Re: Water temp for Miami man? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
I’ve done very few large races

I though it was a good race. Very friendly people and staff

It seemed dangerous to me but maybe because I’m used to closed courses or roads out in the country with little to no traffic.

So I have a questions for those who have done a lot of large races.

Is it usual to have that many people bunched up on a bike course?

Is it usual to sometimes having to stop because cars are backed up at an intersection?

Is it usual to have to slow down for cars to come out of side roads?

Is it usual for rough roads like that?

Normal for people to pass in the oncoming lane because people are passing 3 abreast in the correct lane?

It would be nice if there were also smaller races you could qualify for worlds

I’m not complaint as I qualified but it seems a little dangerous on the course

Yeah, I've encountered all those things at other races including IM-branded races. Pretty irresponsible of them not to sweep the roads and clearly mark potholes though

You were right about the no wetsuit :)

BTW did you do the race?

What are your thoughts compared to other races?

I come from bike road races so used to be in close proximity of dangerous riders so it wasn’t a big deal. But I could see if you are used to spread out triathlon biking it would be nerve racking for newer riders. Not saying this is you

We had our first "cool" day in the area the day before the race, so it was a no-brainer that the water was going to be a warm bath. This was the first time in 4 years that I haven't done the race as I refuse to pay that much money for an unbranded race that just isn't that good.

From experience though, it's the same thing every year. For the pointy end, the first loop on the bike is desolate and all you see are the two jerks that just passed you drafting each other up the road and you just put your head down and focus on you. Then you hit the second lap and it's a total clusterf*ck and you burn a ton of matches getting around the slow moving draft packs. You avoid the washed out turns with the cops sitting in the wrong spot and the massive irrigation canon that is watering the road for some unknown reason. Then you second guess the turn back to transition and now you play dodge-a-car as you're avoiding the olympic racers and pissed off cars. Based on the forecast it wasn't the windiest or hottest year I remember, but still tough.

At IM Racine 70.3 the roads were much worse, at IM Lou you ran into the same open course and traffic congestion problems, and at Rev3 Williamsburg you also had the locals buzzing by you on their trucks screaming obscenities at you. I've had cars blow past police checkpoints at Escape to Miami and one dude had his athletic career ended at Miami 70.3 one year because of it. So yeah, all those problems are common, Miami Man just manages to lump them all in together along with off-kilter gravel running.

Hope you had a good day!

Lol astonishing your race info could have been my race report for THIS year

I ended up stressing about missing the second loop and sure enough I missed it and quit the race to be fair.

Oh well it was a beautiful day. Being a bigger racer the wind didn’t bother me. Actually prefer it as I seem to place better relative to others.

Not sure I will race next year but really want to go to worlds. Passed up the chance last year and regret it a little
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp for Miami man? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
You left out the local farmer deciding that Sunday would be a good day to burn his trash pile. I'm glad that didn't last too long going through the smoke.

That's a new one! Who says MultiRace doesn't innovate!
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp for Miami man? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I will race next year but really want to go to worlds.

------

70.3 national championship and world's qualifier for an event that apparently is going to be the full IM distance at the ITU world's next year.........

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp for Miami man? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Not sure I will race next year but really want to go to worlds.

------

70.3 national championship and world's qualifier for an event that apparently is going to be the full IM distance at the ITU world's next year.........

Sorry not understanding

I’m aware that the aquabike at Miami man was half distance and in the Netherlands 2020 its full distance. That’s what I was going for.

Cold swim so wetsuit legal. Super flat bike and most likely quite windy. All the things that are good for me so no excuses for not going fast lol

2021 world championship is in Australia in a town with the highest mountain in Australia. So I’m guessing a hilly bike course
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 11, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp for Miami man? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wasn't sure which race you were going for.

The half tri distance race yesturday qualifies you for world's that will be raced at the IM distance in 2020.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next