Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remember the Caravan?
Quote | Reply
A comment on the hysteria preceding last fall's elections (and perhaps a prediction of the fuel for the next "WE NEED A WALL!" fearmongering tweetstorm from the dipshit in chief):
  • I read this morning that there's another caravan of thousands forming at the Mexican/Guatemalan border. The new Mexican president (the first leftist Mexican president in something like 70 years) has changed the former policy on such things to essentially welcome the migrants into Mexico with Visas and to assist their travel north to the border (Visas used to take months, now they're being processed within five days; I don't know the details of the alleged travel assistance).
  • A smaller "caravan" passed through the border maybe a month ago on its way to our border.
  • Through social media, the next large-scale caravan is being organized for February.

But not a conspicuous word of this from the usual outlets. The above was buried on the back page of this morning's WSJ Section A. That further proves to me that any fear of caravaning migrants was just political fuel, and not any sincere fear of the migrants.

So, here's my harebrained prediction/theory: The new caravan reaches Tijuana and its numbers augment the (I imagine) thousands that are still there after November's caravan reached the border. Conditions become truly untenable and this time there will be even more of an immigrant push to force its way through the border, which will surely be met by more tear gas and pictures of things we'd rather not exist. Maybe a large crowd of migrants actually breaches the border this time, and we'll be treated to video of them running north in I-5's traffic lanes (again).

Both Trump and Pelosi know this and are happy to wait for it to go down. They think public opinion will be swayed/galvanized in their political favor and they'll use that swing to "win" their stalemate. Trump thinks the coming attack on the border will show how much a wall is needed. Pelosi thinks the coming violence (or, least bad scenario, a humanitarian crisis among the migrants) will make the idea of the wall too distasteful to support.

I'm just spitballing here.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Remember the Caravan? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trump told us that the caravan was an "invasion" into the USA of entire gangs, ISIS members, etc.

For some reason, these bad hombres showed up at a port of entry.More than 99% of the invasion was stopped at the port of entry without much fan fair. I will take this to mean that the existing structures in place are pretty good to stop an invasion.

The problem with calling things an invasion, is when the large group shows up, and the invasion is stopped. You cant go to that well too often. If anything it makes it seem like the existing barriers are adequate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Remember the Caravan? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

The Swedes will magically appear to smash the caravan?!

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that the wrong caravan?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Remember the Caravan? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Was that the wrong caravan?

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding!

Quote Reply