Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Has anyone seen any polls or study that [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
So you are stating it is "moral" to wait until you have a condition to enroll for insurance?

Depends on the situation. I think it's both the rational individual choice and the moral social choice to be prepared for medical care (whether insurance or some other method).

But, if say, a poor mother is working 3 retail jobs to put a child through college to break the cycle of poverty, and she puts off her cancer treatment for 3 months in order to hit the enrollment window, I'm not going to finger wag in her face.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone seen any polls or study that [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chaparral wrote:

You don't need a mandate. Just without a mandate the rates charged will have to increase to take into account people waiting to buy health insurance until they need it.

There are other tools to combat that kind of gaming of the system, though. 1) have enrollment windows (already in place to some degree), so you can't just wait until you have an issue to enroll (unless you get lucky and get sick in the window), 2) longish-term contracts (e.g. at least one year), and 3) have some regulation on what a "pre-existing condition" is, to allow people with chronic, long-term conditions to get coverage but protecting against someone who, say, breaks their leg in a bike ride signing up for insurance during the ambulance ride (if he were lucky enough to break the leg in the enrollment window).

The moral hazard of the enrollment window is it get incentivize people to live with their condition until they get to the next enrollment window.

More good points, just proving that a mandate is not necessary, just simplifies the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone seen any polls or study that [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
eb wrote:
No worries, bro. It's just that I couldn't pass up a fat juicy pitch like that one.

And you missed the randomly capitalized H in the middle of a sentence, the incorrect use of "your," and some missing punctuation.

While we're at it: your logic is flawed. The fact that I didn't comment on those issues does not mean that I missed those issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next