Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best training rim
Quote | Reply
What is everyone liking for a aluminum training rim? I've got hubs I'm going to use (24h front/28h back). I do want them to be tubeless ready in case I ever decide to go that route. I'm looking for something that is 'average', i.e. average weight, average aero, average durability. Not too worried about price, as I already have the hubs, so even the most expensive Al rims won't make the project too expensive

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to be Velocity Rims were pretty good for training. I don't know about their pricing, etc. anymore. They had a wide range of rims.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your race wheels? I would look for rims that most closely match my race rims to simplify the change over. For example, similar width and same material would make the swap effortless. If your race rims are aluminum track, then I would look for good training rims that have the same brake track width. Ditto for the carbon variant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 30's. I'm pretty sure I've read they are tubeless ready. Might want to check their website to confirm.
Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

treyedr wrote:
Flo 30's. I'm pretty sure I've read they are tubeless ready. Might want to check their website to confirm.

All Flos are tubeless ready. But as mentioned above, only get these if your race wheels are a similar width so you don't have to fiddle with the brakes every time you swap.
Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
What are your race wheels? I would look for rims that most closely match my race rims to simplify the change over. For example, similar width and same material would make the swap effortless. If your race rims are aluminum track, then I would look for good training rims that have the same brake track width. Ditto for the carbon variant.

This makes a lot of sense, I've got Enve's for my race wheels so def a wider track. They are carbon and I'll be going aluminum, so looks like I'll be continuing to switch pads...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you go for mid depth, definitely try ENVE SES 3.4 . I've had for quite a long time, they never let me down. Great dry and wet braking and better than 4.5 which are overpriced imho.
Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the Flo 30 rims still available? I just checked their site. The rims are listed for $40 each, but only available in 36h. That made me think they were being discontinued.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

This makes a lot of sense, I've got Enve's for my race wheels so def a wider track. They are carbon and I'll be going aluminum, so looks like I'll be continuing to switch pads...

If you're going to go aluminum training wheels and carbon race wheels then rim width difference won't matter. You're going to have to realign the shoes no matter what for optimal braking performance either way. The pads will wear at different rates and angles, so it will never be as simple as just swapping the pads. Luckily...the process isn't that hard so I wouldn't worry about it. I usually check the brake pad alignment anytime I do a wheel swap...even if the widths are the same with the same braking surface. Usually a 2-3 minute job max.
Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Chris from FLO said in another thread that they 30 wheels are discontinued. They are selling off the rims, and when they are gone, they are gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This. This is the very best training rim.

Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using a pair of Roval SLX 24 clinchers I got off the evilbay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Dura Ace C24's, they are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Best training rim [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Velocity wheels and have 4 sets.
- Ailerons for gravel
- 2 sets of 20/24 Quills (polished and red color) for ultracycling events and one 24/28 Quills (black) for daily riding.

Tubeless setup was easy using Gorilla tape and a hand pump. Maintenance is easy and parts are very available.

Best point is they roll well and in spite of crappy roads in south central PA they have never had to be re-trued, and I don’t baby them.

If interested, call and talk with them. They give our group (Team Army Cycling) good support.
Quote Reply