Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart trainer computer question
Quote | Reply
So i just got a Wahoo Kickr, my first smart trainer, and I want to pair it with Zwift. My question is what device to use as the interface?
My only home computer is really old so I am looking to get a new computer, maybe a laptop or chromebook. I don't know if the chromebook will give me flexibility for other apps in the future other than Zwift. I also want to have an hdmi output to plug into the TV in out workout area. I know I can us my galaxy9 but prefer to get a computer but, I am a bit lost on which way to go. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer computer question [weiky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m using Apple TV 4K
Sits on top of the tv I use for Zwift. Way less than a new laptop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a Zwifter, but I think it needs a computer with decent graphics processing power. It works with Apple TV. That is probably the cheapest and coolest setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to the Zwift web site they pretty much cover what you need for different levels of graphics etc. As for the Kicker it should be able to link via various options to your computer either ant+ or bluetooth depending on the computer. In all the best resource for this is the Zwift site and their technical experts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiky wrote:
So i just got a Wahoo Kickr, my first smart trainer, and I want to pair it with Zwift. My question is what device to use as the interface?
My only home computer is really old so I am looking to get a new computer, maybe a laptop or chromebook. I don't know if the chromebook will give me flexibility for other apps in the future other than Zwift. I also want to have an hdmi output to plug into the TV in out workout area. I know I can us my galaxy9 but prefer to get a computer but, I am a bit lost on which way to go. Thank you

I would start off by trying to mirror your S9 to a Chromecast connected to your TV. The Chromecast will be on sale for black friday. I've seen prices as low as $25 for it.

The Chromebook isn't going to run Zwift, unless it will run as an android app, where performance may be a question. My Chromebook doesn't support android apps, or I'd test it for you.

I'm able to run Zwift on an old laptop, but I'm right at the bottom of what will run it. It seems like I get about 10 fps. Zwift is much better on my phone.
Last edited by: bufordt: Nov 16, 18 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently went with an Apple TV which is great. For $179 you can match the performance of a higher PC in the $700+ range. I highly recommend the Apple TV if you are using a TV for screen as it is by far the cheapest way to get a great Zwift experience. Another advantage to the Apple TV is it gives you the full range of TV streaming so it makes your TV way more useful for general watching and on the bike entertainment if you do non Zwift rides.

If on the other hand you need a new computer for other stuff, pretty much any decent laptop will work. Zwift will run on a pretty low end machine, it just runs and looks way better the more graphics power you throw at it. I ran Zwift for a while on my 6 year old laptop. It worked but did not look great and sometimes got the jitters when the graphics got dense like when riding in a pack. Zwift runs fine on my wife's newer $399 laptop which has an i5 processor but no separate dedicated graphics card. Some type of gaming PC with a dedicated graphics card is the gold standard. I'm not sure if Zwift will run on a Chrome book so check that out carefully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1,2,3 and 4 on the Apple 4K . Was using my Mac before I purchased the AppleTV and wouldn't even consider recommending anyone to use their computer.
Quote Reply