Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Just can't believe this!Whats next! [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of what you gentleman are saying is why I'm thoroughly enjoying college. Everyone who shows up for that class wants to be there to some extent and doesn't take every chance they have to disrupt the instructor. Theres no asshole kid in the room who has to act immature and take away from what I want to do. As I graduated from highschool a year ago, I have clear memories of what you're talking about. Also, my mother is a secretary in an elementary school and often tells me about how children's parents can't even be bothered to pick up their own children from school, much less pay some attention to their education. I really respect what you do and have thought about going into education, although I would prefer to be a college professor to being a grade school teacher.

Although I by no means came from a rich family, I was highly motivated to do well in school. My parents kept an eye on my work untill I figured out what I needed to do, which took place around sophmore year of highschool. The attention of my parents really made all the difference, as it has with both my brother and sister. They made sure that I was keeping my grades up, completing my work and behaving. I never cut a class or a day or school or failed to hand in assignments on purpose.

As I said before, I realized early in high school that if I didn't end up doing my work, I would end up going to a shit college and paying out the ass for it or worse. My friends, the problem kids you have talked about, never figured this out. Two years later, I'm paying 3 grand to go to a fringe ivy league school and they're all attending a shitty state tech school for three times what I pay, living at home or working at wal mart. And it still continues. I finished this semester with a 3.8 while competing in cross country and track, and the guys I went to high school with ended up with anywhere from a .46 to a 2.8 while doing nothing.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Just can't believe this!Whats next! [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter is a very bright 4th grader. At her school they have an assembly when a report card is about to be released and award all the kids that received straight As and another award for the A/Bs. She usually is in the A/B category so I am used to attending these assemblies. Something I have noticed recently is that the A/B category is really growing. Great, right? Well, I certainly hope so. I just have this feeling that some of these kids are being pushed through.

Why would I have this feeling? Well, at the sake of embarrassing my little girl, and don't any of you mention I told you all this, she had a little problem last quarter and should not have received that A/B report. She missed a book report, one of those once a month major projects, and was either late in turning in a few other things or did not turn them in at all. Now, I know you are all saying that is something I should have known and the strange thing is I know. I should have known. I volunteer at that school (I also have a son in second grade) so I am in her class talking to the teacher at least on a weekly basis. Her teacher only had good things to say, never mentioning the missed or late projects... until the report card came out. Now, by the way the teacher was talking about my daughter, I was expecting straight As. She received a B in English so I had to ask and that is when I found out. Then the teacher said this, and it floored me. "She should have told you she did not turn them in". I totally disagree based on the amount of times I had asked about her progress. Now, if notice of the assignment was sent home or a note saying she did not turn it in and I ignored it, then I could see her point. I believe the teacher should have said something and not assumed it was ok for her student to not turn in her work, and expect a 4th grader to tattle on herself. And another thing. My daughter deserved an F for not turning it in. Well, she got the message and is now turning everything in and early if possible. I just have no idea where she gets that procrastination trait! :)

In closing, I believe in grades truly reflecting the abilities and work of the student. I believe in the honor roll system and rewarding students for that hard work and most importantly, that that award be made public, just like in real life... I also believe there ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing astroturf and the designated hitter... and long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days... goodnight :)

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: Just can't believe this!Whats next! [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to explain to kids that at some point we all figure out education is important. some figure out in high school, other figure it out as they contemplate yet another horizontal career change (one crap job to another).

I figured it out my junior year of college when I realized I wasn't talented enough to make the majors and the minor leagues were unappealing (had friends/coaches in the minors, it's not all it's cracked up to be).

At the end of my junior year, my GPA was 2.05 (just eligible). It was due to my choices. Being sober most nights was not a choice I made (proud of it at the time). Luckily, I am naturally pretty smart with a very high reading level. So, I was able to recover from this and bust my butt for the next 4-6 years (retaking many classes) getting close to a 4.0 for those years, and a 3.3 overall. My bad choices cost me more money that I wish to know about. Really, I don't want to know.

At one point in time, EVERYONE realizes just how important education is hard work is. Again, I know people that are not educated that are millionaires, but man did they have to work to the bone to get it done.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply

Prev Next