Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm not eating for the next 5 days
Quote | Reply
Just thought I’d tell everyone.

I’ll keep you all updated.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not eating for the next 5 days [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one way of getting out of tipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried that a couple months ago.

Made it 3 days...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think on day 4 you are supposed to see God, or Buddha, or some spiritual being. SO how you gonna do it, water only, coffee, tea, juices, broth???

Trying to clean up your body, lose weight, eat some bad cells, what is the goal??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that the second day was the worst. After four days I didn't feel hungry at all and even when I did eat I couldn't eat much. Your body just burns fat after a while. Most people have plenty of fat to last a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not eating for the next 5 days [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I tried that a couple months ago.

Made it 3 days...

I did it about a year ago, just decided I was going to stop eating, made it 4 days I think, but then it was Sat. I was bored and home and there was food around, so I ate it. I wasn't hungry just bored.

Now that other issues are being fixed, I find I can not go more than about 6 hrs without eating or I get hungry and at about 8 hrs I start to get a headache and feel sick.

Oh I just ate dinner. LOL

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to rain on your parade but I do a 5-day water only fast once per month and last month did a 7-day. I'm too humble to talk about it though but don't worry though, you can ask me anything about it.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Dec 12, 18 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not eating for the next 5 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amateurs - How about 382 days.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...stmedj00315-0056.pdf

Actually, this article is more interesting and includes the 382 day guy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...without-food/508220/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not eating for the next 5 days [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Amateurs - How about 382 days.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...stmedj00315-0056.pdf

Actually, this article is more interesting and includes the 382 day guy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...without-food/508220/

Damn, 456 to 180 pounds, and then maintained at 196 lb. for five years after. That's pretty incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Not to rain on your parade but I do a 5-day water only fast once per month and last month did a 7-day. I'm too humble to talk about it though but don't worry though, you can ask me anything about it.

I love how a few years ago, this was called having an eating disorder.

Now it is 'healthy'.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you choose to repeat this regularly, can you summarize what you gain from it.

FWIW, I am surprised by how little food I need on a daily basis to maintain myself (6' 1", 190).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I have no clue, what Parade your raining on.. you do realize this thread was started as a further spoof on the I am eating vegan for 5 days right.

As for going on my litte Im not eating trip, eh people go longer all the time. Not sure how many just decide right before lunch one day, that there not going to eat and just stop. Not that it matters, I just know now, it would be a lot more challenging than it was then, which was basically no different than any other 4 day stretch of my life.

Good for you by the way lots of evidence that a few day long fast is good for you. Just don't let it go to your head thinking your doing something superhuman. Kind of like thinking because you do Ironman Tri's your something special. Lots of folks do them.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not eating for the next 5 days [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I love how a few years ago, this was called having an eating disorder.

THIS IS CULTURAL APPROPRIATION

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have no clue, what Parade your raining on.. you do realize this thread was started as a further spoof on the I am eating vegan for 5 days right.

I was also joking.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not eating for the next 5 days [mop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you choose to repeat this regularly, can you summarize what you gain from it.

I originally read about a process called autophagy after a Japanese scientist won the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for medicine while doing research on it. I read that to get into autophagy, the average person has to consume no calories for about 3-4 days and then the body will start "eating itself" to get energy. The reason the Peace Prize was given was that there is optimism that when the body is in autophagy, it will first eat dead cells and tissues and that could include cancer cells. It is also good for anti-ageing since old cells and garbage are cleaned out of your body. It is believed that regular periods of prolonged fasting are very beneficial.

I also wanted to reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes, both in our family. In the last year, I reduced my fasting blood sugar from 6.8 (multiply that by 18 to get the U.S measurement) to 5.7. It is still a little high but coming down. My body weight went down 15 lbs and every single blood marker has improved. I did my first 5-day fast and it was difficult but they became much easier as I did them regularly. Now, I feel far better when I don't eat so always look forward to my monthly fast. I did do a 7-day fast also and that was a little more difficult but 5-days is easy and I don't suffer at all.

After one year my blood sugar and body weight are far more stable, I don't have any food cravings, I've eliminated sugar, my insulin levels are way down and I just feel far more energized and feel much healthier than at any point in my life (I am 57 years old).

FWIW, I am surprised by how little food I need on a daily basis to maintain myself (6' 1", 190).

