Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [robbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how I missed this! Now this is some real evidence!

This is what I was looking for. That said, I still don’t think she could do anything other than wave the moto off and race on.

But wholly crap how do you put minutes into a chase pack with 20-25km left?

So she clearly benefited from a draft sadly I still don’t think she can do anything besides waving at the moto and then continuing to race.

Tri Tim wrote:
If you look at the splits of the top girls on the IM tracker, you will see that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place girls out the water were all riding at the same pace or actually gradually putting time into Lawrence (who had led out of the swim) throughout the bike right up until the last split after which she accelerated away from them. I understand that a couple of the girls had virtually caught holly at c. 20-25km to go before she accelerated away to put more than a couple of minutes into her nearest rival at t2.

I watched the entire video feed live and don’t recall a great deal of the other footage being filmed directly from in front of riders apart from the footage linked above which was in the last 30-40 mins of the women’s bike (there could of course have been other motorbikes out on the course that were not filming).

I hear that this definitely impacted the dynamics of the race and it is sad and frustrating that organisers keep allowing this to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She could have stayed on the right side of the road? The main argument here is not that she should have been waving at the moto and abandoned the race, the argument is that she committed a position foul by being on the left side of the road when she shouldn't have been.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
She could have stayed on the right side of the road? The main argument here is not that she should have been waving at the moto and abandoned the race, the argument is that she committed a position foul by being on the left side of the road when she shouldn't have been.

Don't bother. He has willfully ignored this point multiple times already. I guess he thinks that since she couldn't get away from the moto, she had no choice but to use the entire lane to make sure she stayed right behind it.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope not a foul, this has been done 1000s of times by Frodo and other leaders of races.

imswimmer328 wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be the last time I address you or the issue. You suggested as a coach I had to have a higher standard. I showed you evidence for why I suggested an infraction occurred. You then proceeded to argue and say things that I've never said. So I'd appreciate if you would keep it to the facts, especially with you sitting behind your keyboard. You want to have an discussion about things, great let's have an discussion. But your refusal to understand the rules, how officials officate, etc shows your lack of understanding.

I've not once called her a cheat. I showed how/why I showcased she was in violation of an drafting/riding infraction. I've not made it personal, you have. I brought nothing but facts into this discussion, I'm sorry you haven't. You can disagree, and that's great, but I'd appreciate you keeping it to the facts of the discussion, not putting things on me that I've not said.

So you want to say I should be held to a higher standard, I've done everything above reproach. You simply disagree and in doing so trolled and made some statements that I never made. I'd appreciate if you keep my name out of your posts moving forward if your going to engage in the manner you have.

You will be ignored, and I'm taking a break from ST. This just isn't worth it anymore.

Good day!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doooogy, I went back and read your posts. I must apologize, I had you and eric combined in my brain. Your comments were quite rational and did err on the side of the athlete on many occasions.

I like your comments regarding the motos vs quality broadcasting...it’s a tough call, but I disagree as I think I’d rather just have blog coverage, and behind the athlete video than knowing that the wrong person won because of drafting.

Thank you for being patient, and sorry it took so long to go back and read all the posts.

PS. We can agree to disagree on the blocking violation as it may be written that way but in spirit has it ever been applied to a lead racer? I ask because I routinely see leaders all over the road, right, middle left etc..
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
Does sponsorship sell gear to me ?
Not really.
I do shop at Aldi though, just like Ali and Jonny Brownlee 😎
But that's more to do with Aldi being 30% cheaper for groceries than the alternative, once the store moved into my town !

Sponsorship absolutely sells gear. Just look at Roka Wetsuits, the entire business was built on sponsorship (athletes + Ironman). There is nothing technically superior, they are not priced better, than don't offer better customer service than to say BlueSeventy wetsuits. Sponsorship at some level is just another form of advertising.

Their entire business is giving wetsuits away for free. Not a sustainable business model.

I am surprised by the level of athletes picking up free gear these days. I know a fairly average aqathlete who is well off elite times that is getting free polar HR monitors, asic shoes and kit, zone 3 wetsuit amount lots of other kit. I guess it is all about "influencers" Given the writing quality of his blog though I would be surprised if he has much reach. If anything it puts me off spending on these brands knowing a slower athlete is getting it for free.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:

I am surprised by the level of athletes picking up free gear these days. I know a fairly average aqathlete who is well off elite times that is getting free polar HR monitors, asic shoes and kit, zone 3 wetsuit amount lots of other kit. I guess it is all about "influencers" Given the writing quality of his blog though I would be surprised if he has much reach. If anything it puts me off spending on these brands knowing a slower athlete is getting it for free.

