Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tubes with sealant vs tubeless
Quote | Reply
Looking to run the Corsa Speed on my new wheels for road racing but have read so many varying reviews on their fragility. How much benefit would there be in puncture protection if any to run a latex tube with sealant vs going straight tubeless? I know Tom A. has been running them with a latex tube with decent results and Thomas G. I believe is running them tubeless with good results but many others have had a tough time.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with sealant vs tubeless [skinnyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinnyguy wrote:
Looking to run the Corsa Speed on my new wheels for road racing but have read so many varying reviews on their fragility. How much benefit would there be in puncture protection if any to run a latex tube with sealant vs going straight tubeless? I know Tom A. has been running them with a latex tube with decent results and Thomas G. I believe is running them tubeless with good results but many others have had a tough time.

I've posted on this before. TLDR version: choose one, don't combine them.

Drawbacks:

1) Anecdotally (but with a lot of anecdotes), sealant doesn't work as well with tubes as it does with pure tubeless. I don't know exactly why - there has been speculation that it doesn't "stick" very well to smooth latex to the turn tube being an unstable interface that moves around relative to the tire, etc. I ran sealant in latex tubes for about two years, and switched to pure tubeless over a year ago. I'd say, very roughly, that pure tubeless seals about 80% of the time at least to a finish-the-ride pressure, with just sidewall cuts or huge gashes failing to seal. Latex tube+sealant seems to seal about 50% of the time.

2) It's pretty much a one-shot deal for a pretty expensive tube. Even if it happens to seal after a puncture, you're going to want to replace the tube when you get home, which is much more expensive than a patch. In the best case it'll last 4-6 months until the sealant dries in the tube. In which case *maybe* you can inject more sealant, but at some point it starts getting pretty heavy and cumbersome.

3) You have risk of clogging the valve stem of the tube with sealant, in which case your tube is probably done. This can also happen without the tube, but in that case you can just pull the valve stem and blow it out. Cleaning out the valve stem of a tube is maybe possible, but much more difficult.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 24, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with sealant vs tubeless [skinnyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once used vittoria latex tube and conti 4k 2. Sealant never worked with that combo making me really disappointed.. :(

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply