Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring
Quote | Reply
Do the eTap clics really not fit through the port holes on the Alpha X aerobar? FFS
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should fit in the ports at the front of the bar. Did you try those?

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ports at the front of the bar (for the mechanical cables) fit, however, since your cavity doesn't fit the etap blip box the etap clic wires end up being too short to reach the blip box. not to mention the ugly cable routing. also, the risers end up not being used and are also an eye sore (as they are meant to hold the wire).
Last edited by: casper3043: Dec 31, 18 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not super clean as is, but once I put the plate back on to tuck the wires in, then add the BTA bracket and bar end plugs on, it cleans up very nicely IMO. I will post pics of the final set up in a few days after I get a few more parts in for the final build. You could most likely drill two wholes into the plate itself to make it cleaner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
since your cavity doesn't fit the etap blip box the etap clic wires end up being too short to reach the blip box. not to mention the ugly cable routing. also, the risers end up not being used and are also an eye sore (as they are meant to hold the wire).
The problem is eTap, not the Alpha X. You can buy Blips and Clicks with wires long enough to make the runs. However, there is no place to easily hide the Blip Box (on any bike or cockpit). So, the wires have to go external at the cockpit and attach to the Blip Box. Some people use much longer cables and hide the Blip Box in the frame (that has built-in storage).

SRAM needs to invent a much smaller Blip Box or invent TT brake levers with integrated Blip Box capability (like the road bike shifters) to solve the TT installation challenges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any chance, you can explain how you were able to attach the blip box at the end of the extensions? I’m going to fool around with a few truly wireless etap set ups where I am only utilizing the blip box to shift and am interested in what you did.

https://www.tririg.com/...TTT_SRAM_eTap_Review
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 1, 19 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a shifter plug from a set of bar-end shifters (in this case it was a SRAM shifter, which has a smaller thru-hole than some other brands). The BlipBox has an M4 threaded insert on the bottom. So it was just a matter of taking an M4 countersunk screw and attaching it. In the end, that wasn't a super robust mount, because it can still rotate a bit, but it works ok.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks, was it at least secure so you didn’t fear losing the blip box?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 1, 19 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like there is a new TT blip box on the way. There’s another three with details. Along with 12 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that. My hunch is it is still too big for most frames and cockpits, but that is just my guess. The original BB is 60mm x 40mm x 15mm. A Di2 Junction B is 30mm x 15mm x 8mm. They will need to shrink it to about half its current volume of have a chance. Given the 4 plugs are still in a row, it will probably be too wide.

But that is just my hunch.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karmatraining wrote:
It is not super clean as is, but once I put the plate back on to tuck the wires in, then add the BTA bracket and bar end plugs on, it cleans up very nicely IMO. I will post pics of the final set up in a few days after I get a few more parts in for the final build. You could most likely drill two wholes into the plate itself to make it cleaner.

you're right - not clean at all. not to mention, i don't plan to use blips - not a necessity for me and they're hideous.

so, because the "Di2" ports are too small to fit the clic wires on the TriRig aerobar, I will resort to dremeling them out a few MM so that I can run wires where they should be. doesn't make sense having all these existing holes/ports if they're not usable with eTap. also, for those looking for a clean look, AHP have managed to modify and fit the blip box in the same space the Di2 junction box would be. this has me thinking...

https://www.adaptivehp.com/blog/bike-fitting-with-saint-cloud-lab

i didn't shell out $2k on a "wireless" drivetrain and cockpit to have wires hanging around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
i didn't shell out $2k on a "wireless" drivetrain and cockpit to have wires hanging around
Your best option is probably the modifications that you mentioned. SRAM designed the Blip Box to be externally mounted and the cable plugs to fit mechanical cable paths. So, you will have to grind the cockpit and probably disassemble the Blip Box to fit in a hidden compartment.

That is the of the driving reasons I chose Di2 for my TT bike and eTap for my road bike. It is way easier to hide Di2 on a TT bike than eTap.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know that this thread is specifically for Alpha X and eTap wiring, but has anyone missed with Alpha One and eTap wiring? Could you mount the blipbox on top of the stem cover (near the rear) and have the wires come out of the opening on the top of the stem and bend forwards? Dont know how wide the rear of the stem cover is in comparison to the blipbox.

Chi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Is there any chance, you can explain how you were able to attach the blip box at the end of the extensions? I’m going to fool around with a few truly wireless etap set ups where I am only utilizing the blip box to shift and am interested in what you did.

https://www.tririg.com/...TTT_SRAM_eTap_Review

I am doing the same. This is the best I’ve come up with, but have another mount on the way to try. This is the kedge TT Mount with the hinge on it. Thinking I will use the pvc method to mount my garmin 520 above the extensions and overlapping the blip box a little. Only downside is you have to grab the whole thing together and can’t grab each extension separately but I don’t think that’s going to be a big deal. (Ignore the sram mount dangling by the bottle cage, forgot to take it off)

Last edited by: Sean H: Jan 27, 19 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha X with eTap wiring [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks; I considered your option but didn’t think the blip box would be in a good shifting position and it would create awkward movements with fingers trying to shift. But it looks pretty good on yours!

I’m toying with two options....
(1) attach Garmin quarter mount near end of extension-you can rotate blip box at whatever angle you want.
(2) Nick’s method-I bought part of a sram shifter, you can thread a M4 screw through it and into the bottom of the blip box. You can also rotate the blip box-it is obviously farther away since it is at the end of the extensions.

I won’t be building up my bike on this one for a while but will report back when I do. From very brief testing with clip ons my road bike, option #1 seems more comfortable in position/shifting. But both seem to be viable options. I’m surprised more people-certainly those running a 1x—don’t do this. No wires!!! Not a single one. Only time will tell if it is a practical solution.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 27, 19 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
lI’m surprised more people-certainly those running a 1x—don’t do this. No wires!!! Not a single one. Only time will tell if it is a practical solution.

Yes, exactly. I’m especially excited about the ability to add a FD to my 1x setup by justbolting one on and nothing else!

And dang! I had sram bar end shifters but sold them!! Argh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m putting the box under the nose cone on the Omni below the bars. Nice big place to hide things there
Quote Reply