Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you hated Mr. Tibbs before...
Quote | Reply
Your about to get more company.

I saw the new movie 'The Passion of the Christ' last night. I am going to cover it from two points. As a movie and how it depicts jews.

I must state ahead of time that I do not believe in any God, I do not believe in an after life or anything of the sort. I saw this movie purely as a movie buff.

It is an incredible work. It pulls no punches on how a story like the passion would have really looked and felt. It is shocking and incredibly violent. The scenes of Jesus's torture and his journey to the hill carrying his cross is stomach turning brilliant. As a non believer I was still moved to tears on the power of this story. You will find no made for tv movie drama here. It is as bare bones and forthright a movie as you can get.

It was done in Aremaic. All lines are subtitled in English. After the first 3 minutes you won't even care.

Many jews have a problem with the movie and see it as anti-semitic. A powerful scene where a jewish priest curses Jesus under the cross is very disturbing not by what it says about jews but the pure power of the scene. Anyone looking to be offened will be. My defense though is that is not a pure christian story. In a lot of ways it is a jewish story. Jesus was jewish, his supporters where jewish, his enemies where by and large jewish. This film does not single them out because it is the story of the jewish people.

It is a stunning creation and I encourage everyone to see it no matter what your spiritual views. Look for it to go awardless because it breaks convention Hollywood likes in movies. In other words Mel Gibson left the cookie cutters at home.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: If you hated Mr. Tibbs before... [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to share the review. My interest is now piqued.

Brett
Quote Reply
seen Willem Dafoe's film? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: seen Willem Dafoe's film? [Max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breaking news, a message from Mistar Tibbs:

Hmmpth hmmmth hmmm
Quote Reply
Re: seen Willem Dafoe's film? [Max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah didn't see what the fuss was about. Sure it wasn't sunday school materail but it sure wasn't Gilli.

Quote Reply
Re: seen Willem Dafoe's film? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?

Quote Reply
Re: Jews and the Passion of Christ [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a really interesting subject, that predates this particular movie...

>Jesus was jewish
true

>his supporters where jewish,
sort of, probably most were initially but there were also plenty of Gentiles

>his enemies where by and large jewish
perhaps, dont forget the ultimate decision to kill him was made by the Roman authorities.

When thinking about the Gospels (wiritten decades after the death of Jesus) in a historical way, you have to take into account the biases of the authors of the various gospels and their sources, the bias of the early Church which decided which Gospels were included in the canon and which were discarded as aprocryphal/heretical, etc. Given the very real anti-Semitism that existed among the Christian Church over the ages, it makes me wonder if the depiction of the Jews (particularly the Jewish "chief priests and elders") is as historical as possible or reflects an anti-Jewish bias.

(Basically, in the New Testament, the Jewish priests were depicted as the ones who plotted to have Jesus arressted, demanded that Pilate release the murderer Barrabas instaed of Jesus, and incited the crowd to call for Jesus' crucifiction. Pilate is portrayed as someone who doesn't want ot get involved, believes Jesus is innocent of the crages brought against him, and executes him only very reulcantly. So even though the final decision to kill Jesus was made by Pilate, the Romans come out looking quite good compared to the Jews... funny.)

Anyway, just as I don't believe "The Sopranos" is inherently derrogatory to Italians, I don't think I will find "Passion" likely to incite fresh waves of anti-Semitism. Sounds like a great movie and I can't wait to see it. However, when you hear that the movie is anti-Semitic, there might be an element of truth to it, it's just that any anti-Semitism would go back WAY before Mel Gibson.

You must be a much bigger player than you've been letting on.
I thought the movie is only being privately screened to very select audiences.
I know you're a very select Slowtwitcher, but ....?
Quote Reply
Re: If you hated Mr. Tibbs before... [michaelg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very select audience doesn't mean rich high power movie player. It could also mean your wife's boss goes to a huge Baptist church in town that was one of the test audiences and got your wife two passes. If I where to pull some wool why would an atheist make up seeing a Jesus movie and give it great reviews?

Quote Reply