Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: California is in flames, again! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
There are certain places where you wonder if they are any longer good places to live in or buy real estate. Its too bad because a lot of these places were very desirable places to live. Think for example Florida coastal real estate, etc.

you live in canada? that place safe from forest fires? what is your policy? mow down a 1 mile radius of forest wherever anyone lives?

in california we get earthquakes. in other places there are floods, tornadoes, hurricanes. stuff happens. everyone does the best everyone can. but there are very few places in your country or mine that are immune from natural disasters. we've offered our property to victims of this fire, specifically for those who have horses (because have the capacity). we have the luxury of being local them, so can do it. you would do the same if this happened closer to you. i doubt your comment was intended in the same spirit as that from our shithead president.

Whaaoooh. My comment was nothing to do with California fires specifically and appears to be taken out of context. What I was suggesting is that due to climate change (which I am a strong believer) the world is changing and previously safe desirable places to live may not be so much any more due to climate change. Planet earth is seeing changes occurring very rapidly and unpredictably. I mentioned that that Florida seaside properties may not be a great future long term investment but said nothing at all about the current Cali wildfire. BTW, BC to your north had a the same fires a couple of years ago. And I agree that Trump is a shithead president and his comment about the cause being "mismanagement" are totally in line with his ignorance of science and denial about climate change.

Living in Mi, the occasional tornado takes out a house or 2. But that's the biggest natural disaster's we have to worry about.

I watch all these Huricanes / Floods / Fires / Earthquakes / Mud slides and think you know 3 month's of winter might not be that bad.

But it does amaze me how we keep rebuilding in these areas with very little done to save the house from the next event (which specifically flooding) seems to happen ever few years.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
There are certain places where you wonder if they are any longer good places to live in or buy real estate. Its too bad because a lot of these places were very desirable places to live. Think for example Florida coastal real estate, etc.

you live in canada? that place safe from forest fires? what is your policy? mow down a 1 mile radius of forest wherever anyone lives?

in california we get earthquakes. in other places there are floods, tornadoes, hurricanes. stuff happens. everyone does the best everyone can. but there are very few places in your country or mine that are immune from natural disasters. we've offered our property to victims of this fire, specifically for those who have horses (because have the capacity). we have the luxury of being local them, so can do it. you would do the same if this happened closer to you. i doubt your comment was intended in the same spirit as that from our shithead president.

Good on you for helping.

This what makes us great. We bicker and fight about stupid shit every day but things go to shit we put aside differences and just...

...help each other.

update: no houseguests yet. went down there, very few animals. no people. just animal control folks. they have a pretty good set up. huge covered barn, 120 stalls? 24hr a day occupied by animal control folks. free feed, free board (in cases like this) for as long as it takes. pierce college fills first in a case like this. hansen dam second. they're both at capacity. but very little has come up to the antelope valley.

my house is built out of concrete block. 8" block. block and bond beams. i built my own guest house myself out of the same construction. we're 1mi from the san andreas fault. PLENTY of commercial structured built this way. however, i DO have wood roof rafters. roof is fireproof, but, that's the one thing that could burn at my house (besides the outbuildings, barns, etc., which are stick frame construction).

Surprised metal roofs are not required in all these areas. Seems Building Codes are way out of date.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Save that conversation for your real estate agent. These fires are hurting like all of the others.

I'm talking about future investments in certain geographical areas. Wouldn't you rather ask these questions to a climate scientist over a real estate agent?

No and if you cannot or will not help those in need cut the crap. The fires are serious shit, Man.

Seriously, what are you talking about. Where did I ever say that forest fires aren't serious or that these people didn't need help, just like the hurricane victims on the east coast. But I'll say it again - we can expect more of these natural disasters in the future as the earth under goes climate change.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in Croatia we have forest fires fairly regularly. We installed sprinklers on the outside of the house, covering the roof. We didn't have to use them yet but I wander if it would help in these fire prone areas.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Back in Croatia we have forest fires fairly regularly. We installed sprinklers on the outside of the house, covering the roof. We didn't have to use them yet but I wander if it would help in these fire prone areas.

I think given the population density, you would run out of water before being able to cover all the houses.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:

I think given the population density, you would run out of water before being able to cover all the houses.

Let's not forget that forest fires have always been naturally occurring events. That's how the forest renews itself but by preventing the normal cycle of life the underbrush just becomes heavier and more potentially more off a hazard . As humans we've interfered with mother nature's cycle and sooner or later it will come back and bite us in the ass.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Surprised metal roofs are not required in all these areas. Seems Building Codes are way out of date.

Please. This is California. We regulate the crap out of anything possible. Here's the standard building code. Then there's the extra code if you live in a designated "wildland-urban interface"

If you don't want to read like a ton, the short version is if you live in a high-risk area, you have to have a roof material tested to "Class A". Wildland-urban interfaces have to have extra features, like mandatory metal gutters (to collect leaves), roof free of valleys that could collect embers, vents that prevent ember intrusion...and lots of other stuff.

And of course it's not just roofs, but all materials and "defensible space" are covered to the nth-degree.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:

Let's not forget that forest fires have always been naturally occurring events. That's how the forest renews itself but by preventing the normal cycle of life the underbrush just becomes heavier and more potentially more off a hazard . As humans we've interfered with mother nature's cycle and sooner or later it will come back and bite us in the ass.

This is the biggest thing. We stop the fires to protect homes, which just builds up more burnable material. There’s not a good fix or answer.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:

This is the biggest thing. We stop the fires to protect homes, which just builds up more burnable material. There’s not a good fix or answer.[/quot

I think Southern California is somewhat unique in that most of the burnable stuff is brush as opposed to having mature forest where periodic fires clear the underbrush but the main forest stays intact. Do they require people to clear away an envelope around their property, I don't know and don't know if it would work? When I told a guy from France I owned a forest he was surprised that if didn't take a lot of work to clear out underbrush because that is required over there.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, properties in burn areas are supposed to der brush to certain distance

But add 50 mph winds and low humidity, doenwt take much more than a ember
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Hey now, don't go saying how we have mismanaged our forests...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Why don't people build concrete homes? Other parts of the world build out of concrete and you almost never see homes burning down.

Earthquakes.

BTW, a good friend of mine built in a fire prone area here in SB. There’s a building material that basically “builds like wood” (cut, screw, nail, etc.) but it is completely fire safe (will not burn). It’s used all over the place.

City of Santa Bárbara would not approve the use of the material.

I've used fiber cement siding. I recommend it though it's a bit more of a PITA than wood siding and hard on blades. Paint lasts a LOT longer on it than cedar.
Quote Reply
Re: California is in flames, again! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be happy to know a bit more about this since I try to stay as far away from single family residence design as possible. Unreinforced masonry will obviously do poorly under seismic loading, but reinforced concrete structural systems can be readily engineered to meet or surpass the seismic performance of wood or steel framed structures. My guess is it probably has to do with cost/equipment use of construction, ease of aesthetic design, or just "that's just not the way we do it". Do agencies (officially or unofficially) actively discourage or prohibit the use of reinforced concrete systems in residential development?
Quote Reply

Prev Next