Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anybody here celebrate advent?
Quote | Reply
I've never met anyone who does it like my family did and still does.

Dim lights, light a candle on the ring, listen to xmas music for however long feels right. Talking frowned upon.

meditative and nice.
Quote Reply
Re: anybody here celebrate advent? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do, we also sing a traditional Advent carol as we light each candle. This year we are drinking a different traditional german beer every evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, don’t even know what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to, but then I found out you can just buy better chocolate for cheaper and not have to tear a up calendar to get to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
I've never met anyone who does it like my family did and still does.

Dim lights, light a candle on the ring, listen to xmas music for however long feels right. Talking frowned upon.

meditative and nice.
We didn't quite go to those lengths but every dinner we'd light however many lights for the week, then every Sunday we'd dim the lights and my father would read the description for the latest candle to be lit that week. I've been 'out' of religion since childhood but my wife and I started going recently and with our baby we plan on doing something similar to my families as he gets older. One thing I noticed that's either changed over the years or is different for Methodists (or at least our current church) vs. Catholics is no pink candle. I can't remember the significance but I noticed there was no pink candle for some reason.

Either way I always thought it was a good reminder of what we were celebrating during the holiday's, even if us kids just wanted presents it did give us a small bit of religious substance every week.
Quote Reply
Re: anybody here celebrate advent? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight we lit the menorah and decorated the tree. The kids got gelt and chocolate from their advent calendars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid we had an advent wreath we would light each night at dinner.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: anybody here celebrate advent? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
No, don’t even know what it is.

Me either. So I went and googled it.

And my cousin's wife just posted a pic of the wreath/candle thing on Instagram, so I at least know someone that does celebrate it.
Quote Reply
Re: anybody here celebrate advent? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to church and taught a Sunday school lesson about it. We lit a candle on a wreath, colored an advent wreath and started an advent calendar.
At home with my own kids I did nothing. Strange now that I think about.
Quote Reply