Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [mdannelley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdannelley wrote:
Come join me for Rock Cobbler in Feb.?

i hate to admit this, but i just don't think i'm man enough for that ride. it's too long, too hard, and too february for me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mdannelley wrote:
Come join me for Rock Cobbler in Feb.?

i hate to admit this, but i just don't think i'm man enough for that ride. it's too long, too hard, and too february for me.

agreed.... I'm more the pebbler distance fan.. Like for BWR.. I'll choose "wafer" ride. When you get near 100 miles or + with that amount of climbing, I end up not enjoying myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this topic yesterday(?) when it was just the first post, and now I've read through all the replies... Interesting.

My background is triathlon first, then road racing (on a team). Now it's primarily cycling, with some involvement in the local tri scene as a low-level sponsor.

Some time back, maybe 15 years or more, I had an idea to start up a road team, maybe even a tri team, made primarily of older racers looking to "give back" to the sport. I had chosen the saluki as the team mascot, or the representation of the membership if you will -- grey, sleek, fast, quiet. We would be the ambassadors of sport, and the sport, in every way: ethical conduct, quiet confidence, mentoring.

I never followed through, though I did have interest.

Fast forward to now, I'm building bikes, and I put on a couple gravel events each year, the older of the two had its 5th edition this past May. Not races, per se, but challenging rides on a mix of paved and unpaved roads (and in some cases, "roads"). Yes, some folks who show up make it a race, that's just what happens when two or more riders are grouped together. I don't really consider myself a "racer" any more -- I've scratched that itch and I'm fine with where I am now.

I do find some interest in the idea of a gravel team. There is a thriving scene here in the PacNW with a handfull of promoters. I don't think there are any gravel tris, however. I have been bugging my tri series promoter about that in the last few years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good stuff here that made me think of a couple additional things.

1. For some of the big races, they sell out on day one, 6-9 months before race day. I wanted to try Land Run next year, but didn't have enough confidence in travel plans, etc. to sign up on Nov. 3rd, and it sold out in seven minutes. So having teammates to plan with early out would be helpful for these bigger races, and get the ball rolling enough to sign up.

2. Also for big (field and/or distance) races, exactly how you show up, get your bike set up, line up, take the first 15/30/60 minutes of the race, I'm not really sure. Having experienced top riders to learn from and follow would be huge. And I could reciprocate by helping to pace them back after a flat, or doing checkpoint duties at a big event like DK200 or something (though I may have a conflict, so no promises).

3. Since you mentioned it, discounts on consumables like tires would be helpful for sure.

4. Would your current kit design work on black jersey? Because white kits and dirt/sand/mud aren't always best friends.

brando

currently signed up for:
Old Man Winter (Lyons, CO Feb 10)
SBT GRVL (Steamboat Springs, CO, August 18) - got an email today that they have ~100 spots left and going fast
Rebecca's Private Idaho (Ketchum, ID, Sept 1)

plan to sign up for:
Crusher in the Tushar (Beaver, UT, July 13) - reg opens Jan 2 (and probably fills up within hours)

maybes/sound cool:
Gorge Grinder
Belgian Waffle Ride
Rattlesnake Rally and Dead Swede (Wyoming gravel series)
lots of others
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
(oh, and it would be nice to have some events up in my neck of the woods)

Never looked into it until now, but you seem to have some great gravel roads out by Lake Rossignol, KejimKujuk lake and further SW of there. Find a town with some basic services and a community hall, use RWGPS to map out a loop, and boom you have an event! Make it free the first year. A grassroots, show up and ride a cool route with friends. If it works, make it into a paid event with timing, support, insurance, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
(oh, and it would be nice to have some events up in my neck of the woods)

Never looked into it until now, but you seem to have some great gravel roads out by Lake Rossignol, KejimKujuk lake and further SW of there. Find a town with some basic services and a community hall, use RWGPS to map out a loop, and boom you have an event! Make it free the first year. A grassroots, show up and ride a cool route with friends. If it works, make it into a paid event with timing, support, insurance, etc...

I "think" that I can map out a couple or three xterra-type courses within the city limits pretty easily. Gravel would be doable as well, especially down in the Keji area. (Friends are building a cottage down on Molega lake, that would be a good location).

However, I'm not sure I want to be getting into actually organizing an "event". I'd be more inclined to turn it into an informal training day / group swim/bike/run. Basically, if someone else were to organize it, I'd show up...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that hard. Way easier than Belgiun Waffle and the 1st 18 miles are neutral.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [mdannelley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdannelley wrote:
It's not that hard. Way easier than Belgiun Waffle and the 1st 18 miles are neutral.

the belgian waffle is too hard. at least the long course. i'm a wimp, big daddy. i'm not like you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't need teams anymore, we need communities. ST is a community - I'm not even a triathlete and you all let me in here to say crazy things. It was my mission over six years ago to convert some Ironman clients who were 'looking for something different', and got them into cyclocross (Chicago has a very large 'cross series). Some of them moved up to Cat 3, some of them take the bacon handup in the Masters 50+.

