Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

which bike for Pontevedra? road or tri?
Quote | Reply
Please advise this flatland moron:

I am thinking about what kind of bike to ride at the ITU Worlds Aquabike in Pontevedra this May. Which bike would you recommend: a tri bike or a road bike? And is the benefit of one over the other strong or weak?

Thanks!

Course details:
5054 feet climbing over 72.53 miles (1540m/117km). Multiple climbs of 4-7% from 0.5 miles to 2 miles in length.

Here’s the course map: http://pontevedra2019.org/...letas-info/aquabike/

Coming from Miami this might as well just say ride up the face of the Empire State Building. Last summer I did Roth on my tri bike which was about the same total climbing but over 112 mile. I did all right, except that I had a virus that made my day a vomiting nightmare.

Longer story:
I own one bike, my tri bike. I’m not poor, but I am cost-conscious so I sold my old road bike when I bought my tri bike. I have been considering buying a new road bike but have put it off. If justifiable from a racing sense, this race might be a good excuse to buy a new one.

Looking at the race profile, I think I might want a road bike, but I am not certain. I don’t have much experience with climbing anything other than a big bridge. Comfort is not an issue. I am looking more into the advantages of weight and handling. More than likely I will get an aero-road bike rather than a really lightweight bike optimized for climbing. That will reduce the benefit of the road bike over the tri-bike, but around here an aero-road bike has much more utility.

I am not going to set the world on fire at this race. I am MOP at best. I’m really just looking for a fun experience, but if the bike will make a difference, I’m willing to get it.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: which bike for Pontevedra? road or tri? [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the steepest grades are only 7% I'm gonna say tri bike is probably faster, but you could do a few simulations on bestbikesplit.com and get a more accurate answer.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: which bike for Pontevedra? road or tri? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do math. XX watts saved over XXmminutes flattish on TT versus XXwatts saved over XXminutes climbing.

I'd still assume tri bike. I wouldn't think until you get into the 100 feet per mile average, and higher for a course would you go road bike.

I'd really research the descending also so you know when you can hold your speed and when you shouldn't. Hesitation there could cost minutes, or a crash.

Also, God forbid you're climbing something not super steep like 4% and encounter a bad headwind on the road bike. You'd be cussing yourself.

There's a 50ft per mile loop locally the college boys practice riding on. I TT'd it one night and they couldn't catch me, even uphill. The uphill had a nasty headwind. They had 10 to 12 guys rotating through.....collegiate racers......couldn't catch a lowly Cat 5 guy with kids on his TT bike. They'd stay about 10 to 20 feet back off my wheel and yoyo closer/further in parts.

50ft per mile ain't nothing, but the answer is almost always "tri bike".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found what appears to be a Canadian team member You Tube Go Pro video of the Pontevedra course from a few years ago. Check it out. Looks like it was a group ride--fast descent for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:
Please advise this flatland moron:

I am thinking about what kind of bike to ride at the ITU Worlds Aquabike in Pontevedra this May. Which bike would you recommend: a tri bike or a road bike? And is the benefit of one over the other strong or weak?

Thanks!

Course details:
5054 feet climbing over 72.53 miles (1540m/117km). Multiple climbs of 4-7% from 0.5 miles to 2 miles in length.

Here’s the course map: http://pontevedra2019.org/...letas-info/aquabike/

Coming from Miami this might as well just say ride up the face of the Empire State Building. Last summer I did Roth on my tri bike which was about the same total climbing but over 112 mile. I did all right, except that I had a virus that made my day a vomiting nightmare.

Longer story:
I own one bike, my tri bike. I’m not poor, but I am cost-conscious so I sold my old road bike when I bought my tri bike. I have been considering buying a new road bike but have put it off. If justifiable from a racing sense, this race might be a good excuse to buy a new one.

Looking at the race profile, I think I might want a road bike, but I am not certain. I don’t have much experience with climbing anything other than a big bridge. Comfort is not an issue. I am looking more into the advantages of weight and handling. More than likely I will get an aero-road bike rather than a really lightweight bike optimized for climbing. That will reduce the benefit of the road bike over the tri-bike, but around here an aero-road bike has much more utility.

I am not going to set the world on fire at this race. I am MOP at best. I’m really just looking for a fun experience, but if the bike will make a difference, I’m willing to get it.

Thanks again!

I will be there with my P3. I've done Quassy HIM (now IM CT 70.3) and IMLP at both the HIM distance and IM x2, so that lineup includes some HILLS.

Tribike is my vote for multiple reasons.

Train on hills. Feel free to look me up and say 'Hi' when you are there. I'll be the old guy in M55-59 looking worried about the swim...
Quote Reply