One for the history and Navy buffs;

https://www.bbc.com/...-off-yorkshire-coast
Quote Reply
Re: USS Bonhomme Richard found [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
One for the history and Navy buffs;

https://www.bbc.com/...-off-yorkshire-coast[/quote

As an avid Great Lakes wreck scuba diver for many years I love these stories. With modern technology more of these historic wrecks are being found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Paul Jones's flagship, upon which he uttered the famous words "I have not yet begun to fight!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: USS Bonhomme Richard found [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
John Paul Jones's flagship, upon which he uttered the famous words "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Maybe he should have started sooner?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: USS Bonhomme Richard found [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Maybe he should have started sooner?

Oh, he fought against both Serapis and Countess of Scarborough as early and as often as he could, closing in and using every weapon he could muster (including the hurling of harsh language at both ships, as well as farting in their general direction ;-)

Jones and Bonhomme Richard fought against Serapis and her master, Captain Richard Pearson, in a truly memorable 3-and-a-half-hour duel. It was early in the sea battle, in fact, when it looked like Serapis had the tactical advantage, that Pearson challenged Jones to strike his ship's colors and surrender. That's when the American skipper is quoted as exclaiming "I have not yet begun to fight!" And that was also when the fighting became truly brutal. Both ships maneuvered around each other, letting fly with every cannon shot (as well as grape and other anti-personnel munitions in addition to snipers, grenades and anything else available) and broadsides as often as possible. At battle's end, American casualties were estimated to be 150 with nearly as many British warriors also either killed or wounded.

Jones' seamanship was peerless. Even knowing his ship was taking on water too quickly for damage control efforts to keep up, he deftly maneuvered his ship so that it finally gained the advantage and could have destroyed the British warship if it so desired. In effect, Jones had outlasted his adversary and once its surrender was complete, transferred his command to Serapis, which was standard practice at the time when one's own warship was threatening to take you and your men down to the depths after "winning" a battle. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: USS Bonhomme Richard found [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to ruin a joke.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Way to ruin a joke.

Hey, I'm not happy 'til you're not happy. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Way to ruin a joke.

C'mon now, you know Kahuna can't pass over an opportunity to deliver a well-prepared (one might almost say "plagiarized") lecture in which he educates the LR on some topic in such a manner as to simultaneously satisfy his personal need to read his own words on the screen and also induce painful eye-rolling from the rest of the posters in the thread. At least this time he didn't explicitly mention his own decorated and distinguished military service.

In case you forgot, Kahuna served in the military.

I'm plank owner on the newest USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6). It's always interesting when they find these ships or aircraft buried deep underwater. Always amazing how much remains intact or identifiable after so many years.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: USS Bonhomme Richard found [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son did a cruise on the Bonny Dick and I got a cool spill proof ceramic coffee mug out of it.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the story:

"The USS Bonhomme Richard... was sunk in Flamborough Head in 1779... Its location had been a mystery for decades."

What?

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you get to come home for the holidays?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Do you get to come home for the holidays?

I'll probably try to get 4 or 5 days back on the East Coast around Christmas.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Way to ruin a joke.

C'mon now, you know Kahuna can't pass over an opportunity to deliver a well-prepared (one might almost say "plagiarized") lecture in which he educates the LR on some topic in such a manner as to simultaneously satisfy his personal need to read his own words on the screen and also induce painful eye-rolling from the rest of the posters in the thread. At least this time he didn't explicitly mention his own decorated and distinguished military service.

I'm plank owner on the newest USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6). It's always interesting when they find these ships or aircraft buried deep underwater. Always amazing how much remains intact or identifiable after so many years.

You're actually one of the few people I've considered putting on ignore. All I did was recite well-known history, sir, in maybe sticking up for a sea service I was a member of long before you were, by the way.

In fact, I think I will put you on ignore. You don't seem to be a nice person.

Good day, sir.

Quote Reply
Re: USS Bonhomme Richard found [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Way to ruin a joke.

You're actually one of the few people I've considered putting on ignore. All I did was recite well-known history, sir, in maybe sticking up for a sea service I was a member of long before you were, by the way.

Good day, sir.

If you're not careful, you're going to hurt my feelings.

You should thank me. I gave you an extra chance to remind everyone that you served in the Navy.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Way to ruin a joke.

Good day, sir.

If you're not careful, you're going to hurt my feelings.

You should thank me. I gave you an extra chance to remind everyone that you served in the Navy.

As guy I used to work with would occasionally say “you’ve hurt my feeling”. Such a stupid joke. And I would smile\chuckle every time.

Last edited by: BLeP: Dec 10, 18 19:19
Quote Reply