Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time
Quote | Reply
Morning, I must have had 10 bikes in the last 4 or 5 years and have struggled to get the fit right on any of them. Im 6ft 2.5 (189.5 cm ) with long legs and relatively short torso. The Retul had my saddle height at 884mm. I always struggle to get a short enough reach on what is normally a Large or XLarge frame.

Ive had two Retul fits with different people and both came up with very similar numbers of Stack 699 / 707 and Reach 444 / 424 first with Prologo Nago 40 saddle and the second with a stub nose Fizik Mystica.

At the moment I have a Orbea XL frame with semi integrated FSA bars, this gives me the stack but even with the pads all the way back I struggle to get the reach short enough.

I had planned to swap to a Scott Plasma 5 XL which I picked up second hand, but now I have it I'm looking at it wondering if its too big and I should have gone with a Plasma in a Large frame.

Any advice would greatly appreciated. Would consider changing to anything for a comfy ish aero fit.

Many thanks Dan

Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [Topper007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which saddle is this Retul printout with? Who was the fitter? Any video or still screengrabs from this fit? That pad reach is far-out-of-orthodox short.
Last edited by: TriFluid: Jan 16, 19 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The image above is from the most recent Retul on the Ordu, using the short nose saddle Fizik Mistica.

Before and after below. Sadly no video just the images below.

Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [Topper007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to be the one to tell you this and we'll wait for the experts to chime in, but you need to ask for a refund. Your pads/elbows need to come forward at least 5cm and probably more. Your torso is super scrunched up and explains your lack of pad reach and your struggle in finding the right size frame.
Last edited by: TriFluid: Jan 16, 19 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could well be right. The first image was when the bike had just been built, not setup for me. The second image certainly felt like an improvement but you think I still look a little squashed in the upper body. You think its the setup rather than the bike ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the initial fit looks better actually.

In the second, your fitter got you to rotate your pelvis forward, which is good, perhaps as a result of the very good Fizik Mistica saddle, but didn't take the next logical step to move your arm pads forward and down, which would have made you look like the top picture but just rotated 10 degrees to the right / clockwise.

Also, you're putting your forearms on your pads instead of your elbows... this both reduces reach and makes your fit less comfortable. You're also holding your extensions instead of having them push back against you to lock you into your position.

Edit: In the second pic, your saddle is probably too high.

How much more reach adjustment does that Orbea have? Can you switch to ski bend extensions?

Topper007 wrote:
You could well be right. The first image was when the bike had just been built, not setup for me. The second image certainly felt like an improvement but you think I still look a little squashed in the upper body. You think its the setup rather than the bike ?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 16, 19 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should say about the seat being too high. The fitter took it up 12mm and back 8mm. Fitter didn't make any changes to front end.

The pads are back almost as far as they will go in the photo, think they could have gone back another 5mm but have the option to go forward a lot further. Because of the 424 reach number I've always looked at trying to bring my elbows in closer to my body, when already the general consensus is I should be stretching out a bit more.

I don't have Ski bends but would be happy to get some if it made a big difference.

Last edited by: Topper007: Jan 16, 19 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't use the words "stretch out"... that's not what's happening. It's just your arms that move to make up the difference, not a stretch in your back or something.

If I were you I'd put the pads all the way forward and see how that feels.

Lower the saddle a cm at first and then another cm. Post some pics.

Topper007 wrote:
Funny you should say about the seat being too high. The fitter took it up 12mm and back 8mm. Fitter didn't make any changes to front end.

The pads are back almost as far as they will go in the photo, think they could have gone back another 5mm but have the option to go forward a lot further. Because of the 424 reach number I've always looked at trying to bring my elbows in closer to my body, when already the general consensus is I should be stretching out a bit more.

I don't have Ski bends but would be happy to get some if it made a big difference.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made a few changes this eve after reading the advice and came up with this.

Dropped the saddle by about 10mm , Dropped the pads, moved them forward and tilted the extensions up.

Number now seem to be about ( Allowing for my untrained eye )

Stack 680 ( top center of pad ) Reach 500 to center of pad Saddle tip set back 75mm behind BB

Only ridden it for the length of this video but feels ok.

Have a video but not sure how to upload

Last edited by: Topper007: Jan 17, 19 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower your saddle 2cm more

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 2cm lower, perhaps too low ?

Last edited by: Topper007: Jan 17, 19 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changed photos to show top of pedal stroke as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep lowering your saddle. And by lowering I mean down

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

You're also holding your extensions instead of having them push back against you to lock you into your position.

Can you explain further what you mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Too many 2nd hand bikes ! Help me get it right this time [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

You're also holding your extensions instead of having them push back against you to lock you into your position.

Can you explain further what you mean?

The bike works for you, you don’t work for the bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower doesn't work ( unless I'm misinterpreting the meaning of lower ) lowering the saddle any further made me aware of getting over the top of the pedal stroke and felt to bunched up in the hip. Moved the pads forward 10mm but also slid the extensions through about 20mm.

Saddle is now at about 865mm with a Stack of 680 and reach of about 510, saddle 75mm behind bb.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle still too high imo. Crank length?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look 1000x better than in the 1st photos you posted. And you look quite good!

The tall saddle height is probably habit more than anything. It's gonna feel weird to change that a lot, and will take adaptation. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice over the last few days, 2 hours of 5-7 min intervals at 310 watts felt great. It certainly worked my lower quads a little more but felt relatively easy.

I'm running 172.5 cranks at the moment not sure I can lower the saddle much while still using them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topper007 wrote:
I'm running 172.5 cranks at the moment not sure I can lower the saddle much while still using them.

You don't need shorter cranks. If you lower the saddle you may need to focus on keeping your foot more level instead of so sharply toes-down.
Quote Reply