Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I got an email from Google today
Quote | Reply
and in this email was a link, and this link is a set of maps, one for each day, showing were I went, went to work, had lunch, etc. for the last couple months.
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit, I was able to pinpoint your location for each day for the last several months and I don't even have access to your phone ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
and in this email was a link, and this link is a set of maps, one for each day, showing were I went, went to work, had lunch, etc. for the last couple months.
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

You just got this... the have been sending that to me for a year. You can go to your google site, and see your timeline. Then really freak out about how long they have data going back.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Creeps me out too. I keep my GPS off and tracking location off.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

You just got this... the have been sending that to me for a year. You can go to your google site, and see your timeline. Then really freak out about how long they have data going back.

This.

If you really want to be creeped out, go to Google maps, hit timeline, and look at every place you've ever been.

Facebook tracks you like this as well.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least Google gives you the option to turn it off . Or at least turn it off so you can't see your own data. I'd assume the still collect it for advertising...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

Got a few of those months ago, but no longer get them. As someone else pointed out though, you can access the same info from your profile.

A couple of times a year I fly down to GA and drive back with my daughter home from college, and the reverse trip. Google shows every single gas station, bathroom break and meal stop we make. Crazy that Google stores that level of data, but it has allowed us to plan the drive better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

You can turn off location history as a setting in your Google account, assuming you have one.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you all using that tracks this? I went to timeline on my phone and it said no history. Very freaky that they would keep all of this information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

You should change the Subject to "Don't go to a T-Swift Concert!"...if you are a stalker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

Two words.

Big Brother.

I'm sure you've read 1984. The only modern day difference will be the cell phone will be used to track and control the masses.

Case in point....could you exist without your cell phone?

And...it's not just Google, it is all of your apps that track you. If you have a cell phone, you can be very simply tracked.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

You should change the Subject to "Don't go to a T-Swift Concert!"...if you are a stalker.

And leave your gadgets at home if you are a serial killer.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
What are you all using that tracks this? I went to timeline on my phone and it said no history. Very freaky that they would keep all of this information.

on a computer (might work on a browser on a phone) go to google maps pull down on left choose timeline

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

Two words.

Big Brother.

I'm sure you've read 1984. The only modern day difference will be the cell phone will be used to track and control the masses.

And...it's not just Google, it is all of your apps that track you. If you have a cell phone, you can be very simply tracked.

I don't have a cell phone of my own, but my company does provide me one. I use to say I would not buy one if they didn't provide it. I think I am still there, But its great for navigation, and to have something to do while waiting for a Dr., Dentist etc. But I am sure I could find other things.

I don't see much else that i "need" that I do with my phone. ( I mean I would end up with a phone to make calls, but not sure I would use data, then again the wifi network is growing so you don't need much data.) can you get a non-GPS cell phone? (Maybe a flip phone? )

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tried it and got nothing. Shrugs. I was excited to learn what I have been up to for the past six months.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I just tried it and got nothing. Shrugs. I was excited to learn what I have been up to for the past six months.

Past 6 months? Mine goes back to 2009.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Trispoke wrote:

Past 6 months? Mine goes back to 2009.

Mine has 2009 but there is on data till 2013.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

Two words.

Big Brother.

Vitaminwater will pay you 100K to give it up for a year. Give it a try, make some coin.
https://www.cnbc.com/...ones-for-a-year.html
Quote Reply
Re: I got an email from Google today [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
tritimmy wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Freaking me out.
This has got to stop.

Two words.

Big Brother.

Vitaminwater will pay you 100K to give it up for a year. Give it a try, make some coin.
https://www.cnbc.com/...ones-for-a-year.html

I wonder if anyone will do it? I actually don't see how it is possible. For example, I don't (and I've heard this is a huge trend) even have a land line anymore. How would I conduct life business if I didn't have a cell phone, and kept it honest by not using someone elses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can download the entire history Google have of you

You can also delete it

It's creepy
Quote Reply