Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I was just curious because of your shocking lack of knowledge of, experience with, and exposure to so many things.

Well it is not surprising that you are lawyer because you just keep thinking you are right when you objectively aren't.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

I was just curious because of your shocking lack of knowledge of, experience with, and exposure to so many things.

Well it is not surprising that you are lawyer because you just keep thinking you are right when you objectively aren't.

Ok.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I support the wall and I don't like illegal aliens, all of whom are, by definition, lawbreakers right out of the gate. No secret there. I also support the notion that we need immigration, now more than ever. But we need people who want to come here because they want to be Americans in every way that counts and that the vast majority of them have the skills sets and other attributes that can contribute to the country, not become a net drain on it.

Okay, you have simply repeated the exact same talking points, how about a discussion? I specifically asked you about worker permits, H1B, student visas (there are others).... none of these require "want to be American", do you oppose them, or wish to reduce them, or expand them? I assure you, most of Trump's base make no distinctions, and cheer the limitations that he has put in place. How about DACA? We have already paid the costs of educating them, and they are contributing (or about to) to the American economy, and they generally "want to be American" more than many folks who have come legally to work or study. Once you move past a canned response, how do you create policy which addresses that reality?

If you want my "sense" (you probably don't) the Trumpian base is now a majority of the GOP and has become virulently anti-immigrant (legal or otherwise), and is simply incapable of ever supporting any solution for these issues that involve compromise. Furthermore, hardly any of them are impacted in any direct way by immigration at all. The end result is a singular fixation on "the wall", which is only a fraction of the real issues surrounding immigration. While some moderates on both sides could come to a compromise solution, this base won't allow it (several comprehensive bills have been passed over the years).Decades of rhetoric have moved the sides further apart, and final result will be many years of gridlock, followed by a partisan victory in which one sides loses utterly. For examples of that dynamic, see DOMA (and the repeal of DADT, or ObamaCare, or the Trump Tax Plan). In this case, I would predict that it will be similar to the gay rights battle, and that the GOP will eventually lose. We would a better country if we could find a path to compromise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
It's five fucking billion dollars.

Do you think a wall can be built along the Mexican border for $5 billion?

Who the fuck said an entire wall along the border was going to be built? Do any of you lefties ever read what that stupid ass in the White House has been saying, and what DHS has been proposing? First, it's renovation and strengthening of existing walls and other barriers, then it's building of new walls and barriers along CERTAIN PORTIONS of the border with Mexico -- those areas and zones deemed most at risk for border jumping. In total, maybe 550 miles of renovated and new wall, fencing and other barriers, both physical and electronic.

Like I said: it's five fucking billion dollars. Our government shits out $6.5 million in spending in a MINUTE. If there are 1440 minutes in a day, that's $9,360,000,000. NINE BILLION THREE HUNDRED SIXTY BILLION DOLLARS.

But yeah: I applaud Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) and other members of the left for being so fiscally responsible when it comes to that 11 or so hours of government spending they're going to the fucking mattresses to save. Bravo to them.

I find it truly amazing how one can rationalize the costs of whatever the fuck they want, yet demonize the costs of whatever the other party wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
we must be sucking the guy off like we're interns servicing Bill Clinton in the Oval Office.

Sounds like something you have spent time thinking about. Hmmm. A fantasy perhaps?
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

Okay, you have simply repeated the exact same talking points, how about a discussion? .

With BK? Good one! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

I support the wall and I don't like illegal aliens, all of whom are, by definition, lawbreakers right out of the gate. No secret there. I also support the notion that we need immigration, now more than ever. But we need people who want to come here because they want to be Americans in every way that counts and that the vast majority of them have the skills sets and other attributes that can contribute to the country, not become a net drain on it.

Okay, you have simply repeated the exact same talking points, how about a discussion? I specifically asked you about worker permits, H1B, student visas (there are others).... none of these require "want to be American", do you oppose them, or wish to reduce them, or expand them? I assure you, most of Trump's base make no distinctions, and cheer the limitations that he has put in place. How about DACA? We have already paid the costs of educating them, and they are contributing (or about to) to the American economy, and they generally "want to be American" more than many folks who have come legally to work or study. Once you move past a canned response, how do you create policy which addresses that reality?

If you want my "sense" (you probably don't) the Trumpian base is now a majority of the GOP and has become virulently anti-immigrant (legal or otherwise), and is simply incapable of ever supporting any solution for these issues that involve compromise. Furthermore, hardly any of them are impacted in any direct way by immigration at all. The end result is a singular fixation on "the wall", which is only a fraction of the real issues surrounding immigration. While some moderates on both sides could come to a compromise solution, this base won't allow it (several comprehensive bills have been passed over the years).Decades of rhetoric have moved the sides further apart, and final result will be many years of gridlock, followed by a partisan victory in which one sides loses utterly. For examples of that dynamic, see DOMA (and the repeal of DADT, or ObamaCare, or the Trump Tax Plan). In this case, I would predict that it will be similar to the gay rights battle, and that the GOP will eventually lose. We would a better country if we could find a path to compromise.

