Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Charlottesville - Tourism, not Race rally
Quote | Reply
Wife and I are going to Charlottesville in April for a Wed-Sun to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. Sounds random, but we are also trying to do a half marathon in every state before we are 50 (14 years to go), and the timing of the Charlottesville Half Mary aligns for this. I am looking for a few recommendations for dining, etc. We are staying at 200 South Street Inn downtown. Here is our high level itinerary

Wednesday: Land in Richmond at 1:30pm and stop in at Montpelier for a tour (I have already done Monticello). Dinner rec? Anything between there and C'ville that is colonial themed?

Thursday: Planning to rent bikes and ride Shenandoah National Park. Bike rental recommendation? We are thinking about riding Rockfish Gap to Swift Run Gap and back
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10772028 thoughts on the ride? Recs for dinner downtown or breweries to hit?

Friday: Looking at Monticello Wine Tour that includes stops at the following wineries: King Family Vineyards, Valley Road Vineyards, and Veritas Vineyard & Winery

Saturday is the race in town, so again, looking for cool/fun places for lunch/dinner/drinks/breweries/tap rooms

I would also love to find a place to take an old timey black/white photo in colonial garb, ideally as awkwardly as possible

Thanks!
Last edited by: milkman1982: Jan 17, 19 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Charlottesville - Tourism, not Race rally [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So long ago I was there '70-72, couldn't begin to tell you what's best to visit now, but your visit sounds exciting. Hope race takes you thru UVA campus to include Rotunda & Lawn.
I was lucky enough to run on the early tartan track now known as Lannigan Field next to University Hall. Give us a report; sounds like a good destination race. Plenty of sites to find here's one: https://www.tripadvisor.com/...sville_Virginia.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help much with C'ville - grew up in Richmond but have been elsewhere for 20+ years. I can definitely recommend Hardywood as far as breweries go, though. They do nice work. Also, a quick search turned this up: http://brewridgetrail.com/ Looks promising, and as a bonus, it includes both Starr Hill and Devil's Backbone breweries - both are excellent.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice. If I didn't live at the beach, I would live in Charlottesville. Spent the 4 best years of my life there.

There is nothing between Richmond and Charlottesville off of I-64, honestly, so don't bother.

You need to make sure to walk around the UVA Campus (or grounds) - it is a national treasure Just take in the Rotunda and Lawn at least. It is also fun to go down Rugby Rd. to see all the old fraternity houses and then proceed to the "Corner" for Bodo's Bagels.

The downtown mall is also a must visit - lots of good restaurants, including my favorite C&O for a special night out. Close to downtown is Continental Divide for great Mexican and a killer tequila menu.

Definitely go to King Family Vineyard - my favorite winery near C'Ville.

After your bike ride on the Parkway, go to Devil's Backbone Brewery at the base of Wintergreen mountain - great spot. Nearby is Bold Rock Cider which is cool as well if you are into cider.

Enjoy!

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Charlottesville - Tourism, not Race rally [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Good choice. If I didn't live at the beach, I would live in Charlottesville. Spent the 4 best years of my life there.

There is nothing between Richmond and Charlottesville off of I-64, honestly, so don't bother.

You need to make sure to walk around the UVA Campus (or grounds) - it is a national treasure Just take in the Rotunda and Lawn at least. It is also fun to go down Rugby Rd. to see all the old fraternity houses and then proceed to the "Corner" for Bodo's Bagels.

The downtown mall is also a must visit - lots of good restaurants, including my favorite C&O for a special night out. Close to downtown is Continental Divide for great Mexican and a killer tequila menu.

Definitely go to King Family Vineyard - my favorite winery near C'Ville.

After your bike ride on the Parkway, go to Devil's Backbone Brewery at the base of Wintergreen mountain - great spot. Nearby is Bold Rock Cider which is cool as well if you are into cider.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Charlottesville and offer the following suggestions. First up I think that you will enjoy the tour to Montpelier. On the way from Orange into Charlottesville, you will pass Keswick Hall and be close to the Clifton Inn. Both offer great fine dining experiences. Good options downtown are Hamiltons, Downtown Grill and the C&O. The Skyline Bar is a good drinking/eating option.
For Thursday, I would rent from Blue Ridge Cyclery. As for your route. Out and back on the Skyline Drive is great, but I prefer heading south from Afton on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would park at Afton, head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn left on 664, descend the hill and have lunch at Devil's Backbone. You can return directly but have a beast of a climb. Or you can minimize your time on route 151 as you head towards Batesville from Devil's Backbone turning onto Craig's Store road. In Batesville, left onto Plank, which will put you onto 250. Short while on 250, before joining the old turnpike road up to Afton (part of the 76 transam route).
I am not a wine drinker, but have experience with weddings at both King's Family Vineyard and Veritas and both are magical. Pippen Hill is another desirable location.
As for the route of the half marathon, I have not run it, but recall it taking in interesting parts of town.
Very few breakfast places on the downtown mall, but my favorite is Grit Cafe. Mudhouse is the best coffee place on the downtown mall.
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Charlottesville - Tourism, not Race rally [brianbart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianbart wrote:
I live in Charlottesville and offer the following suggestions. First up I think that you will enjoy the tour to Montpelier. On the way from Orange into Charlottesville, you will pass Keswick Hall and be close to the Clifton Inn. Both offer great fine dining experiences. Good options downtown are Hamiltons, Downtown Grill and the C&O. The Skyline Bar is a good drinking/eating option.
For Thursday, I would rent from Blue Ridge Cyclery. As for your route. Out and back on the Skyline Drive is great, but I prefer heading south from Afton on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would park at Afton, head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn left on 664, descend the hill and have lunch at Devil's Backbone. You can return directly but have a beast of a climb. Or you can minimize your time on route 151 as you head towards Batesville from Devil's Backbone turning onto Craig's Store road. In Batesville, left onto Plank, which will put you onto 250. Short while on 250, before joining the old turnpike road up to Afton (part of the 76 transam route).
I am not a wine drinker, but have experience with weddings at both King's Family Vineyard and Veritas and both are magical. Pippen Hill is another desirable location.
As for the route of the half marathon, I have not run it, but recall it taking in interesting parts of town.
Very few breakfast places on the downtown mall, but my favorite is Grit Cafe. Mudhouse is the best coffee place on the downtown mall.
Brian

wow this is great, thank you!
Quote Reply