Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train?
Quote | Reply
I started using White Lightning Clean Streak chain degreaser on my drive train. It worked really well, and just melted all the crud off my chain and gears. The problem is that it costs $14/bottle. So, I started using automotive brake cleaner to do the same thing. You can buy brake cleaner anywhere - and it costs less than $3/bottle and works just as well. Sometimes you can even buy it on sale for $1.85/bottle. I really like it so far! Why shouldn't I use it? It doesn't seem to affect the chain or gears in any way - except that I can easily clean them and keep them looking great!
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of these cleaners can sneak into sealed bearings, so be careful not to get it on hubs, bottom brackets and fancy jockey wheels.

Unless you are riding a lot in rain, snow and/or crud, I would suggest switching to waxing your chain. Then use something like the Squirt or Premier lube. Then you don't have to clean your drivetrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By automotive brake cleaner, you probably mean Tetrachloroethylene. Google that and be your own judge of how much you want to use that stuff. The stuff in Clean Streak is a little more tame, but should still be used in a ventilated area.

No matter what you use for degreasing, make sure you are lubing afterwards. I think the directions on Clean Streak tell you to lube after using. (Maybe you're already doing this and i'm inferring too much from your post)
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Then use something like the Squirt or Premier lube. Then you don't have to clean your drivetrain.

Well you do once in a while, I find. But then the solution is just an ultrasonic cleaner with heat mode, that simply melts off all the old, dirty wax and leaves the chain like-new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember this correctly - I used brake cleaner in a MEC chain cleaner/brush device and the whole thing broke apart - in seconds!

Depending on the cleaner formula it can be reactive to some types of plastics and possibly rubber.

Beater bike I wouldn't have a problem. Not on the tri bike tho.
I just used some this week to clean chain, but that was off the bike in an margarine container, for the reason above.
I also got myself schooled on chains, splitting links, made a tool for the SRAM power link. All up and running :)

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because if you get enough on your carbon frame, it will start stripping the paint and sthe epoxy.

On a side note, all for who use simple green to clean their bike it is caustic on aluminum and bare aluminum should not be exposed to it extended periods of time (10min+). Thoroughly rinse your frame/drive train after using simple green. The army learned that the hard way on their aluminum receivers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tobrien wrote:
I started using White Lightning Clean Streak chain degreaser on my drive train. It worked really well, and just melted all the crud off my chain and gears. The problem is that it costs $14/bottle. So, I started using automotive brake cleaner to do the same thing. You can buy brake cleaner anywhere - and it costs less than $3/bottle and works just as well. Sometimes you can even buy it on sale for $1.85/bottle. I really like it so far! Why shouldn't I use it? It doesn't seem to affect the chain or gears in any way - except that I can easily clean them and keep them looking great!

As far as I can tell, Clean Streak is the same as auto brake cleaner (I've used both, but only buy the latter now due to price). It takes EVERYTHING off, but as mentioned, it's pretty toxic. I use it very sparingly for anything bike- related and always wear disposable shop gloves. It works well for any of the SRAM cassettes that are a single piece (i.e. Red cassettes, or any of the new machined-out MTB cassettes)... they're REALLY hard to get clean because of so many tiny small spaces to get into.

But I'd never use it on anything that has a bearing nearby (i.e. BB, wheel bearing, headset bearing, etc). It comes out under high pressure and could dry out / ruin a bearing pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Then use something like the Squirt or Premier lube. Then you don't have to clean your drivetrain.

Well you do once in a while, I find. But then the solution is just an ultrasonic cleaner with heat mode, that simply melts off all the old, dirty wax and leaves the chain like-new.

Just had LBS wax my chain-it's great. Seems easy enough. But do you have a link/suggestion for an ultrasonic cleaner you recommend? TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use cheap one with heat I got n EBay. A little heat and vibration does the trick to remove/strip a waxed chain. I sometimes have to use a toothbrush on cassettes still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on where its being sprayed, it can get in bearing seals and chew up the lubrication making your bearings wear out faster. Also make sure to lubricate asap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought more White Lightening but have been using something called "Mud Off" & while both work great, I make sure I rinse the bike afterwards, as directions on Mud Off call for it to NOT be left on the bike or any parts. Then I use the Rock & Roll Gold & I'm back in business.

As for waxing, never did that. Can't speak about automotive cleaner, I just stick with the bike branded cleaners & soap/water. I have found that for some hard to get off grease spots on my white P3 paint, that WD-40 takes it right off. It's already scratched to hell so not too worried about it doing much of anything to the frame, it hasn't damaged the clearcoat at all in years of doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ret123 wrote:
Just had LBS wax my chain-it's great. Seems easy enough. But do you have a link/suggestion for an ultrasonic cleaner you recommend? TIA

I got this one, which seems to work fine. Fits cassette and chain together.
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brake cleaners will make your chain brittle, so will simple green.
Google search chains and hydrogen enbritlement.
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn't I use automotive brake cleaner on my drive train? [zinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zinny wrote:
Because if you get enough on your carbon frame, it will start stripping the paint and the epoxy.

On a side note, all for who use simple green to clean their bike it is caustic on aluminum and bare aluminum should not be exposed to it extended periods of time (10min+).

I went through a similar rationalization, finished my bottle of Finish Line Citrus degreaser, which had worked well on the bike and on fishing reels. Used Simple Green while repacking front wheel bearings on the truck, decided to try it on the fishing reels. It dissolved the toothbrush I use to scrub small parts, and left a sticky residue on the parts which had to be rinsed off.
Based on that I ain't using Simple Green on anything except car parts on the bench..
New bottle of Finish Line is $14 and the previous one lasted me two years, think I'll spend the money..

there are various formulae for auto brake cleaners, most of which are frightening. One of the new formulations that doesn't use chlorine or tetrachloroethylene would be best. But it will attack paint, rubber seals, etc. Personally I don't think it's worth it..
Quote Reply