Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3C with Ultegra DI2
Quote | Reply
So I'm in the process of upgrading my old P3C to electronic shifting. SRAM Etap seems to be the easiest way, but also the most expensive. For the same money I can get a full ultegra DI2 groupset.
I have no idea where to start however, and most blogposts I found about a conversion are pretty old. Not sure if much has changed in the possibilities of using DI2 on an older frame? Or should i just go with etap and spend the extra money?
Quote Reply
Re: P3C with Ultegra DI2 [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tl;dr: if you can install the wiring and battery internally, go Di2. If not, then go eTap.

I do not know anything about the P3C specifically, but here are a few guiding thoughts...
  • I have R8000 Di2 on my TT bike and eTap on my road bike. I love them both.
  • IMHO, routing Di2 wires internally and internally mounting the battery internally are top priority. This means you need good frame entry points at the cockpit and ability to fish wires to the bottom bracket. Then, you will need a good routing path from the BB to the rear derailleur. And, battery typically mounts inside the seat tube. If you cannot accomplish these, then I would go eTap.
  • The downsides to eTap are big Blip Box that you cannot hide and no integrated shift brake levers, so you have to install separate blips on the base bar.
  • I prefer Di2 on my TT bike because it is easier to hide the cockpit wiring and junctions than the eTap blip and wiring. And, I absolutely love Shimano's synchro shift on TT bikes.
  • eTap shifts wonderfully and is crazy intuitive and simple. IMHO, their shift design and user interface suits road bike riding better than TT riding, and I would probably never install Di2 on a road bike if eTap were an option there.

Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 30, 19 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: P3C with Ultegra DI2 [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tririg mod is very easy to do with UI2. One hole to drill, a few longer wires, battery in the seat post, and B switch in the down tube. On my wife's bike I ran the the rear derailleur wire through the chain stay and used a small ziptie to direct it away fro the spokes.

Good luck,

Don
Quote Reply