Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area
Quote | Reply
Heading to Henderson/Vegas for about a month for work and looking forward to getting off the training and into better weather. Hoping for some good riding and running spots, trails are good too, and also a good bike shop?

Thanks for the info and time
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area [stilltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done it personally, but there were a lot of people cycling on the Red Rock road. It looked like a nice ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been living in Henderson for a few months now.

My outdoor staple rides are ether west on Highway 160 toward Blue Diamond/Red Rock/Mountain Spring or east toward Lake Mead, Hoover Dam//Arizona.

Running has a couple trails out in those areas (Red Rock//Lake Mead), but a couple trails closer to the city's southside: Amargosa Trail (trailhead on Shaded Canyon), Sidewinder in Sloan Canyon. These folks get together to do trail runs frequently (https://www.facebook.com/.../trailrunning.vegas/).

As for swimming, I use the Henderson Multigenerational Pool out in Green Valley. T/Th AM LCM, otherwise SCY--good weekday hours, weekends are a tad scant for me. Lake Mead for OWS, a couple beaches, but the go-to is Boulder Beach.
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Dec 29, 18 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area [Towjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Towjoe wrote:
I haven't done it personally, but there were a lot of people cycling on the Red Rock road. It looked like a nice ride.

I rode it once on trip to vegas. Red rock canyon loop is an excellent, excellent ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went on a bike trip to Vegas last year. Did the Red Rock Loop several times, sometimes adding on Blue Diamond and Potosi Mtn for some more climbing. There is also good running at Red Rock, but watch for snakes. You can buy an annual pass for like $30.

Kyle Canyon and Lee Canyon both go up Mount Charleston and are 5000’+ climbs.

I did the River Mountains Trail by Lake Mead. The locals really talked it up, it was interesting and challenging for a bike trail, but I got annoyed with all the turns.

I also took a day and drove 90 minutes to St. George and did the Veyo Loop, which was a great ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think from Henderson there is a big bike trail loop that includes the Lake Mead trail. If you can handle paths, and lots of turns as mentioned.
Relatively short for a ride (better for gravel bike probably) is the old RR out to the dam through 6-7 tunnels. Might be better as an out/back run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good suggestions already ...

Easy access from Henderson:
- Union Pacific Trail
- River Mountains Loop
- North Shore (towards Callville)
- Mcullough Trail (running/mountain biking)

Other good rides:
- Red Rock (nice long ride starting in Henderson)
- Mt Charleston (But not anytime soon)
- Las Vegas Blvd from M hotel to Jean / Good Springs ... But not my favorite ride due to more traffic lately.

Swimming (Henderson):
- Multigenerational Center
- Heritage Park
- If you’re Lifetime, there is one in Green Valley.

You can ride to Hoover Dam and Pat Tillman bridge - but need to time it right to avoid traffic (weekdays are best).

If you’re looking to find people to run/bike with, join Las Vegas Tri Club Facebook page.

Best,

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shops ...

In Henderson (in no particular order):
- McGhies
- The Bike Shop
- REI
(Running: Red Rock Running)

Nearby:
- Las Vegas Cyclery
- Pro Cyclery

All are good shops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome place to train. I went there back in late Feb. River Mountain Loop / Lake Meade and Red Rock Canyon was awesome. When it got too cold and windy for a couple days I rented a car, drove through Mojave and rode in the Palm Springs area. South of PS was also awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the old Silverman full course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a camp down there every year and we stay at Lake Las Vegas. We do most our rides out through lake mead state park toward callville bay and valley of fire. This is part of the old Silverman course, itu long course worlds, etc.

We will also drive one day to charleston and do a tt up lee canyon to the chalet for hot chocolate and lunch, and drive another day to red rock where we start at blue diamond. Red rock can be busy so we always plan in for a weekday morning when there aren't as many cars.

Running the old rail trail from lake mead to the hoover dam is a pretty cool run with some nice views over the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What was the old Silverman full course?

Here's a .pdf: Silverman 2010 bike course
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2007, that looks like it. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride in Henderson/Vegas area [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good memories!

In 2009, we started at Lake Las Vegas Marina (down near Boulder Beach) and went further for the first turn around.

Both good courses.

If someone was going to ride this today, the main difference is at Paradise Hills. Instead of turning into the neighborhood, Union Pacific Trail now continues to Green Valley Parkway and is a better ride.
Quote Reply