Dan is Correct: Road is DEAD. Interbike is DEAD. No one wants to be an Elite Rider anymore. Only the bike lives (and the running shoes, and speedo, too, if you're into that). We have a community already, we like to do what we do. Teams are like spouses...

We don't need no stinkin badges!

Maybe a secret handshake. Or a sticker, that is the community emblem. Cheaper than jerseys. Possibly more insider-cool than QAnon.

We gravel because it makes the beer taste better. Are we searching for a purpose? Perhaps to just...keep..Twitching?

May I suggest that a small list of events be designated as Burning Man-type of convergences for fellow ST-ers to aim for?

Slowman wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I'm trying to imagine what this would look like - I'm going to assume most 'elite' riders already belong to teams/clubs, but I suppose this isn't an exclusively 'elite' rider thing.
how this came up, a few people i know, pretty senior in cycling, are not on teams. kind of felt abandoned by their teams, by any teams, because their focus is in gravel racing and perhaps the odd gravel triathlon. typical USAC teams just haven't yet come to grips with the fact that road racing in the US is dead (it just doesn't yet know it's dead).

i don't really have a burning desire to start a team and, if i did, i certainly don't want to RUN a team. the only way i'd do this is if i, we, slowtwitch, is carried along by the current, rather than paddling against it. i gravel race. i'm not on a team. jordan's not on a team. paul thomas is not on a team. i think a lot of other high achiever road cyclists who've transitioned to gravel are finding it hard to fit comfortably on a team.

as for team tactics, etc., no, i don't see this as a purpose of the team. so, what is the team's purpose? good question. i don't want to be a team looking for a purpose. but i also don't think it's solely my job to gin up a purpose. maybe there are good reasons for a team to exist beyond what i might think up.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
We don't need teams anymore, we need communities. ST is a community - I'm not even a triathlete and you all let me in here to say crazy things. It was my mission over six years ago to convert some Ironman clients who were 'looking for something different', and got them into cyclocross (Chicago has a very large 'cross series). Some of them moved up to Cat 3, some of them take the bacon handup in the Masters 50+.

1) And we will never escape cat 3. Except Guliano. I'm sure there's something he's not good at.

2) I think our cross series is a good example of community. There's 'teams' all over, but everybody is pretty friendly and mostly there to have fun and build each other up....unless you find yourself in the back of a masters race.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha! so true!!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome new 5 day ride announced in Oregon in June.....Team SlowGrinders???

http://www.oregontrailgravelgrinder.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm thinking about a gravel team [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
awesome new 5 day ride announced in Oregon in June.....Team SlowGrinders???

http://www.oregontrailgravelgrinder.com/

yup. saw it. this is the future!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think the idea is cool, I think a lot of teams and sports develop out of the love, joy, challenge, and fun one derives from that sport. Sometimes a lack of purpose, other than purity of doing a something, is the perfect way for something to grow from a "nothing" into a "something."

I am pretty focused on my current Triathlon goals, but reading this post, knowing I have been talking about gravel bikes, and/or riding a bike outside of my TT bike, this immediately caught my interest. Variation of bike handling skills, is a new challenge and can make you better in other ways.

A focus on gravel will not only expand ST network, it will help ST expose triathletes to other variations of their sport, which to me, means growth for everyone. Reaching more people can only help the general sport of two wheels not to die off.

I have appreciated the information/content ST provides, it has helped me grow in my own athletic ways, and I think many athletes could use a little more understanding of the "whys" behind the work. Although, the intelligence behind some of the users, has been quiet intimidating, it has certainly helped someone like me who once just thought work hard- then work harder. Its nice to know there is the work smarter group willing to help people like me out.

That being said:
* I know nothing about gravel riding other than what I have seen GCN/cycling outlets
* I have limited time window- thus I usually train alone (or with my partner)
* I hope you find some leadership that can put this idea into motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell! Why am I just seeing this today? I hear through the grapevine that Middle TN will have a new gravel event in 2019. You know you have a place to stay.

And Ian - I REALLY like this name! ha ha
Quote:
Morgan's Gravel Squad

Murphy Mack puts of fun events - and this is just prior to the Womens coming to Xantusia... http://superproracing.com/gravel/ranchlands/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this in motion??? Would love to be in on this!

Use my name, randydial, in the promo/VIP code for 40% off @ http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next