Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me"
Quote | Reply
I recently acquired an iPhone XS (pronounced "Ten S" but the deliciously appropriate pronunciation "excess" hasn't escaped me). I've turned off most notifications (texts, e-mails, and calendar items the obvious exceptions) and all my apps are allowed to record my location only when using them, if they're allowed to do so at all (most aren't).

That said, the friggin' thing is doing two things that simultaneously piss me off, scare me, and (admittedly) help me.

1. When I get in the truck, a Maps notification pops up and tells me how long it's going to take to get to the destination to which it believes I'm headed (with frightening accuracy, I might add). It started at work when it began telling me how long it would take to get home and which freeway I should take. Yesterday, for the first time, I got in the truck with my daughter in the morning and it told me how long it would take to get to her school (her school location is not saved anywhere in my contacts, which is how I understood such predictions are made). Last night, I got into the truck at a location I'm not usually at, but the phone popped up and told me how long it would take me to get home and the best route. (Even stranger, the notifications only pop up when I actually get in the truck - not when I'm merely near my truck.) WTF? How do I turn this off?

2. I have the Starbucks app loaded and I've saved my "favorite" locations therein. Every time I drive past one of those locations, a notification pops up alerting me to my proximity thereto. WTF? How do I turn this off?

As to both issues, I've swiped left on these notifications and hit "Manage" in an attempt to tamp the monster down, but it keeps stalking me. Now I'm at a loss.

Gracias.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just embrace your new AI overlord.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your truck have a bluetooth connection to your phone?

Turn off the GPS function and it can't tell you any of that or track where you're going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your need to vary your routine.

Personal security 101.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you own a cell phone and it is on, you have 0% privacy. Get over it. I have a friend (retired full bird) who worked in an office without windows. He watched TV and read online papers, monitored Face Book and other Middle Eastern TV/ inner web publications all night. Had a report on the Washington DC desk at 0700hrs every morning. I used to ride in the mornings and generally rode three different courses in three different directions from the house. He would "meet " me mid ride about 90% of the time.
We were drinkin one night and he told me how he "dropped in" on his daughters e mails and Facebook accounts which she thought were password protected. Also mentioned how stupid some folks were in thinking that anything is safe or private on the inter net. And that he "dropped in" on a lot of folks in the Middle East. Got me thinking that maybe he was tracking me on cell towers because I didn't have a smart phone. Didn't carry the phone with me a few times and his incidental meeting rate dropped to about 1 in three. I asked him about it and he said "hell no" that would be illegal... but maybe. Now I carry the phone and look forward to someone to ride with. So when you carry your phone you are pretty much consenting to be tracked by anyone with the desire and means. Don't get me started about cameras and facial recognition, but me thinks in 10 years or less your passport will be worth less than your face at the airport.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a quote by a security professional who said something like, "If the government tracked us like our phones do then there'd be a revolt."

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
If you own a cell phone and it is on, you have 0% privacy. Get over it. I have a friend (retired full bird) who worked in an office without windows. He watched TV and read online papers, monitored Face Book and other Middle Eastern TV/ inner web publications all night. Had a report on the Washington DC desk at 0700hrs every morning. I used to ride in the mornings and generally rode three different courses in three different directions from the house. He would "meet " me mid ride about 90% of the time.
We were drinkin one night and he told me how he "dropped in" on his daughters e mails and Facebook accounts which she thought were password protected. Also mentioned how stupid some folks were in thinking that anything is safe or private on the inter net. And that he "dropped in" on a lot of folks in the Middle East. Got me thinking that maybe he was tracking me on cell towers because I didn't have a smart phone. Didn't carry the phone with me a few times and his incidental meeting rate dropped to about 1 in three. I asked him about it and he said "hell no" that would be illegal... but maybe. Now I carry the phone and look forward to someone to ride with. So when you carry your phone you are pretty much consenting to be tracked by anyone with the desire and means. Don't get me started about cameras and facial recognition, but me thinks in 10 years or less your passport will be worth less than your face at the airport.

I know I have no privacy and I don’t really care.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say way less than ten years
https://edition.cnn.com/...cognition/index.html
Last edited by: Art M.: Dec 8, 18 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea Art, I was probably being generous. The reason I mentioned that is we just came back from Europe and in Denver we scanned our passports in a machine that took our picture then the agent compared both pictures together. I am sure a machine could be faster and more accurate than a man doing that. Welcome Big Brother, you are here. Who knows how many times my mug was on camera this trip? .. Planes, trains, bus stations, about town, and even boat docks cameras were every where. Can't imagine the gigs it will take to assemble all that stuff, but it could be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This summer my brothers and I were reminiscing about a game we played as kids. One I know I have never searched for online. Within a week I had Facebook showing me Amazon ads for this game.

There are some quite humorous memes around the joke that we all have a FBI agent cyber stalking us.

Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseR wrote:

There are some quite humorous memes around the joke that we all have a FBI agent cyber stalking us.

Just thought I'd reply to this. No reason. Carry on.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
JesseR wrote:

Just thought I'd reply to this. No reason. Carry on.

Which one are you?

https://i.redd.it/2l313nnb6nh01.jpg

Last edited by: JesseR: Dec 9, 18 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have specific recommendations, but you are right to be concerned. Investigative journalism reminds us that our iDevices are terrifying
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help Me Ditch my Tail, or "My iPhone is Stalking Me" [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
I'll say way less than ten years
https://edition.cnn.com/...cognition/index.html

Used this in Toronto going through customs the summer of 2016.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply