Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today
Quote | Reply
If you read this article and your immediate reaction is to defend immigration and not acknowledge this is a legitimate concern both health and cost wise, you have lost your ability to think clearly.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ood-of-sick-migrants
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the US. In the UK the overwhelming evidence is that in spite of all the slurs about immigrants being drains on public services, they are in the aggregate net contributors. They pay more in tax than they draw out, they are usually young, healthy and work.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I can't speak to the US. In the UK the overwhelming evidence is that in spite of all the slurs about immigrants being drains on public services, they are in the aggregate net contributors. They pay more in tax than they draw out, they are usually young, healthy and work.

Gee! I wonder why!

Theresa May unveils new UK immigration system
The plan is designed to cut low-skilled migration to Britain from the European Union.
. . .

"It will be a skills-based system where it is workers’ skills that matter, not where they come from. It will be a system that looks across the globe and attracts the people with the skills we need," she said. "Crucially it will be fair to ordinary working people. For too long people have felt they have been ignored on immigration and that politicians have not taken their concerns seriously enough."

An official government white paper detailing how the new system will work will be published later this fall, ahead of a formal Immigration Bill next year, according to the statement. Those wanting to stay in the U.K. long term will have to prove they have the skills to "meet Britain’s needs."

"Applicants will need to meet a minimum salary threshold to ensure they are not competing for jobs that could otherwise be recruited in the U.K.," the press release said. "Successful applicants for high-skilled work would be able to bring their immediate family but only if sponsored by their future employers."

https://www.politico.eu/...-immigration-system/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twats. It's a nonsense. With zero revision they were still a net benefit but it plays well to the old fucks that think Ahmed or Jose or Franz has come and taken their fucking job and is living on welfare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Twats. It's a nonsense. With zero revision they were still a net benefit but it plays well to the old fucks that think Ahmed or Jose or Franz has come and taken their fucking job and is living on welfare.

Gee! I wonder why!

The government has aimed to reduce net migration since 2010 and several policy changes have been introduced to limit immigration of non-EU nationals in one of the three main categories: work, study, and family. Eligibility criteria to enter the UK for work have become more selective for non-EU nationals. In 2011, a cap of 20,700 was introduced for employer-sponsored skilled migration and the minimum skills and language requirements were increased. Two immigration routes were closed which previously allowed skilled migrants and former international students to work in the UK without a specific job offer. However, new visas were introduced to admit graduate entrepreneurs and individuals with “exceptional” talents in the fields of science, academia, the arts, or digital technology1 (Home Office 2012, HM Government 2015b). From 2012, British nationals applying to bring a non-EU national partner to the UK are required to have a minimum annual income of £18,600, up from a post-tax income of £5,500 before 2012. The required amount increases to £22,400 if they want to bring one child, and each extra child adds a further £2,400 to the requirement (Gower 2015a). The new measures also reduced the permitted working hours for international students, raised language requirements for students at further education colleges, and limited international students’ right to bring family members to the UK (Home Office 2012). It also became more difficult for former international students to remain in the UK following their studies without a specific job offer (Gower 2015b). Moreover, education providers have been subjected to more demanding requirements, for example, education providers sponsoring non-EU students were required to apply for ‘highly trusted sponsor’ status; to gain this status, providers must meet criteria that include a high rate of students completing courses (85 % or more) and low rates of students having their visas refused (less than 10 %) (Home Office 2015b; Gower 2015b).

https://www.perfar.eu/policy/migration/uk

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who was home secretary for all that period and was an abject failure.......

Total aside. 2.0 tfsi is fantastic in s1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The UK, much like Canada, has a point-based, restrictive immigration policy. It is nearly impossible for such a policy to fail. Instead of clamoring for their healthcare systems, Donkeys in the US should be adopting the immigration systems of those countries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
If you read this article and your immediate reaction is to defend immigration and not acknowledge this is a legitimate concern both health and cost wise, you have lost your ability to think clearly.

What does "defend immigration" mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:

What does "defend immigration" mean?

See Post #2 in the thread.

If you read that article and your mind immediately goes to immigration talking points, you know you have stopped thinking.

Note, I'm not suggesting because of this one article we should extrapolate "all immigrants bad". I'm just saying if you read that article and didn't think, "Well that's an area of immigration that we can all agree we can fix", you have stopped thinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Note, I'm not suggesting because of this one article we should extrapolate "all immigrants bad". I'm just saying if you read that article and didn't think, "Well that's an area of immigration that we can all agree we can fix", you have stopped thinking.

I'm still a little confused. But I'd point out that "immigration" isn't a symptom not cause of the issue in your article. People choose to take on enormous health and safety risks by emigrating because that path is *preferable* to staying put. The root cause is shitty conditions where the people are coming from.

On the other hand, at least in the U.S., I don't think anyone is happy with the status quo. I just think that we're where we're at because we don't agree on a fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like these are asylum seekers. What is your proposal for how legitimate asylum seekers are handled?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you think i've stopped thinking

Evidence is not a talking point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Saw this and thought that, yes, it's good to know who is coming and going. Also, it's a good thing healthcare is free in the US!

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A man among a group of migrants detained in a desolate part of New Mexico near the border with Mexico has been diagnosed as infected with flesh-eating bacteria, the U.S. Border Patrol said Friday."

"A statement from border patrol officials said the unidentified migrant will require extensive medical treatment. Antunez said he could not provide more details or the man’s condition."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Not sure how you think i've stopped thinking

Evidence is not a talking point

I linked an article (with evidence) that this one small area is struggling with sick and unvaccinated migrants. You responded with,
"In the UK the overwhelming evidence is that in spite of all the slurs about immigrants being drains on public services, they are in the aggregate net contributors. They pay more in tax than they draw out, they are usually young, healthy and work."

The article wasn't offering slurs and I did not point to this article as the reason why we need a border wall and should limit immigration.

I am making the point that we need to get consensus on the obvious issues without retreating to our corners immediately.

I have no idea if migrants are net contributors, but I feel for this specific town that is being overwhelmed by the cost and potential health risks specific migrants pose.

I don't have the answer.

It's sad, but I'd settle for us all saying, "We can agree that's a problem".

The first step of building consensus on big things is building consensus on little things. This is a little thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Sounds like these are asylum seekers. What is your proposal for how legitimate asylum seekers are handled?

Yeah, I don't know. I'm not an expert in the area and I wouldn't begin to posit a solution.

I certainly wouldn't want to live in the shithole lots of these people come from. However, I can also accept that we need to be thoughtful about the cost, risk, and approach we take to immigration.

The test I posed was if you read that article and didn't think, "Holy hell, what if that was my town they were loading these costs and health risks on?" and instead went right to, "Immigrants good", you might be letting your judgment get crowded by extraneous things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Yeah, I don't know. I'm not an expert in the area and I wouldn't begin to posit a solution.

I certainly wouldn't want to live in the shithole lots of these people come from. However, I can also accept that we need to be thoughtful about the cost, risk, and approach we take to immigration.

The test I posed was if you read that article and didn't think, "Holy hell, what if that was my town they were loading these costs and health risks on?" and instead went right to, "Immigrants good", you might be letting your judgment get crowded by extraneous things.

Per the article:

Quote:
Whipple said the best offense is a good defense and that each person taken into custody should be given medical screenings by actual medical personnel.

So my suggestion is that Trump put that $5.7B towards providing free health care for asylum seekers rather than building physical barriers.

I just don't see any alternative to re-treating to talking points. There are two diametrically opposing ideas about what to do. One idea is that cutting off almost every avenue to asylum and making the U.S. border like a military DMZ with no housing, food, or health services that immigration will drop because it will appear hopeless. The other idea is to open up asylum and provide services at taxpayer expense. In which case it will definitely relieve the humanitarian problem, but may encourage more so-called "economic migration."

It's a bit of a zero-sum game. I'm not sure there's a ton of middle ground.

Also I'm a bit jaded on this because immigration-as-humanitarian-issue is a newfound talking point (for Trump) introduced during his recent televised special. I'm a bit skeptical as to the sincerity. Of course it's not new. People have been dying for decades in in the border area. It's only sounds like a new problem because of a few deaths made the mainstream media when usually they don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    Curious as to your thoughts on sanctuary cities, now states, offering ever more to anyone who makes to their shores. Recent speeches by Newsome offering safe haven and medical for any person that arrives illegally in California, and similar from De Blasio in NYC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Per the article:

Quote:
Whipple said the best offense is a good defense and that each person taken into custody should be given medical screenings by actual medical personnel.

So my suggestion is that Trump put that $5.7B towards providing free health care for asylum seekers rather than building physical barriers.

I just don't see any alternative to re-treating to talking points. There are two diametrically opposing ideas about what to do. One idea is that cutting off almost every avenue to asylum and making the U.S. border like a military DMZ with no housing, food, or health services that immigration will drop because it will appear hopeless. The other idea is to open up asylum and provide services at taxpayer expense. In which case it will definitely relieve the humanitarian problem, but may encourage more so-called "economic migration."

It's a bit of a zero-sum game. I'm not sure there's a ton of middle ground.

Also I'm a bit jaded on this because immigration-as-humanitarian-issue is a newfound talking point (for Trump) introduced during his recent televised special. I'm a bit skeptical as to the sincerity. Of course it's not new. People have been dying for decades in in the border area. It's only sounds like a new problem because of a few deaths made the mainstream media when usually they don't.

I can see your point. I'd add to it, there's a part of the electorate that thinks screw the $5.7B for both the wall and the immigrants and invest that money into inner-city schools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
that thinks screw the $5.7B for both the wall and the immigrants and invest that money into inner-city schools.

Where do I sign?
Quote Reply
Re: Here's You LR / Border Question Test for Today [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Curious as to your thoughts on sanctuary cities, now states, offering ever more to anyone who makes to their shores. Recent speeches by Newsome offering safe haven and medical for any person that arrives illegally in California, and similar from De Blasio in NYC.

I don't know. "Sanctuary city" is really just kind of an umbrella/marketing term for a whole range of things. Some I'm fine with, some I'm not. There are so many gray areas. There are certainly some things that go too far. I'm not as up-to-date on Newsome as I should be given he's my governor. As with most I've been too focused on national politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Immigrants, and immigration, are both good. LEGAL immigrants and LEGAL immigration, that is.

What the left has done in a masterful manner is conflate legal and illegal immigration and legal and illegal immigrants so that they're indistinguishable in the minds of many. In the case of the second act and second group, however, there are problems from A to Z with both the act and the actors. I'd recommend keeping the focus of conversation on los inmigrantes ilegales.

Asylum seekers -- most of whom are now being coached by immigration attorneys to immediately verbalize certain key phrases that qualify them for an initial examination of their asylum claims -- can either be held until their cases are disposed of (something like 90% lose those cases) or sent back across the border to Mexico, which has now agreed to hold them there until their asylum cases are, in fact, heard. Sounds like a win-win all around.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply