned).

I doubt this case gets that far or even close. Probably will settle pretty quickly. Bad facts for the media defendants. Bad facts often make bad law. Some may fight depending on what they actually reported (yet, probably ultimate settle in exchange for retraction). False fact that is published and injures reputation is actionable. Opinion is not actionable. Defamation in the US is a very complex and nuanced area of law given its intersection with the 1A.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
orph, you know how this plays out. You're arguing with someone who has never found fault in anything ever from the left, and will/would find fault in anything and everything from the right. It's a time-sucking waste of energy, you may as well argue with a Demo-bot, it may have more original thoughts.

Yeep.. I'm not going down this rabbit hole any further.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would a civil libel case involve discovery? would that matter? presumably the post could win by finding that this kid once forwarded a racist meme by email or something? or, similarly, the kid could win by discovering internal emails of the post saying, "let's get this sucker!"

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, discovery allowed. I dont think the old, truth is a defense gambit, is something we’ll see in this case.

Don’t get me wrong, truth is a defense. But not here.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
It's not about personal damages, it's about a social or public castigation.

People don't sue a big corporation over some kind of physical injury for $100 mil just to be able to live. It is also an intent to make it an obstacle to others acting in the same way.

I feel like something like this isn't necessarily a bad move. News needs to get away from the tabloid BS and back to, news.

I feel like the age of the Bobbits, OJ Simpson, and others really turned the media into a circus.

Maybe a little slap would get people back in line to before the 1990's.

In this case, I think the only reason the amount is that high is due to who owns WaPo.

He'll probably make that much back suing the National Enquirer anyhow, so it's pretty much a wash :p

Per the filing (which is probably illegal anyway), they picked $250m because that's exactly what Bezos paid for the post...

Kentucky law says the post has 10 days to print a retraction. This was filed 5 days after the request for a retraction - the post still had 5 days to comply.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
spudone wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
It's not about personal damages, it's about a social or public castigation.

People don't sue a big corporation over some kind of physical injury for $100 mil just to be able to live. It is also an intent to make it an obstacle to others acting in the same way.

I feel like something like this isn't necessarily a bad move. News needs to get away from the tabloid BS and back to, news.

I feel like the age of the Bobbits, OJ Simpson, and others really turned the media into a circus.

Maybe a little slap would get people back in line to before the 1990's.

In this case, I think the only reason the amount is that high is due to who owns WaPo.

Per the filing (which is probably illegal anyway), they picked $250m because that's exactly what Bezos paid for the post...

Kentucky law says the post has 10 days to print a retraction. This was filed 5 days after the request for a retraction - the post still had 5 days to comply.

Can you point out where in the complaint the false information the Post published?
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
JSA wrote:
LOL! Some day this case will appear in a law school text book in the chapter on frivolous lawsuits. But, hey, the attorney will get his 15 minutes of fame, so, good for him!
The kid should start preparing to sue this lawyer. Of course, he'll need another lawyer.
Lots of interesting reading in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

Why not?

What are the chances that the payout will happen even if the MAGA boy wins? Does the other guy has so much money? If no, what is the point of suing hi? To ruin him financially?
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
six

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
getcereal wrote:

Why not?

What are the chances that the payout will happen even if the MAGA boy wins? Does the other guy has so much money? If no, what is the point of suing hi? To ruin him financially?

Indispensable party perhaps.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
JSA wrote:
LOL! Some day this case will appear in a law school text book in the chapter on frivolous lawsuits. But, hey, the attorney will get his 15 minutes of fame, so, good for him!

The kid should start preparing to sue this lawyer. Of course, he'll need another lawyer.

Lots of interesting reading in this thread.

Hmmm I wonder why you would post this and bring this thread back to the top. I'm sure there is a reason somewhere out there in the interwebs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search of interwebs reveals that CNN just settled with the Catholic kid.

Interestingly, the shouting in DC that involved Sandmann and the Native American dude, was sparked by Black Israelites from NYC.

And the Black Israelites are linked to to Jersey City kosher deli mass shooting.

A kid with a funny grin occupied many news cycles and social media hours, while there is little discussion of a real bad group of folks.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
A kid with a funny grin occupied many news cycles and social media hours, while there is little discussion of a real bad group of folks.

Unfortunately not surprising at all. Screw the media.
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyer for Covington teen goes after media 'mob,' [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Search of interwebs reveals that CNN just settled with the Catholic kid.

Interestingly, the shouting in DC that involved Sandmann and the Native American dude, was sparked by Black Israelites from NYC.

And the Black Israelites are linked to to Jersey City kosher deli mass shooting.

I can picture the kid in his twenties sitting on a pile of cash, hanging out in his mansion with hoes walking around topless. There he is penning out a long letter to the the Black Israelite agitators. Thanking them for making him super rich by being assholes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next