Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Career choices for my autistic son - some type of analyst???
Quote | Reply
My 21 year old high-functioning autistic son wants to be a video game designer, but it isn't realistic as he has no interest in learning to program and got a D in a basic computer class. We're trying to help him realize that he has no chance at getting that kind of job without having any IT skills, and help him find something that does interest him.

He loves history and is able to recite all sorts of information. We've also noticed that he can be very observant. My parents changed something in their garage and the first time he walked through it he noticed it and pointed it out. He's done that numerous times.

We were watching a movie (RED 2) and there was a scene that hinted at the location of a dangerous device in Russia. In the scene, the mentally deranged/forgetful character hinted at the location by marching around. My son immediately said "Red Square", and sure enough it was.

So, this makes me wonder if he could possibly get a degree in history and find a job as some type of analyst. Is this something that seems reasonable, or is it far off? In my mind, an analyst is the type of job where you excel at some skill and they move you into that position based on performance.

Any ideas or thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Career choices for my autistic son - some type of analyst??? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m an analyst.

I’ve always seen patterns in numbers. It took a long time for me to realize this was a unique skill. I can look at a data set and just see an error in it. The complication is that I have to know the business as well as the data to see the errors. That seems to be the linchpin. We’ve had analysts that can see the numbers but don’t get how they dovetail with the business and analysts that know the business but only report the data right or wrong.

Honestly, it is a lot like coding. Being able to apply principles or logic to big boring data sets.

His interest in history might give him the big picture but he needs the ability to pour over numbers too.

What about testing products? Knowing how things broke in the past and applying that logic to see where a new roduct might break?
Quote Reply
Re: Career choices for my autistic son - some type of analyst??? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he likes video games but doesn't have the background to code/design might he be able to test? Having a good feel for details would be valuable when testing IT products (whether gaming or otherwise). Testing can also be repetitive which he may also be better able to deal with compared with others doing testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Career choices for my autistic son - some type of analyst??? [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:
If he likes video games but doesn't have the background to code/design might he be able to test? Having a good feel for details would be valuable when testing IT products (whether gaming or otherwise). Testing can also be repetitive which he may also be better able to deal with compared with others doing testing.

That's something that I hadn't considered and is something that he might be well suited for. I can suggest that he get a job testing any type of software to build his resume and experience and then apply to some of the gaming companies. You might be my son's new best friend. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Career choices for my autistic son - some type of analyst??? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our daughter is 15 and has been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD. We are not quite where you are yet, and this is not an oranges and oranges situation but I really sympathize with your plight. Is your son good at repairing things? Because computers and networks break all the time. Is he good with numbers? Having a knowledge of history is very helpful in dealing with a number of things:

"A significant number enter the legal profession, where their analytical and critical reasoning skills are highly valued, as well as library, information and archivist careers, where their research expertise and ability to select, manage and organise information comes to the fore,"

Have you had him tested? Is he proficient in English or math?

Right now our daughter wants to be a YouTuber. Her fall back positions are model, singer and vet. ;) So I can feel your angst.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Career choices for my autistic son - some type of analyst??? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Our daughter is 15 and has been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD. We are not quite where you are yet, and this is not an oranges and oranges situation but I really sympathize with your plight. Is your son good at repairing things? Because computers and networks break all the time. Is he good with numbers? Having a knowledge of history is very helpful in dealing with a number of things:

"A significant number enter the legal profession, where their analytical and critical reasoning skills are highly valued, as well as library, information and archivist careers, where their research expertise and ability to select, manage and organise information comes to the fore,"

Right now our daughter wants to be a YouTuber. Her fall back positions are model, singer and vet. ;) So I can feel your angst.

Bless your heart, you do know what I'm going through. :)

He has been tested, he had strengths in administrative/clerical. He has a great vocabulary, but expressing himself (verbally or written) is a challenge. He does okay with math.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Bless your heart, you do know what I'm going through. :)

He has been tested, he had strengths in administrative/clerical. He has a great vocabulary, but expressing himself (verbally or written) is a challenge. He does okay with math.

Do you think he could use his history skills to see trends? I have a history degree. It has helped me tremendously in figuring out how technology was going to change and what direction the stock market is going to go. Operations Research Analysts gather and and analyze data, run simulations and create predictive models. That field is supposed to grow by 27% over the next 10 years. Now if you add AI to the equation, and your son is good at seeing things others might miss, this could be a field that would provide a good income and ease some of your worries. Check out the Bureau of Labor for what the future looks like in employment opportunities https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out aspiritech.org and mindspark
I've seen a couple news stories about these companies harnessing the talents of people with autism.
Quote Reply