Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What does "few" mean?
Quote | Reply
Someone tells you they'll be by to pick you up, or call you back, or respond in some way, "in a few." What time frame do you have in mind in which that should occur?

For example, your friend or boss or coworker is waiting to hear back from you about something, and you text them that you'll get back to them in a few. You get tied up or preoccupied. At what point should a follow up call or text be sent to clarify that you haven't forgotten about them, but it's taking longer than expected.

After 10-15 minutes? 20-40 minutes? An hour?

I don't know that a consensus exists on this.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 25, 19 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: What does "few" mean? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I teach my little kids that a couple is two, a few is 3 or more, up to a lot...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t use “ a few” without using a reference. A few minutes would be less than 5, a few hours (or dollars) would be no more than 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What does "few" mean? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a few is 15min or less. It has to be less than half an hour otherwise they would, or should, have said "I'll get back to you in 30 min."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under 30 min or so, but it can be context-dependent. For example, when visiting the in-laws we sometimes stay at MIL's house, but then will make plans to hang out with brother-in-law. It's not possible to get from BIL's house to MIL's house in less than 20 min. So when BIL tells us he'll be over in a few, we know it's going to be at least 30-ish minutes, and probably more like 45.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The doctor will see you in a few minutes. I think that doesn’t telll you much

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine used to always say "I'll be there in 5 minutes". He was never there in 5 minutes.

One day I was on the phone with him, he was on his way to my house. He says "I'll be there in 5 minutes". So I said, "Mike, I am not buying it. Where are you right now?".

He gives me his location. He was about 20 minutes away.

"Yeah, I'll see you in 20 minutes'.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone tells me "a few minutes", my expectation is 5 minutes or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Someone tells you they'll be by to pick you up, or call you back, or respond in some way, "in a few." What time frame do you have in mind in which that should occur?

For example, your friend or boss or coworker is waiting to hear back from you about something, and you text them that you'll get back to them in a few. You get tied up or preoccupied. At what point should a follow up call or text be sent to clarify that you haven't forgotten about them, but it's taking longer than expected.

After 10-15 minutes? 20-40 minutes? An hour?

I don't know that a consensus exists on this.

Friend.....up to 15
Boss....less than 5
Coworker....less than 10
Quote Reply
Re: What does "few" mean? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I wouldn’t use “ a few” without using a reference. A few minutes would be less than 5, a few hours (or dollars) would be no more than 3.

IME, just "a few" in the OP's context (time) is always minutes. If it were a few hours, I and everyone else I deal with would actually say 'hours' but minutes can be implied. Now just how fuzzy a few minutes is also can be context-dependent ~ i.e., if I say I'll be over to a co-worker's office/cube in a few, that's implicitly less (say, 5ish, 10 at most) than telling a friend across town that I'm just now getting in my car and will meet them for lunch at the strip club in a few (like maybe up to 15-20min).

I actually can't think of a scenario like that (estimating when someone could/should expect to see you) where 'a few hours' would ever be appropriate. That would be more like 'We went to the city last weekend to catch the game/show and goofed around the mall for a few hours to kill time until the arena opened' ~ nobody else's expectation is depending on anything approaching a realistic estimate of the time involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/url]flash < instant < jiffy < presently < second < moment < minute < shortly < few < soon < awhile < later < eventually < sooner or later < someday

[/url]
Quote Reply