Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice?
Quote | Reply
My 10 year old son wants to start triathlon.
Are there any good starting points? Parents with experience?
We have a local kids sprint in June.
I was thinking for the next couple of months start a base, by running slow, work on swim technique, and bike power? What are good distances to start?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun fun fun.

Kids those ages should work on max sprint ability, running "slow" is not really advisable. Have them go to the greenway and sprint to "that tree down there"....recover and "sprint to that sign", when he's dead you'll know it. But "running slow" or building up mileage isn't really all that necessary as short intensity will be better for a youth aged kid of that nature. Kids triathlon runs are rarely more than a mile for his age, so "endurance" isn't really needed. It's kinda the opposite of how you would coach an newbie adult athlete.

Swim technique- put him in a swim program, most cities these days have all kinds of options. 1-2 days a week practices all the way to every day.

Bike Power- screw that, just go ride with your son. If he wants to ride fast, great. But I'd encourage more bike skills/handling than "bike power".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second what B_Doughtie says.

My girls are both in a swim team, that's their main sport, but one of them dabbles into triathlon once in a while (sometimes just Aquathlons) but I don't really have her "train" triathlon. Instead, she plays soccer a couple of times a week over the winter, she gets to run there. She also rides her bike to school a few days a week, and on Sundays she comes with me on my long run, but she brings her bike.

We also go to the park where we practice a bit of bike handling skills, just so she starts learning how to turn, etc.

At that age it's all about fun. Kids should play many different sports to acquire different abilities. I did the ITU Level 1 Coaching cert this year, and one thing they talked about kids is we shouldn't specialize them. They should have as much fun as they can, and play many sports. The only constant is swimming, it'll be harder later, so get them in a swim program.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I really wish I had started at an early age. I didn't even know what triathlon was until I was about 28.

There's a 10 year old girl in Colorado who is often at the big races beating all the older folks. They keep her gear fairly simple, but they also do a lot of relays with her. Her dad likes to let her do the bike and swim, and in smaller races, she does the bike. The bike course can get intimidating and fast (same goes for the swim I suppose), and there are also a lot of races that do not block streets off entirely for races. Therefore it can get pretty dicey for youngsters unless the bike is on a closed course.

Another cool option for young people is indoor triathlons. They do a pool swim, stationary bike, and treadmill in order to start getting used to those requirements.

A good starting point would be a simple, small, local sprint triathlon. Try to get your child on a relay team to share efforts, and eventually transition (no pun intended) into doing all 3 legs of the triathlon. Finally, you can check out my site in my signature, it's got resources and a book for people brand new to triathlon. It is a super short read and includes info on how triathlons work, transition, stretching, and what triathlon gear is needed and what is not. Note that the training plans are designed for adults, and kids should not train the same way that adults do.

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Last edited by: TrainHrdRaceEz: Dec 9, 18 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [TrainHrdRaceEz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally, you can check out my site in my signature, it's got resources and a book for people brand new to triathlon. It includes a sprint triathlon training plan.

--------

Kids at that age don't need to train like adults would for their 1st even sprint triathlon. So I wouldn't advise reading literature on sprint triathlons and then apply it to a 10 or 11 year old. Their bodies aren't developed enough for the type of workouts that are in those. Kids at that age need high energy type of work, not "endurance" work.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I will modify it to remove the training plan part and to specify that it includes other beneficial information for this young'n on the following: transitions, stretching, gear, and generally how triathlons work.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [TrainHrdRaceEz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. Hell I wouldn't "advise" a 10 year old to do a sprint triathlon distance (especially one with a open bike lane) but there are always exceptions etc.

Funniest thing kids can do is transition skills. Put helmet and shoes 30 yards apart, and just have them race back and forth putting their helmet and shoes on. Keep it simple, and fun for youth athletes at that age.

Build obstacle course for them on the bike. Have them ride one handed, have them jump on and off their bike.

I teach transition/bike handling skills much more over "endurance" biking for youth athletes. The endurance on the bike will come, but where you can see huge developmental improvements is their confidence when they cant do a skill and then 1 month later have a skill mastered.

Skills to master:
-ride with no hands
-putting a bottle on the ground and picking it up
-hoping on and off bike
-riding one legged on one side of the bike with the other leg behind as your just about to jump off bike (flying dismount essentially)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with your approach. I've seen a lot of the young athletes only do like a 5K or 10K as a part of a relay race. It keeps it fun for them and they're usually pretty good at the run too.

No comment on the transitions...easily the worst part of my race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once a year I make my parents do a kids practice, with the kids "parenting" the parents during that practice. It's by far the funniest practice we have.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks this is really the kind of info that I was looking for. I looked at your site and you seen to have quite some experience with kids.

I myself have raced all distances, and currently I'm training for a trail ultra. I can work out a decent training plan. But I did have the feeling he shouldn't train like me.

I see most kids use a simple mountain bike, and he's ready for a size up. What would you typically suggest, if I were to get him a new bike? Just a mountain bike, maybe mount some slick tires for race day?

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that age mtb or cx...something he can go ride it on the street and the mud. He's a 10 year old, he may decide he only wants to do 1 race a year, and the rest of the time he wants to ride with friends. So at that age, get him bike that has more diversity than a performance bike. Save that for when races really matter- junior/youth elite level.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
My 10 year old son wants to start triathlon.
Are there any good starting points? Parents with experience?
We have a local kids sprint in June.
I was thinking for the next couple of months start a base, by running slow, work on swim technique, and bike power? What are good distances to start?

I live in Bham. There are two really well run kids races that both my kids have done. TriBlossomwood in Huntsville and the one at the Sportplex in Opelika. My 10 year old has done 3 tri's and my 8 year old has done 2. We only do one race a year and I don't "train them for races. We just focus on being active. I do practice bike handling skills for transition the week before the race.

Theres actually a tri camp for kids being put on by Vulcan Tri club this coming weekend that we're going to attend. You should look into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon for kids - any good resources / advice? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id start by letting him play sports, ride bikes around with friends, & hang out at a pool during the summer. Nothing more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just seconding a lot of this advice - swim lessons/ club/ team - whatever would be fun with good instruction. Then running sports and fun with running/ biking.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply