Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB30-GXP please help !
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I've a problem. I've got a Quart that's GXP but recently bought a Cannondale that's BB30. I purchased Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to GXP adaptors but when I pop them in and put on the cranks there's very little of the splines visible on the non drive side. I can get the crank arm on but then when I tighten it, it's very stiff.

Am I missing something here or doing something wrong ?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section of the site.
Quote Reply
Re: BB30-GXP please help ! [Anton Chigurh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using any spacers? What conversion kit is it, the one that threads into the BB?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: BB30-GXP please help ! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. It didn't come with any so I assumed didn't require them. It's the Wheels Manufacturing one. Basically two cups that press into place against the bottom bracket bearing in the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What frame model/year, specifically. Cannondale, recently, has mostly used BB30A or PF30A. Which are both wider than standard BB30 and PF30, and might give you problems with pure BB30 adapters.

<insert rant on BB "standards" here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale BB's are slighly wider, they use their own standards. For my quarq then I just needed to remove a spacer from the BB30 spindle, but that's a native BB30. You may be out of luck here, as I am not sure that removable spacer is on the GXP ones.

There is a specific support note/page on the quarq site. However, you may be best giving Quarq a call with the specifics of the unit you have (serial number, model) and they will be able to tell you definitively if you can do it.

ETA: The cannondale frame you have is BB30a (not BB30). That's 5mm wider on the non drive side. So you need to remove 5mm off that left crank. As I say, the quarq BB30 cranks have a 5mm spacer on that non-drive side that you remove and so you're good to go with your cannondale frame.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Jan 27, 19 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Anton,

Good chance your Cannondale frame has a BB30a bottom bracket shell. It's is exactly like BB30, except the left side is 5 mm wider (asymmetrical, thus the "a" in BB30a). This is the Wheels adapter you need for BB30a:

https://wheelsmfg.com/...s-sram-truvativ.html

It contains one normal width adapter, plus one narrower one and a bunch of spacers to work with different width frames.

Assemble the normal width adapter on the right, just like BB30, and the narrower one on the left. Then follow Wheels' directions for various spacers. Wheels is great with customer service and are more familiar with their adapters than I am so don't hesitate to give them a call.

Sounds like you may have an earlier BB30 adapter from Wheels, which contains two normal width (wider) adapters so is too wide for your BB30a shell.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jan 27, 19 17:15
Quote Reply
Re: BB30-GXP please help ! [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon is correct. I have an older 2011 CAAD10 that has the original 68mm BB30 shell and the original Wheels Manufacturing adapters for my GXP quarq. It worked perfect with no spacers needed.

I ordered a replacement set of cups in 2017 and accidentally ordered the "Universal BB30" cups from Wheels Manufacturing not knowing there are now two options. These cups were designed to also work with the new 73mm wide BB30a standard that came out in 2015 or so hence the non drive side cup is 5 mm thinner but it can still work with my current 68mm shell so long as I use 5 mm of spacers on the non drive side.
Quote Reply
Re: BB30-GXP please help ! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero spacers. Non threaded adaptors. They just press into the shell against the bearings.

I had the Shimano hollowtech version of the same adaptors in the same frame literally a week ago and they run perfect but for some reason the GXP ones are stiff.
Quote Reply
Re: BB30-GXP please help ! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 2015 model Synapse Hi-Mod. Says BB30 on the bottom of the down tube. No mention of BB30A anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: BB30-GXP please help ! [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anton Chigurh wrote:
It's a 2015 model Synapse Hi-Mod. Says BB30 on the bottom of the down tube. No mention of BB30A anywhere.

That model is BB30A. E.g. here.

So Damon's (any my!) advice are correct. He should know. Though someone at Cannondale should sent you a gift certificate for both lying on the bike label and for constantly fiddling with bottom bracket "standards."
Quote Reply