Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 weeks out from 70.3, probably wont be running for 5 weeks
Quote | Reply
So my 2019 plans were to run the Houston Marathon a few weekends ago and then Galveston 70.3. IT band issues flared up about 6 weeks ago causing me to drop out of the Marathon. I took 5 weeks off and did some PT while focusing on the bike and swim. Last week I started with some easy 2 and 3 mile runs with a 5 miler on Sunday. This week I bumped up to 6 miler. I felt it a little during the run today, but now its without a doubt flared right back up as Im sitting around.

So I'm probably looking at 5-6 more weeks of little to no running. At best I'll be able to get after it 5 weeks out from the race after nearly 3 months of little to no running.

I've seen plenty talk about going into races relying on bike and swim fitness to fill the gap while healing a run injury. What's the best way to approach it? If 2-3 mile runs dont aggravate it, do I just load up on those and try to keep weekly mileage as high as I can with that?

Just demoralizing as these two races were the whole focus since late summer. I was faster than ever before in December with expectations to realistically run 13.1 at the end of a 70.3 at my current stand alone PR time.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks out from 70.3, probably wont be running for 5 weeks [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look up the pete pfzinger article and protocol on water running. If you do enough and go hard enough you will lose zero. CAnt just go thru the motions, have to go hard and do it right.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks out from 70.3, probably wont be running for 5 weeks [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a similar type issue leading into IM Barca last year.
Zero running for the 5 weeks leading into it but was able to get in some extra biking and swimming.

What saved me was aqua running. Basically got into the pool neck deep and focused on run form breaking it up between easy, steady and interval stuff. As the leg improved i was able to go a little shallower and allow a little more weight on the muscles.
Did a lot of session of between 30-60mins. Trust me you be tired by the end of a solid 60min session. Also found it good for the head as felt i was running. You get some funny looks but def stood to me.
Last edited by: Rodneyr1981: Jan 31, 19 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks out from 70.3, probably wont be running for 5 weeks [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a plantar plate tear in my right foot that I developed in late 2011. Running just hurt. In 2012 I had Texas 70.3 in April, Syracuse 70.3 in June, and IMAZ in November. I suffered through the two 70.3s and shut down the running per doctor's orders for pretty much the rest of the year. I did zero running from basically end of June until IMAZ. I rode my bike a lot, and did aqua jogging maybe 3-4x per week for 30 minutes each time because it's god awful boring.

My slowest IM run on record but it wasn't too horrible in the grand scheme of things. Still almost broke 11 hours on zero run training.

My advice is to do a bit of aqua jogging for the sake of form and technique. Use the extra time for more bike and swim. Being in excellent swim and bike shape can compensate some for the suffering you're going to endure on the run.

Quote:
So I'm probably looking at 5-6 more weeks of little to no running. At best I'll be able to get after it 5 weeks out from the race after nearly 3 months of little to no running.

That line there is where the concern lies. Lots of folks (not saying that will be you but...) try to do WAY TOO much running in those last few weeks you're supposedly healed and better. Basically trying to cram for a test. You cannot make up for the lost time in those last few weeks but you can get injured again. So don't go trying to bust out 40 miles/week or run 13 miles when you haven't done it in nearly three months. Nothing good can come from that. So keep it easy, short, and simple with the running those last few weeks.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 31, 19 5:46
Quote Reply
Re: 10 weeks out from 70.3, probably wont be running for 5 weeks [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything under 4 miles over the last week and a half has not hurt at all. I'm going to take another week or two off and try an easy 2 miles. I'm hoping I can possibly keep 2-3 mile runs in my training. Possibly on long run days, see if 3 in the morning, 3 at lunch, 3 in the evening works out for me. But at the first hint of an issue, I'm shutting it down.

Aqua jogging in tough for me. Pool I swim at isn't set up well for it. There's not deeper section. I'm sure practice makes it better, but I've tried it in the past with other nagging things and "proper form" is far from what I'd use to describe what came out of that, haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a severe injury/muscle deficiency going into 70.3 worlds where I basically did not run from February until the race (September). I created a strength training plan with a help of PT friend where I basically never ran over 10mi in a week (all treadmill, and mainly 15' warm up jogs before strength sessions). Anyway, I ended up running my 3rd fastest half (1:25:XX/70.3 PR: 1:23:XX) and had never been more powerful on the bike. Strength works! PM if you are interested.

Disclaimer: I ran collegiately, so years of running probably helped. Plus my PT friend worked for an NFL team and the program was not for the faint at heart (at least not for my heart). 2hr sessions/3-4x a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:

Aqua jogging in tough for me. Pool I swim at isn't set up well for it. There's not deeper section. I'm sure practice makes it better, but I've tried it in the past with other nagging things and "proper form" is far from what I'd use to describe what came out of that, haha.

I did all my aqua jogging in my backyard pool which was 5' max depth. Just get one of those floaty belts that come with most aqua jogging sets. That eliminates the need for deep water.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strained my calf 6-7 weeks before a 70.3 and this was after several weeks of no running from being sick. Different injury and timeline but take what you will from my experience. I wasn't able to run again until 1 week before the race, and that was short 20-30min runs with walk breaks. To try and maintain fitness, I worked on the elliptical (similar motion but not as much impact on legs) and on hiking. Because I hadn't done any long runs in quite a while, I walked the aid stations. I was still able to run at/near my goal pace while I was running, but ended up about 10 min slower than original goal time with the walking. I feel the walk break gave my calf enough of a rest to allow me to complete the race with no issues.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just my advice and what I would do, but obviously each person is individual!

I would rest for a month or so and see how you feel. Focus big time on bike fitness and keeping that strong. I would basically keep your normal 70.3 schedule but add time to the rides and an extra day of cycling.

Once you are pain free walking/other activities try to add in the shorter runs (post biking if you can). I would say that a couple longer runs before the race would be ideal if you can handle it. "Longer" meaning an hour - that should give your legs a bit of hardening so you can walk/run the half. I definitely wouldn't do those longer runs more than 2 weeks-10 days out from the race. If you plan for walk breaks during the race at aid stations and you should be ok. Not fast, but ok fitness wise.
Quote Reply