Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interviews/Applications and Religiosity
Quote | Reply
I get that religion/God resonates strongly with some people in their life. As an atheist who knows we all have biases I feel like I try to compensate in the person's favor if religion is brought up as I figure I'm biased against it, but I still find it an odd thing to bring up out of context. So do you find it odd, off-putting? How in general do you view it when someone puts their religion or feelings about God's role in their life front and center in an interview or application?
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I get that religion/God resonates strongly with some people in their life. As an atheist who knows we all have biases I feel like I try to compensate in the person's favor if religion is brought up as I figure I'm biased against it, but I still find it an odd thing to bring up out of context. So do you find it odd, off-putting? How in general do you view it when someone puts their religion or feelings about God's role in their life front and center in an interview or application?

I haven't had it on an interview or application but I did have a customer come in one time and wouldn't stop about it. He went on and on about how god was helping him and what has happened in his life etc. After he left, I talked to my contact and said, we do not want this guy back here, our time was wasted and nothing was accomplished. I can't figure how this guy got into his position with this company if this is how he acts on calls to his suppliers.

I don't care if he's religious but I have shit to do during the day, like reading the LR, and don't have time for a sermon.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless they are applying for a religious type job where that would be relevant I would likely consider them a whack job until proven differently. Assuming that the resume reader gives two craps about their religiosity demonstrates a peculiar lack of judgment.
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Unless they are applying for a religious type job where that would be relevant I would likely consider them a whack job until proven differently. Assuming that the resume reader gives two craps about their religiosity demonstrates a peculiar lack of judgment.

Yeah a first pass it strikes me as a bit whacky too but it would. I also think how it's brought up contributes to that impression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
chriskal wrote:

Yeah a first pass it strikes me as a bit whacky too but it would. I also think how it's brought up contributes to that impression.

It's how and in what context it was brought up. If for example the interviewer asked what the interviewee does with their spare time and the interviewee talks about volunteering at their church and how important their faith is, well it's organic to the conversation and as long as it doesn't venture into whack-a-doodle territory it's all good.

If the interviewee wedges it into a lot of the conversation and seems a bit preachy and obsessive about it then they wouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt from me.

There is no place for it on an application or resume unless it's relevant to the job.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
How in general do you view it when someone puts their religion or feelings about God's role in their life front and center in an interview or application?

I would consider them no different than if they told me that being a Jedi disciple or a D&D lvl. 40 Wizard in their application. In other words, unemployable in most circumstances.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
How in general do you view it when someone puts their religion or feelings about God's role in their life front and center in an interview or application?

I would consider them no different than if they told me that being a Jedi disciple or a D&D lvl. 40 Wizard in their application. In other words, unemployable in most circumstances.

Yeah, you need to be at least a lvl. 43 Wizard to be able to hold down a job.

Clerics and Bards are far more employable (good at healing and such).

Never hire a Barbarian if you can hire a Fighter instead. Fighters are far more disciplined.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Never hire a Barbarian if you can hire a Fighter instead. Fighters are far more disciplined.

Zorn does pretty wall in the office. Wouldn't he be classified as a Lawful Barbarian? Or is he more of a Chaotic-Good Warrior?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a resume at my last company (from a candidate in Singapore, for a position there) who listed his sex, marital status and religion among other items in a section of bullet points at the top of his resume. After being used to US-style "you can't ask that!" sanitized resumes, it was surprising to see that spelled out. He didn't mention any of it in his interviews though.

I actually ended up hiring him because he fit the job requirements very well, and his religion never came up again except for a couple of requests for time off for things like his kids' holy communion, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hired a few people in Singapore and Malaysia about 15 years ago. That info was quite typical, and often a photograph was included with the application. Most were professional headshots, though for administrative positions (i.e. secretary) the younger, fitter ladies would include a fully body shot (they were generally properly dressed). It was a bit weird coming from my North American corporate culture.

WelshinPhilly wrote:
I got a resume at my last company (from a candidate in Singapore, for a position there) who listed his sex, marital status and religion among other items in a section of bullet points at the top of his resume. After being used to US-style "you can't ask that!" sanitized resumes, it was surprising to see that spelled out. He didn't mention any of it in his interviews though.

I actually ended up hiring him because he fit the job requirements very well, and his religion never came up again except for a couple of requests for time off for things like his kids' holy communion, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

There is no place for it on an application or resume unless it's relevant to the job.

Like a D1 college football coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take the view that if they're putting religion front and centre enough during the recruitment process that it bugs me, then it's almost certainly going to bug other members of the team more (I'm at the more tolerant end of the spectrum in our company). It's also a betting certainty that if it's already front and centre during the recruitment process then it will become even more prominent once they start working for us. I'm tolerant of a fairly wide range of religious and political views, but do expect people I work with to have good enough judgement to know when and how it's appropriate to discuss them (which may be never). We're also in a client facing business, so if I believe somebody has strong personal views that they're going to share with all and sundry then I can't risk hiring them and having them fall out with a client. Have had that situation in the past with 2 individuals I hired, not in a hurry to repeat it.

One interview that always sticks in my mind was a guy where we'd nearly finished and were most likely to make him an offer on the spot as up to that point he was everything we were looking for. And then somehow the topic of evolution came up (don't ask me how, it's not one of our standard interview questions), and he bluntly stated he didn't believe in evolution and then gave this whole monologue about how there was a conspiracy to brainwash children into believing in evolution when there was no evidence for it. Never seen somebody talk themselves out of a job so fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a resume at my last company (from a candidate in Singapore, for a position there) who listed his sex, marital status and religion among other items in a section of bullet points at the top of his resume. After being used to US-style "you can't ask that!" sanitized resumes, it was surprising to see that spelled out.

It is different in the Philippines too. For jobs, employers can ask very specific things like "female, between ages of 20-25 and height between 5' and 5'5" and that can be any job where physical attributes have no bearing on the job.

In places like here where there are thousands of people lining up for a given job, the Companies can essentially ask whatever they like.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

The strangest one I've ever seen, by far, was a woman who in response to a question that was something like "what is the biggest obstacle you have overcome..." wrote about her virginity. I'm not shitting you. A page worth of talking about the challenges of being a 30 something year old virgin.
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s still standard in Germany. Age, nationality, marital status and a professional headshot. Many companies also expect you to submit your high school and university grades, even for positions that require professional experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would assume they were an alcoholic/drug addict in recovery, someone who went through gay conversion therapy or a kid toucher.

I base this on personal experience with people who have inappropriately brought up their godliness.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they're just telling you up front who their real boss is. So there's no misunderstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: Interviews/Applications and Religiosity [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Yeah, you need to be at least a lvl. 43 Wizard to be able to hold down a job.

Clerics and Bards are far more employable (good at healing and such).

You guys don’t have D&D crews in the cafeteria at lunch??? Do you have any good engineers? These guys are the bomb!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the US it's illegal to ask about religion so someone would have to go out of their way to bring it up.
If you ask about hobbies like someone else mentioned, it would not be out of line.
A smart interviewee would not go deep into politics or religion in an interview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe in Jesus but it's never come up in a job interview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They would automatically flunk the "fits with the group's culture" check box.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going sightly off-topic since it involves someone already hired. I'm pretty tolerant of religion, but there's this one guy in my office whose email signature is a lengthy quotation from Deuteronomy. If reading his email on my phone it takes up like half the screen. It's pretty annoying, and also I'm pretty sure directly against company policy. But I'm not going to say anything because I like to avoid generating workplace drama unless it relates directly to the quality of work products.
Quote Reply