Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maui OWS - Maluaka to Big Beach
Quote | Reply
I'm in Maui at the end of March, and have thought about doing this one.
I'd park at Maluaka, pack my running shoes and sunnies into my Zone3 safety buoy for the run back from Big Beach.
Starting at the north end of Maluaka it would be about 1.6m/2.6km total.

Anyone swim around Pu'u Olai?
The bit from Oneuli Beach to Little Beach freaks me out a bit as there is no place to come ashore... but I bet loads of cool fish and turtles in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Maui OWS - Maluaka to Big Beach [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Anyone swam this?
Quote Reply
Re: Maui OWS - Maluaka to Big Beach [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not there exactly but did a lot of swimming around the 4 Seasons/Grand Wailea just to the north a few years back, training for a 10K. It does got a little creepy around points and small headlands, also if there is any swelling at all it gets magnified.

Swimming alone in tiger shark land, your head goes to some strange places. Also going to have some boat traffic there, I've dived Pu'u alai from a boat and there are a couple other inshore dive sites there.

If you go from Makena Landing north your transits where there is no exit are shorter.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 19, 18 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Maui OWS - Maluaka to Big Beach [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Not there exactly but did a lot of swimming around the 4 Seasons/Grand Wailea just to the north a few years back, training for a 10K. It does got a little creepy around points and small headlands, also if there is any swelling at all it gets magnified.

Swimming alone in tiger shark land, your head goes to some strange places. Also going to have some boat traffic there, I've dived Pu'u alai from a boat and there are a couple other inshore dive sites there.

If you go from Makena Landing north your transits where there is no exit are shorter.

Yeah, plan was to hug the shore as much as I'm comfortable. That balance between deeper water with tiger sharks or shallow water and risk getting pushed into sharp lava flows.

Do you notice the current much when swimming north? I'm pretty it's a strong south flow, but you have to get offshore a bit to feel it.

I'm pretty comfortable with all of ocean between Keawakapu and Maluaka.. so maybe I'll stick to that. Swimming around Pu'u Olai just seems like an adventure! I think my wife would not be happy if I came back with shark bites...
Quote Reply