I support E-Verify and seriously punitive fines for employer violations of them. Combined with a guest worker program suitable for the demands of our society. Someone needs to do those jobs (typically very laborious) and I didn't raise my children with the aspiration of doing them nor will my grandchildren. Yet, someone needs to do them. Historically, it has been the newest immigrants.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohh, so if I can point out a system in another country, you will agree that it works? Can we have New Zealand's health care system?

Only if we can have Canada's immigration policy. Deal?

Trump would never agree to that though, since there's no wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think a wall can be built along the Mexican border for $5 billion?

Who the fuck said an entire wall along the border was going to be built? Do any of you lefties ever read what that stupid ass in the White House has been saying, and what DHS has been proposing?

I did read what that stupid ass in the White House (ie. your idol) did say. During the campaign, Trump himself used a figure of $10 billion that was given to him by the National Precast Concrete Association that his Wall would cost.

Then there's an estimate from DHS that a Wall, based on Trump's own description would cost as much as $21.6 billion and take more than 3 years to build. That report was internal and the administration had it.

In all of history, has the final price ever been close to the estimated price, particularly when it is being heavily promoted for political reasons. So the question remains, where is the rest of the money coming from?

Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
I dont think the quote/article is making the argument you think it is.

I dont think anyone is saying a barrier shouldnt be in place. People are saying that a barrier should be in place + adding more security measures + tech at the places these barriers should be in place. Most democrats believe that this is what we should do (which coincides with the actual quotes, bills that have been presented by democrats, etc.)

This is not what trump is arguing for. Trump is asking for funding for a wall across the border. This is not supported by the arguments of the officials in the article.

Also from your article:

When asked whether the shutdown could delay construction of the new barriers, a CBP official dodged the question.
-
No, it says exactly what I think it says, just not say what you think I want it to say. Read the piece below, and you'll get the same story, it has an example of where some amount of NEW wall would make an appreciable difference (according to this chief CBP guy). If democrats really believe what you say, it could get done. Even the 5.7B could be "negotiated" down, and some new useful sections get built, but dems have gone the other way and said not one new foot, not one penny, so two intransigent sides here.
Trump might have got it done in his first two years, and Obama, with larger majorities, may have too, but it shows it is not a serious priority for either party owing to what they feel they get out of the current chaos/disfunction. Problem for DC is that most Americans do see a problem, and that's one of the things that gave us Trump to begin with.

-
https://www.npr.org/...anded-border-barrier
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

I dont think anyone is saying a barrier shouldnt be in place. People are saying that a barrier should be in place + adding more security measures + tech at the places these barriers should be in place. Most democrats believe that this is what we should do (which coincides with the actual quotes, bills that have been presented by democrats, etc.)

This is not what trump is arguing for. Trump is asking for funding for a wall across the border. This is not supported by the arguments of the officials in the article.

Also from your article:

When asked whether the shutdown could delay construction of the new barriers, a CBP official dodged the question.

-
No, it says exactly what I think it says, just not say what you think I want it to say. Read the piece below, and you'll get the same story, it has an example of where some amount of NEW wall would make an appreciable difference (according to this chief CBP guy). If democrats really believe what you say, it could get done. Even the 5.7B could be "negotiated" down, and some new useful sections get built, but dems have gone the other way and said not one new foot, not one penny, so two intransigent sides here.
Trump might have got it done in his first two years, and Obama, with larger majorities, may have too, but it shows it is not a serious priority for either party owing to what they feel they get out of the current chaos/disfunction. Problem for DC is that most Americans do see a problem, and that's one of the things that gave us Trump to begin with.

-

Hate to get too technical on ya but that's not how this happened ;). I don't want to overturn it, mind you, but at virtually no point in the short history of this farcical version of reality we live in did Trump ever command the support of "most Americans". Including in the election. Same could be said about the support for a wall as the singular and highest priority solution to the border security problem (which most Americans DO recognize as an issue - the border security problem, that is).

Carry on ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

As far as an immigration regime in line "with reality," cool beans. I'm advocating for a program similar to New Zealand's and Mexico's. What's the beef with that?

Ohh, so if I can point out a system in another country, you will agree that it works? Can we have New Zealand's health care system?

Only if we can have Canada's immigration policy. Deal?

That may be a fair compromise.

Yeah, I think I can get on board with that.

Shit, we just solved two of the biggest issues facing the US. That took about 3 minutes.

Next!

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Seriously how does this shutdown end? [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
dave_w wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Also from your article:

-

-

Hate to get too technical on ya but that's not how this happened ;). I don't want to overturn it, mind you, but at virtually no point in the short history of this farcical version of reality we live in did Trump ever command the support of "most Americans". Including in the election. Same could be said about the support for a wall as the singular and highest priority solution to the border security problem (which most Americans DO recognize as an issue - the border security problem, that is).

Carry on ;)
-
At no point did I say "Trump" had a majority of anything, you just reiterated my point; most Americans see a serious problem with border security. The pub nominee will generally get more votes from those who see national security as a high/top priority, and Trump made a whole platform of kowtowing to that group, and is mostly why he picked up enough blue collar dems to make the difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next