Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrimalSteve wrote:
Hi Jordan,

Rather than start a new thread and be chastised I think this fits here.

Is there any place/way to find just events that I have registered for? I find the whole event interface to be somewhat lacking in filtering options.

If you've signed up for zwiftpower.com, they have a filtering mechanism where you can see all of the events your signed up for. Works really well. It also shows data for all the other events you've done, and it's basically the unofficial, official race result display.
Quote Reply
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am indeed signed up on ZwiftPower, but somehow had missed the 'sign ups' tab! Thanks for the heads up!

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

so i've been racing on zwift since the early days where we used countdown timers to start. im pretty serious about it and most days make almost all the splits in the a group.

but i am busy and have never really learned much, i just jump in and give it. i've been sick for a couple weeks and am missing my racing fixes, and have realized there is a lot i don't understand.

what happened to the serious organized races? the kiss series seems to be alive, but ztr, cvr, all gone?
There are several "serious" race series or leagues, such as SZR or WTRL.
buzz wrote:
is there something better than zwiftpower to find races in?
Not really. https://zwifthacks.com/app/events/ also lists events, but it's not better than zwiftpower and zwiftpower is where results, ranking, etc. can be found.
buzz wrote:
is there anywhere where people discuss the races after?
Not really. There is the Zwift Racers facebook group. Some teams have their own facebook group or discord servers.
buzz wrote:
why/how do people get the DRAFT tag on their names? does it mean something?
It's the name of a team.
buzz wrote:
i see other little acronyms and stuff after names. are those teams?
They're often teams, but sometimes people put the same of the race they're participating in or are about to participate in. Team names are often between brackets.
buzz wrote:
i have KISS/ZTR A on my name cause i added them back when you had to to get results. do you still need that?
Some events still ask to do that, but it's not required and most people don't bother.
buzz wrote:
is there any audio chat planned? often when i am trying to make breakaways stick, i wish i could talk.
A few group rides have a Discord channel, but races usually don't (in fact I've never seen a race that does). Teams on the other hand usually have a Discord channel.
buzz wrote:
is everyone happy with double draft? i find its very hard to get away now, and if you get elbowed out of the pack, it is exceedingly difficult to get back on.

Many people aren't happy with DD. Most feel it makes it harder to break away. Sprinters love it.
buzz wrote:
further to that, is it just luck when you get pushed out of the draft? or is there like a technique?
It takes some practice to master drafting. You can't really control your position laterally though, so sometimes you will be pushed to the side and get out of the draft.
buzz wrote:
sometimes i see people have little messages bubble after their name. how the heck are they typing while racing?
What's hard for you may be easy for someone else. If you watch Leandro Messineo on youtube for exemple, you'll see that he's perfectly relaxed and sitting upright drinking water from his bottle while you're dying just trying to not get dropped.

buzz wrote:
i gotta say, i LOVE racing on zwift. its basically replaced intervals for me in the winter. cheaters, no cheaters, whatever, i've never been able to hit high HR indoors like this for so long till zwift races.
Quote Reply
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
I've seen tactical powerups for the pack, which bother me less (a guy using a super draft power-up to go to the front and chase tow the group across a split, I guess I'd be pissed if I was the one being towed back...)
That's just stupid; the super draft only works when you're drafting. It will do nothing if you're pulling at front of a group.
Quote Reply
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point, but I am never going to correct someone if it means they stop wheelsucking and actually take a turn on the front... I did mean to say the aero boost, not the super draft though... Most of the power-ups are pretty meaningless in races, save for the damn featherweight ones on the climbs (and maybe the aero boost in TTs)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Filters by event type already exists in Zwift Companion. First goal is to bring all of the existing filters on Zwift Companion to the web so they are in sync.

Some of the stuff doesn't exist "structurally" - like the HRM requirement - so I couldn't build that. But most of the other stuff is. And if there's a big demand for a "HR Required" flag, I can certainly add that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like all your questions got answered, so don't have much to add other than nice to see a friendly name and glad to see you are back racing. You were often one of the favorites in some of those early days races. One minor thing to add regarding voice/chats. Some teams definitely make use of a "team car" on a private discord channel. Someone not doing the race can be monitoring the riders, giving feedback about who is strong (looking at zwiftpower profiles), organizing attacks, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: zwift racing questions (many, possibly dumb) [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty elaborate set-up. I haven't noticed any obvious use of such tactics in any of the races that I have done. It makes sense that if you can organize via private comms, and especially if you have someone who is observing, and not actually in the race, it would be advantageous (and as someone who has DS'd on the road from a team car, that is a pretty accurate characterization)... I do find that the draft dynamics in Zwift tend to make it a bit harder to truly ride as a team in terms of sheltering a rider as you would on the road. It also makes it easy to freelance within a group, should you be isolated from your teammates, or not be racing with a team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discord is pretty easy to use. A Zwift "team car" is far simpler than real life. Just a channel on Discord. You are right that while it in theory can help, in practice the draft dynamics on Zwift often make it a moot point. Double draft in particular seems to have made it even less possible to have a break escape. The best coordinated team work I've seen was a few guys who worked to time an attack with a series of power ups by teammates to spring someone. Other than that, the team car is mostly just mental support and kinda fun but not really that effective at changing results.
Quote Reply

Prev Next