Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Some dude in the neighborhood... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
Litemike wrote:
It is discriminating to label or act as if this person is unstable due to his military background or to bring his military experience up. If I said there’s a black guy or Muslim in my neighborhood and proceeded to stereotype him as this former soldier / Marine has been, everybody would lose their shit -
I think this is incorrect. People are inferring certain attributes based upon his reported behavior and known background. This is different than inferring certain attributes based on skin color.

But you are jumping to the conclusion that all or many military people share certain negative attributes. Just because this guy is an asshole doesn’t mean it’s because he was in the military, or that assholes tend to gravitate to the military. I personally didn’t understand what the point was in the OP in bringing up the fact that this guy is ex-military, unless he thought that it was somehow pertinent to the fact that guy is a dick, which I personally don’t appreciate.
I am jumping to no conclusions. He has a known background with certain military accomplishments whose name those of us in the military would know if we were told and we have examples of present behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Some dude in the neighborhood... [Brick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brick wrote:
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
Litemike wrote:
It is discriminating to label or act as if this person is unstable due to his military background or to bring his military experience up. If I said there’s a black guy or Muslim in my neighborhood and proceeded to stereotype him as this former soldier / Marine has been, everybody would lose their shit -

I think this is incorrect. People are inferring certain attributes based upon his reported behavior and known background. This is different than inferring certain attributes based on skin color.

But you are jumping to the conclusion that all or many military people share certain negative attributes. Just because this guy is an asshole doesn’t mean it’s because he was in the military, or that assholes tend to gravitate to the military. I personally didn’t understand what the point was in the OP in bringing up the fact that this guy is ex-military, unless he thought that it was somehow pertinent to the fact that guy is a dick, which I personally don’t appreciate.

I am jumping to no conclusions. He has a known background with certain military accomplishments whose name those of us in the military would know if we were told and we have examples of present behavior.

I guess my point is that people should not be inferring attributes based on his behavior simply because he has a military background. If I mischaracterized what you meant, my apologies.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
I sure hope the cops are aware of him. It would be stupid to take chances when your description of him sounds like what you hear after a school shooting.

That seems like a fairly giant leap to me. Then again, who knows. It's a crazy world.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
Litemike wrote:

I guess my point is that people should not be inferring attributes based on his behavior simply because he has a military background. If I mischaracterized what you meant, my apologies.
I am an Army brat and a retired Army officer. You certainly can successfully infer attributes based on known experiences and backgrounds. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, anyone who has ever prepared a resume is counting on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Some dude in the neighborhood... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Tiger mom or dad in this case.

"6-5 250, bald and tough"

More like Tiger Tank.
Quote Reply
Re: Some dude in the neighborhood... [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Veterans are a Federally Protected group. Many of them face problems we can’t imagine and if it means being a jerk is the side affect, we need to look at why, not call the cops on him because he not what we’re used to. If a banker from Harvard acted that way or a CEO, we would just call him a jerk, but we’re used to rich jerks-
Last edited by: Litemike: Dec 2, 18 5:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned Ex-military because there are a lot of ex-military here and the detail has personal relevance to many. This isn’t a bunch of white guys sitting around talking about Muslims with whom they’ve had no interaction with their entire life.

But I am going to give your appeal its’ proper consideration.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Dec 2, 18 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Some dude in the neighborhood... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think that’s the meaning of “tiger” mom/dad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brick wrote:
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
Litemike wrote:

I am an Army brat and a retired Army officer. You certainly can successfully infer attributes based on known experiences and backgrounds. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, anyone who has ever prepared a resume is counting on it.

Retired USAF officer. Disagree with your basic premise. You can successfully infer possible success in a job based on the experience in a resume. There is no way a resume tells you if someone gets along with others, basic attitude, etc. A resume tells you nothing about someone’s personal attributes; that is what the interview is for. If I could tell what a person’s personality was going to be based on a resume, I’d never need to do an interview. When I read a resume, I am looking for skill sets that match what the job I need done. Inferring personal attributes based on the resume is assuming far, far too much.

Quote | Reply
Pure horseshit. You're obviously sensitive given the lifer background so I guess you can't see it from inside the cocoon, but if you had a job candidate whose background included drama club, playing flute in the wind ensemble, and an internship as a clothing or housewares buyer for Macy's, you'd sure as shit draw some inferences about his makeup from his chosen educational/career path. I was in the military myself, and while there were a lot of people of different stripes who ended up serving along w/ us for a spectrum of reasons given their backgrounds, there's definitely a 'Type' that found the life much better suited than those of us who opted not to become lifers.

Of course not everyone is the same so stereotypes can find exceptions and this guy could well be one, but I really don't think it's that big a reach to associate a military career w/ certain traits. It's not like he was conscripted; he chose that path, and stuck with it when you're afforded multiple junctures to get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
spot wrote:
Brick wrote:
Litemike wrote:

Retired USAF officer. Disagree with your basic premise. You can successfully infer possible success in a job based on the experience in a resume. There is no way a resume tells you if someone gets along with others, basic attitude, etc. A resume tells you nothing about someone’s personal attributes; that is what the interview is for. If I could tell what a person’s personality was going to be based on a resume, I’d never need to do an interview. When I read a resume, I am looking for skill sets that match what the job I need done. Inferring personal attributes based on the resume is assuming far, far too much.
We simply disagree. There isn’t a single resume that I have reviewed that did not attempt to give the reader information about personal attributes. Every resume identifies outside interests, lists some sort of community or volunteer work. And if that is not your experience then certainly every interview touches on experiences from which the interviewer can make inferences.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, speaking of "guys in the neighborhood"...........we've got a gem.

There's a redneck family that somehow has situated themselves in an older "mid town" neighborhood. I say that as in I can't imagine it as their kind of place. They're about 10 houses up from us. They nicely renovated the 1970's house that was there to start with. Keeps the yard real nice.

Here's the kicker....the older guy living there is one of those "immature motorcycle dudes". You know, into skulls, rebel flags, bull testicle effigies. Etc.

So, normally, whatever. But, this guy has his skulls on fire rebel flag hanging on the side of the house and I'm pretty sure runs some kind of lawncare business with Latinos and a couple black guys working the crew. They come do the house every once in a while and there's the cute little skulls on fire rebel flag right there.

I just kind of facepalm a bit. I'm used to seeing CSA and other bumper stickers around here, you grow immune. Just kind of the "in your face brothers" display to his lawncare workers seems kind of odd.

I assume it's something he wouldn't even ever think twice about though. Probably has no idea.

Almost like inviting a Jewish coworker to lunch at the local BBQ restaurant. Oblivious.
Quote Reply

Prev Next