Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 workouts
Quote | Reply
That's how long it takes to come back after a layoff before you know what your fitness level is.

Earlier this week I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine, as I was just getting back in the water after a few months off. I mentioned how slow I was, and he said to me "no worries, 10 practices and you'll be fine"

I think he's right. Thinking back over the years, as I came back from a layoff or transitioned from one sport to a different one, It would take about 10 workouts before I was back.

Swimming in university the first week after a break sucked, and then all was good.

Cycling - in university (post swim - doing my masters) I just raced when I was at home for my co-op placement (which ran Jan-April). First 2 weeks (or about 10 rides) I'd have trouble keeping up on the group rides, then after that, all was good.

Masters Swim - first 10 practices after I returned to the pool after a 22 year hiatus, or a 3 week summer break I'd get leg cramps and be slower than what my pace should be. On my initial return to the pool I had cramp issues for the first 3 weeks or so, swimming 3x per week.

Now that's not to say that I was at peak fitness after just 10 practices, absolutely not. But that's roughly how long it takes to get the cobwebs dusted off and your brain "remembers" how to be efficient, reconnecting some of that old wiring.

So far its just anecdotes, (myself and my mate). Does this theory hold up, or am I full of it?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 10 workouts [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Does this theory hold up, or am I full of it?

You may be right

The only way(s) to tell for sure would be to :

a) Look over your training log to see how long after an extended layoff it took for your workouts came back to "normal"
b) Actually TAKE a long layoff, and let yourself go enough that you have to work to get back in shape, and mindfully track your progress

There was a show on Lifetime a couple years ago called Fit to Fat to Fit, where pro trainers were matched up with people who desperately wanted to lose weight. For six weeks [maybe it was eight?] the clients worked out on their own to get [about] halfway to their goal. Meanwhile the trainers STOPPED working out, and bulked up to GAIN the weight the clients wanted to lose*

At the midpoint, they met up again, compared fitness levels [or lack thereof] then continued together; pros trying to get back where they started, and the clients reaching the weight loss goal

The effect on the pros was pretty fascinating: after an extended period of not working out AND just eating whatever garbage food they felt like, many of them experienced profound depression = classic Endorphin Withdrawal

* Not at ALL recommended, and HIGHLY criticized

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jan 18, 19 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: 10 workouts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why is that all crossed out?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, this requires multiple training sessions per week. I've had this conversation with several people who think that they can get in shape on 1-2 workouts per week. You need 4-5 sessions per week, then the 10th session gets you feeling pretty good.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 sessions seems about right for me if they're done as part of an actual restart and not just randomly scattered. My rule of thumb is that it won't start feeling good until after the first rest week. So time off, four weeks back training with purpose, rest week, feeling good again :)

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 10 workouts [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, I'm not really talking about getting "in shape". I'm talking about getting back to the point where you know what your fitness actually is. There's usually an initial very steep improvement in the first few workouts after an extended layoff, and then it kind of settles. That initial improvement isn't fitness, it's something else, most likely neuromuscular.

I hope it holds true for 2x per week, since that's all I have time to swim. In the first 4 practices, I've already seen my 50 times come down from 39-40s to 35-36s at the same effort level. That's not because I'm fitter, just better coordinated and executing better than I was last week.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More or less....sometimes more, sometimes less. Being younger helps, a shorter layoff helps, sports that are more technique / muscle-memory driven helps, and having a more well-worn neuromuscular pathway helps.

Cycling I can take WEEKS off, and when I get back on its just like riding a bike. Maybe 2-3 rides and I'm good to go---a few days to a week.

Running it takes a little longer for the muscles to get back into the groove. I think that's due to the load bearing component. Once I get through the initial DOMS phase, I'm ok. This is more of the two week variety.

Swimming takes me a lot longer to get back into the groove of, than either cycling or running. And, that time period extends very quickly for even short layoffs. My technique goes to shit, and it takes a long time to "relearn" what I "knew". This is probably more on the scale of a month - 6 weeks for even a 2-3 week layoff. But, I'm an AOS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
why is that all crossed out?

Because, instead of using (s) for "way(s)" dumbass me used [bracket] s [bracket] = strikethrough

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 10 workouts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. so far I'm right, but I'm also full of shit.

I'd like some more anecdotes* to confirm just how full of shit actually am, but then, this is ST where everyone is always in phenomenal shape, never take an offseason, and have an FTP of 650watts [/pinkish]

* and we know that the plural of anecdote is data.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 18, 19 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'd like some more anecdotes* to confirm just how full of shit actually am, but then, this is ST where everyone is always in phenomenal shape, never take an offseason, and have an FTP of 650watts [/pinkish]

Well, I don't have an FTP of 650 watts....but, otherwise "spot on."
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 18, 19 7:47
Quote Reply