Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The impossible question
Quote | Reply
In 2014, Lucy donated a kidney to her brother. They have both been doing really good and he is enjoying his second chance at life with a vigor. Which makes Lucy very happy.

Here's the kicker, part of that vigor is him sending us gifts all the time. They are well thought out and very nice so that's not the problem. The last gift was a box from one of those steak places with all kinds of steaks, so like I said, nice gifts.

Lucy tells him to stop and he tells her not to tell him what to do with his second chance at life, that she gave him. We are grateful, but he can't work and the gifts aren't cheap.

Do we shut up and just thank him, or beg him to stop, he's thanked her enough?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: The impossible question [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giving to others is one of life's most rewarding choices. The gift giving fulfills his needs. Assuming there is no significant financial risk to him - accept graciously and enjoy. It's a wonderful "problem."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is great that he shows gratitude. Does he live near the two of you? If so, since money may be tight for him - ask him to come help around your house instead of buying things. Tell him that you would be able to enjoy his gratitude more if you didn't feel guilty about it depriving him of needed resources, and ask him if he could help prune some bushes or watch the dogs while you and Lucy go out.
Quote Reply
Re: The impossible question [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
It is great that he shows gratitude. Does he live near the two of you? If so, since money may be tight for him - ask him to come help around your house instead of buying things. Tell him that you would be able to enjoy his gratitude more if you didn't feel guilty about it depriving him of needed resources, and ask him if he could help prune some bushes or watch the dogs while you and Lucy go out.

I would love that idea, but he lives in NY and I live in S Florida. We have sent him tickets to come down and stay with us in the past, I think it's time for another set. Thanks for the insight.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been ensnared by gift-giving protocol:

Seriously, I think all you can do is just to say thank you, and maybe remind him that such gifts aren't really necessary.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: The impossible question [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
You've been ensnared by gift-giving protocol:

Seriously, I think all you can do is just to say thank you, and maybe remind him that such gifts aren't really necessary.

Hahaha.

Do I have to give him another kidney?

Quote Reply