Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM GXP Crank compatibility between road and mountain
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a new bike that has a GXP crank. I have always used Shimano cranks, so I am completely unfamiliar with this standard.
Looking around for a power meter for the new bike. Do GXP mountain crank arms fit on road cranks? Could I pick up a Stages X9 left arm? Any help is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP Crank compatibility between road and mountain [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GXP and Shimano differ in spindle diameter (diameter is perpendicular to the aforementioned spindle length). GXP is 24 mm DS/ 22 mm NDS; Hollowtech is 24 mm DS and NDS. so the two standards are not compatible. See picture below and following website

Shimano

Sram

For the same BB standard, the spindle on MTB cranks is longer than what you find on the corresponding road bike cranks, which means that mtb cranks have a higher Q-factor than corresponding road crank. note that spindle length always measured perpendicular to the crank arm. If you don't mind the higher Q-factor, you can always run MTB cranks on a road bike, but not vice versa (the spindle cannot stick sufficiently far out of the NDS BB cup for one to attach the NDS crank arm)
Last edited by: echappist: Dec 31, 18 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP Crank compatibility between road and mountain [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use a stages x9 Left crankarm on cross bike (sram red gxp) and MTB (xx1, xx , x9 cranks)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP Crank compatibility between road and mountain [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your diagram for the SRAM crank axle isn't correct.

You are saying that the diameter of the axle is 24mm on both ends and the diameter of the splines is 22mm.

The diameter of the axle on the drive side is 24mm and the diameter of the axle on the non-drive side is 22mm.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP Crank compatibility between road and mountain [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM GXP Crank compatibility between road and mountain [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the right side MTB crank arm will fit on the road spindle, but I believe MTB cranks have more "splay" (wider BB, and even wider Q-factor), so the Q-factor will be wider and not centered under the seat tube.
Quote Reply