Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jet 9 black disc cover
Quote | Reply
Aerogeeks

I'm fortunate enough to own a p2 with a set of jet 9 blacks. Rode a 4:54 bike split at ironman Italy for a 10:19 finish time and got 14th in AG. I now have the kona bug and am looking to try and qualify. Means I need to optimise kit as well as train my nutsack off (working on that too) as free speed is best speed. Instead of buying a disc I have booked a training camp because I figured that would give me more speed than a disc would. Looking around the forum I see a disc cover could maybe increase my speed pretty cheaply - however they are fiddly and I'm not sure how much it would save me over my 90 rear anyway. Already have powermeter, aero helmet, tight tri suit and a decent bike fit so I think I have most of the low hanging fruit already.

has anyone got a jet 9 and had good results with a disc cover - if so which one? if anyone had any quantifiable data that would be amazing
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 9 black disc cover [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably won't be as fast as a Jet+ Disc but maybe pretty close. The thing is a disc is designed with a certain shape in mind to maximize aerodynamics while a cover (such as the Wheelbuilder one) is pretty generic and when you slap it on different wheels with different rim shapes and depths it will have different aero properties. They (Wheelbuilder) have some aero data published but will a cover be just as fast on your wheel?... maybe / maybe not.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This certainly is a way you can go but I do like just getting a separate disc if you can as well. They add a good 350 grams, plus there always interference issues with the cassette and chain unless you do a real bang-up job.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be faster than no cover. It will be lighter than a reg disc. They can be finicky to get on but that’s just trial and error. You may have spots that are not even and distort the shape a bit. I know some people just tape the cover on instead of using the fasteners.

They are “shaped” so that the drive side is flat, non is convexed. My only issue is it rubs in small/small but I’m not riding that gear usually.
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 9 black disc cover [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all

Kind of confirms what i already thought which is a maybe... i guess il save up for a proper disc at some point instead and use the 90 til then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back when the Super 9 came out, a former pro who now coaches did a test. 808+cover vs. Super9. The 808 +cover was faster. My cover on the original 808 was 260 gms. Looking at FLo's are data, it looks like their disc will save you 38 seconds over a 60 rear for a full ironman.

Since you can't use a disc or a cover a Kona, I'd save the money and get a cover. Tape it instead of using the mounting screws. Finally, unless you're within a minute of KQ, you have more work to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 9 black disc cover [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Back when the Super 9 came out, a former pro who now coaches did a test. 808+cover vs. Super9. The 808 +cover was faster. My cover on the original 808 was 260 gms. Looking at FLo's are data, it looks like their disc will save you 38 seconds over a 60 rear for a full ironman.

Since you can't use a disc or a cover a Kona, I'd save the money and get a cover. Tape it instead of using the mounting screws. Finally, unless you're within a minute of KQ, you have more work to do.

Hi All,

With Catalyst gone, I am planning a DIY attempt of making a carbon cover for my 808.
Having read loads of content (The TriRig article is noteworthy), I remain unsure of how these are attached at the center of the wheel?

Thanks all in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 9 black disc cover [Jay16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay16 wrote:
Having read loads of content (The TriRig article is noteworthy), I remain unsure of how these are attached at the center of the wheel?
Typically they're not. No need, the cone shape keeps them stiff enough once the outer edge is taped to the rim. But you can always use tape on the inside to pull it closer to the spokes, and some people have used cable ties (zip ties) to keep it in place.
Quote Reply