Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate?
Quote | Reply
I feel that the Superteam and Yoeleo wheels and other Asian brand wheels have been around long enough now people would be dumping them on Ebay/Craigslist. A cursory search once in a while doesn't reveal much if any of at least those two brands.......when it comes to "used" items.

I'd assume their price points would mean a decent number of folks buy them and are floating around in circulation.

So, is it presumptuous to speculate that either these end up as "bin jobs" and never even make it to Ebay/classifieds? Or, presumptuous to speculate that they are actually working out well enough that people are content and not "dumping them". Or, despite all the glossy hype and numerous forum topics........not that many people ever end up buying them.

What say you guys? Not arguing quality or experiences, but the phenomenon of not seeing many for sale......used.
Quote Reply
Re: Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues with the 2 pair I've bought. I sold one set on a FB forum, but still keep another pair for training. Nice to have a set of training wheels you can trash and don't care if they get abused. The pair of Chinese wheels sold within a few days of posting. A Flo 90 I have had for sale since August.....still sitting in my bike room/study.
Quote Reply
Re: Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you only pay ~$400 for wheels to begin with, their resale value drops down to a comically small amount after use. I have a pair of 88mm U-shaped wheels I payed $380 for over a year ago I still race on. Even if I wanted to sell them I'd probably only make $200 off them if that. When I get a new wheelset I'll keep these around as a backup or for another bike. I think most who buy chinese are probably in a similar situation.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone that bought them died. Haven't you seen the threads?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to say. Maybe low re-sale value discourages sales?

It can be difficult to re-coup shipping and import charges in a 2nd hand sale. If a wheel was worth $350 new you probably don't want to Pay $350 for a 2nd hand one just because the Origional owner paid $150 in import charges.

May be cheaper carbon wheels are also more likely to be used more / with less reverence so ridden to a state where there is little point reselling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have sold some Zipps that I could flip and some Flo's that I could flip, but at such a low purchase price, it isn't worth my effort to sell my China carbons. I just keep accumulating them. I now have four sets for cyclocross. I don't care if I ride them with a flat, over curbs, whatever. I consider them disposable, but nothing has happened to them. They just keep working and I now keep enough sets to keep dry, mixed, and mud tires mounted full time tubeless and a couple tubular sets.
Quote Reply
Re: Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which wheels specifically are you using for cx? All the disc brake tubulars I've looked at have a similar weight to HED ardennes so I haven't given them much consideration. Maybe I haven't been considering the shallow depth wheels, but I like the reliability I know I'm getting from HED, and ease of relacing if I do damage a rim.
Last edited by: commendatore: Dec 4, 18 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
I have sold some Zipps that I could flip and some Flo's that I could flip, but at such a low purchase price, it isn't worth my effort to sell my China carbons. I just keep accumulating them. I now have four sets for cyclocross. I don't care if I ride them with a flat, over curbs, whatever. I consider them disposable, but nothing has happened to them. They just keep working and I now keep enough sets to keep dry, mixed, and mud tires mounted full time tubeless and a couple tubular sets.

Yeah, this may be it. Cheap enough that people accumulate them and never dump them. Or if they do, it's one of those "come get all this crap" posts on Craigslist.

On the flip side, I'm stunned at how much money some 8 year old wheels go for sometimes. An 8 year old HED 9/10spd rear disc often seen for $350 to $500 on Ebay/forums. When you can get a brand new RON for $550 or a brand new cheaper HED for $850ish.

In my eyes, you rode it an unknown/unproveable distance and it's almost a decade old.......it's only worth maybe 10% original MRSP. So, on a $1000 wheelset or wheel........that's $100.

What are cars? 10% depreciation after the first big hit in the first year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That we all love ours and continue to race and train on them many years later!

And also since I only paid 300 for the pair, i can't really expect to get anything for them on ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That is because all of them have exploded.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
which wheels specifically are you using for cx? All the disc brake tubulars I've looked at have a similar weight to HED ardennes so I haven't given them much consideration. Maybe I haven't been considering the shallow depth wheels, but I like the reliability I know I'm getting from HED, and ease of relacing if I do damage a rim.

something about like these for tubular

not too heavy, Sapim spokes

very durable including running several laps on a flat, never a broken spoke.

i wait for price fluctuations with a goal of about $365-380 with novatec hubs or a bit more for bitex
Quote Reply
Re: Not many used "Chinese" wheels on Ebay, what's this indicate? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
That we all love ours and continue to race and train on them many years later!

And also since I only paid 300 for the pair, i can't really expect to get anything for them on ebay

exactly this...i purchase a pair of Yoeleo wheels 3 years ago. A few thousand miles and 1 big crash later, they are still perfect and still on my road bike. I don't plan on selling them since they are worth more to me than what I can get for them on ebay and I've been super impressed with them. I bought a Enve 8.9 front wheel for the tri bike which ended up crumbling before I had a chance to use it. 2 months later i'm still dealing with Enve's warranty claims and waiting for a replacement. 3x the price, quality issues and a crappy customer service has me rethinking these "BALLER" wheel companies - it's a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Chinese wheels are great.

I see them occasionally available locally. Most of the guys that own them don't see the point in selling them because they're worth about as much as a decent set of training rims, so you might as well hold on to them.
Quote Reply