That's exactly what I have noticed after a year of regular fasting. You simply don't need near the amount of food that we keep being told we need. I eat a high fat diet (lots of avocados, grass fed meat and eggs, wild fish, nuts, nut butter, olives) and a very large salad every day. I also never snack and only eat 2 meals a day (lunch and dinner) so in my non-prolonged fasting days, I do intermittent fasting. I probably eat 50% of the calories I used to eat and have far more energy so it's just the quality of food and replacing carbs with quality fats.

We've really been sold a bill of goods with the "6 meals a day" or "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" nonsense that has been ingrained . That and the idea that we need sugar and carbohydrates to survive is just plain nonsense (there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate). The food industry should be held to account for the lies they've told to sell more of their products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

We've really been sold a bill of goods with the "6 meals a day" .

WHERE do you live. I don't think I ever heard anyone say you should eat 6 meals a day. I have heard some say you should break up your 3 meals into 6 small snacks each day (ie I eat an Oatmeal in the morning, a few hours later some prunes, then something small (a taco, small salad, etc) then some grapes later on (then dinner probably only meal) then some small snack in the evening . But 6 meals a day shit that would be a lot of food.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

We've really been sold a bill of goods with the "6 meals a day" .

WHERE do you live. I don't think I ever heard anyone say you should eat 6 meals a day. I have heard some say you should break up your 3 meals into 6 small snacks each day (ie I eat an Oatmeal in the morning, a few hours later some prunes, then something small (a taco, small salad, etc) then some grapes later on (then dinner probably only meal) then some small snack in the evening . But 6 meals a day shit that would be a lot of food.
Every time I've heard the 6 meals a day stuff it's in the context of 6 small meals.. 300-400 cals. The idea is that feeding your body continuously keeps it from entering starvation mode and you're never overeating.

I don't know if that's true or false. Seems to me you'd have to really stress your body to go into starvation mode. I know from personal experience that if I eat dinner at 7pm and don't eat again til 8am, and just eat 3 meals, that's when I lose weight. It's taken tons of work but in 10 years I went from 195 to 145, and the majority of the weight loss was in what you'd consider starvation mode.. 3 meals, no carbs after lunch, and Ive had plenty of energy.

I think sanuk is in to something that it's the quality of the stuff you take in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "6 meals a day" idea has been around for decades. It doesn't mean 6 large meals, it is meant as breakfast-lunch-dinner plus snacks mid-morning, mid-afternoon and in the evening. If you do a search, you'll see a lot of people still advocating for it.

The theory being it would stabilize blood sugar and you would avoid the ups and downs. It does of course stabilize blood sugar at a level far too high and it creates high insulin, which is really the big problem.

When I lived in Thailand, the Buddhist monks ate 1 meal a day and I noticed they were very energetic and fit looking, and most were well into their 80's or 90's. It struck me that maybe we not only eat way too big portions but way too often. I'm hoping to get to 1 meal a day and stay there, you really don't need to eat that much, particularly if you live a relatively sedentary life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting, thank you for taking the the time to elaborate.

I've juice fasted (more water than juice but still not true fasting) a couple of days at a time and felt good but didn't know if I was doing myself good or harm. It's that sensation of the body eating itself that made me wonder. I'll try water only sometime after the holidays and see how it goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The "6 meals a day" idea has been around for decades. It doesn't mean 6 large meals, it is meant as breakfast-lunch-dinner plus snacks mid-morning, mid-afternoon and in the evening. If you do a search, you'll see a lot of people still advocating for it.

The theory being it would stabilize blood sugar and you would avoid the ups and downs. It does of course stabilize blood sugar at a level far too high and it creates high insulin, which is really the big problem.

When I lived in Thailand, the Buddhist monks ate 1 meal a day and I noticed they were very energetic and fit looking, and most were well into their 80's or 90's. It struck me that maybe we not only eat way too big portions but way too often. I'm hoping to get to 1 meal a day and stay there, you really don't need to eat that much, particularly if you live a relatively sedentary life.

I'm pretty close to 1x per day at this point (if I were to average it out over 7 days I would say 1.2x). Fairly active training 6 days a week (no long distance stuff) and my energy is higher than it's been for years. Started by pairing IF with keto but now just avoid shit food (most of which is high in carbs so still fairly keto-ish). The combo of IF and limiting carbs has been a game changer for me in terms of how I feel.

No multi day fasts though..think I'm going to give one a shot. Knowing I already fast 18-20 hours a day what do you think would be a good starting point? 2 days?
Quote Reply