If you're fast, but have only 300 instagram followers, yets he's slow and has 10k instagram followers. Whom is getting the free stuff? I think we've covered this in other threads.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're paying for his sphere of influence. Speed doesn't matter. Being able to tell a good story and prove business results does.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this hasn't been discussed on the other threads, but social media following is really a joke and is a horrible return that most business are not doing correctly. The majority of athletes (or their agents) have either bought followers or padded their follower count, this comes with "like buys" and "video views". The problem is this engagement is from people who are uninterested in the product. It is far better just to buy ads from Facebook as at least you can guarantee your audience.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
boing wrote:

If you're fast, but have only 300 instagram followers, yets he's slow and has 10k instagram followers. Whom is getting the free stuff? I think we've covered this in other threads.

But I think this is often false reach - if you go on a Twitter spree follow 100,000 people so they follow you then go an unfollow them to make it look like you are an influencer I cannot imagine you are really a good bet sponsorship wise. Also there is no knowing how much these "influencers" are going to work for your brand. One poorly written "review" on a blog read by a handful of people is probably not going to create many sales. At some point you wonder if there is kickback against it. If someone is getting a lot of sponsorship support and push themselves out there as a top athlete but not posting quick times the sponsors may get negative results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:

But I think this is often false reach - if you go on a Twitter spree follow 100,000 people so they follow you then go an unfollow them to make it look like you are an influencer I cannot imagine you are really a good bet sponsorship wise. Also there is no knowing how much these "influencers" are going to work for your brand. One poorly written "review" on a blog read by a handful of people is probably not going to create many sales. At some point you wonder if there is kickback against it. If someone is getting a lot of sponsorship support and push themselves out there as a top athlete but not posting quick times the sponsors may get negative results.

I'm not on team follow-back. I know another guy who tried to put how many twitter followers he had on his journalist resume or some such (we both write about rugby), and he also follows 20k accounts. Like no shit, team follow back is a thing, and I'm not on it.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Maybe this hasn't been discussed on the other threads, but social media following is really a joke and is a horrible return that most business are not doing correctly. The majority of athletes (or their agents) have either bought followers or padded their follower count, this comes with "like buys" and "video views". The problem is this engagement is from people who are uninterested in the product. It is far better just to buy ads from Facebook as at least you can guarantee your audience.

I think that's why brands are starting to lower their threshold for how many followers you have before they make you an "ambassador". Lululemon is adding 100 ambassadors and their minimum threshold is 250 followers on instagram. You can of course purchase followers, or someone like...Angela Naeth with a bot on her account basically commenting on every one of my triathlon posts. She's not the only one, but it's been flushed out in another thread. But if they're a person that also has 1,000 posts on instagram a lot of that growth might be organic, especially if they're pretty. I'd say it's easier for women to become influencers in that way.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 14, 18 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, which is why actual engagement rate (and then tying said impression/engagement to business results) is what actually matters.

You can do that with some pretty simple tools and some cheap FB/IG/Messenger ads. But that's just me talking...

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

I think that's why brands are starting to lower their threshold for how many followers you have before they make you an "ambassador". Lululemon is adding 100 ambassadors and their minimum threshold is 250 followers on instagram.

If you're referring to the #lulurecruitment craze on IG, that got debunked by lulu corporate, it's not them. Really interesting to see how quickly and fanatically that thing exploded.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [bryguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious...

Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence Drafting Video at Bahrain 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it on good authority that the ITU is going to be cracking down on moto conduct in races, to try and mitigate the influence that they can have on results... The first step was increasing the moto draft zone from 12 to 15m in the rule update released Nov 30th... Additionally early in the new year, there should be an additional guidance document on moto conduct that will be available, and will be used as a mandatory document as part of event operations, in terms of education for motos on the race courses... Right now, this looks restricted to ITU, so not sure how this will spill over to WTC, but the document is supposed to be in a similar vein to the new guidelines the UCI are rolling out on moto conduct in the field of play for cycling races... Not sure if this will fix everything, but it's a promising sign that they are responsive to the complaints, and taking the issue seriously.

I'll keep an eye out for the revised document and try to post it here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next