Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bohemian Rhapsody Review
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been posted but took my bride yesterday to see Bohemian Rhapsody and we LOVED it - I grew up in UK and when I graduated from the Stones went towards Queen - Rami Malek is uncanny with his portrayal and the rest of the band give very credible performances as well. Freddy was a troubled lad and this is well portrayed in the movie - and of course the music is fantastic - ending with Live Aid gig in Wembley Stadium in 1985. Well worth seeing.. Two Thumbs Up... :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was totally blown away by the movie especially the Live Aid performance.

After you see the movie I recommend that you watch the YouTube performance from Live Aid, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between live and the movie. Even the Pepsi's and beers were the same.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd or 3rd the review. We thought it was really good.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked it as well. I know that there were some inaccuracies in the movie, but overall I really enjoyed it. Agree with the other poster that they totally nailed the Live Aid gig. And Rami Malek deserves an Oscar for that role.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
After you see the movie I recommend that you watch the YouTube performance from Live Aid, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between live and the movie. Even the Pepsi's and beers were the same.

Came here to say this. We really enjoyed the movie. The critics are pretty hard on it for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We loved the movie. I might even go see it a second time. Great story, well paced and well acted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of taking my kids, 11 and 13, but was a bit worried about how deep they went into the 'off - color' stuff!

Any suggestions ?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't watched it, but planning to tomorrow. But when my kids were younger I used Common Sense Media as a resource to understand what was in each movie before we went.

Their review.
Quote:
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW
Parents need to know that Bohemian Rhapsody is a fact-based drama about the rock band Queen, particularly its talented and charismatic lead singer, Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek). While there's quite a bit of drinking (including to excess), as well as characters taking cocaine, the movie isn't as edgy as you might expect for the subject and era. Sex is implied between a man and a woman (they kiss, lie in bed together, etc.), and men kiss and flirt with each other, but there's no graphic nudity. And language includes a use of "f--k," plus "s--t," "bulls--t," "a--hole," and some racial slurs (e.g., "Paki") but isn't extreme. Characters also fight, argue, and shout, and a rock crashes through a window. Like many musical biopics, the movie boasts a strong central performance and inspiring song performances, but the rest is pretty routine. But it should still please the band's fans.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I can answer this as our children much much older - there are a couple of scenes with him obviously naked - but covered so that should be OK - and the Aids and Gay aspect are covered with much respect. So I think they should be OK - but perhaps someone with children closer to your kids ages may shout out.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
I'm thinking of taking my kids, 11 and 13, but was a bit worried about how deep they went into the 'off - color' stuff!

Any suggestions ?

thanks

My wife took our 10 year old. Maybe a little adult topics and language, but then, my daughter hears worse from me, especially when I take her to the bar to watch a Tottenham game. That said, my daughter liked the music scenes but found the rest of the movie boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a boarder line call. Depends on your sensibilities and what they have already been exposed to. For me I wouldn't when my child was that age. ( Specially the 11 year old.) I would see the movie first. It's the only way to be sure for yourself. Good opportunity to introduce them to some of their music though, even if they are not quite there age wise yet for the movie. Lot of good youtube videos you could share with them. Both concert and music video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:

Any suggestions ?

thanks

We just saw it this evening. I thought it was very good. Even better than I expected.

Not much in the way of off color really. Drug use is more hinted at than obvious. Same sex relationships are out in the open, not hidden. No nudity and light on off color language.

If you don't want your kids to see two guys kissing then don't take them. But this is about as kid friendly of an honest look at a rock band from the 70's as you are going to find.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:

Any suggestions ?

thanks

Haven't seen it yet either, but my wife and I were both surprised that it has a pg13 rating given some of the subject matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Dbeitel wrote:

Any suggestions ?

thanks

Haven't seen it yet either, but my wife and I were both surprised that it has a pg13 rating given some of the subject matter.

I found it to be pretty PG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing it at 8:15 tonight.

This was probably the second band that I really go into (the first being ACDC). I loved Highlander, and their Its a Kinda Magic was the soundtrack for that movie. I later bought most of their tapes. My wife constantly says if we could go back in time and see one band live, this would be it.

Side note: I have a lot of metal musician friends and one asked, out of the blue, who's the best frontman ever. Freddie Mercury was almost a unanimous win.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw it. Non Queen fans may not like it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The concert at the end was awesome. Lots of tears were shed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw it with my wife. We both loved it. Loved the casting of Mike Meyers too. Genius.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Loved the casting of Mike Meyers too. Genius. "

Spolier alert:

Best quote of the movie. "They're going to want something that you can listen to in your car and bang your head to it."

Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got around to seeing it last night with the kids. Thanks all for the spot-on recommendations. I did not think there was anything in the movie that they have not seen/heard already.

For me, being a Queen Fan, I thought it really showed some insight to the life of the Band.

And of course the Music brought back great memories.

Db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We saw it last night. I really liked it. It was a fun movie and it was hard not to get into the music... it felt like you were back stage at a concert at times. I had forgotten how much I like Queen's music.

Highly recommend, historical accuracy be damned.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw it this weekend. Enjoyed it overall, but the chronological and factual liberties they took in order to make the story more interesting started to wear thin, especially the "We Will Rock You" scene, for some reason. My wife, who knows next to nothing about Queen, also turned to me during the band's reunion in Jim Beach's office and said "I never knew they broke up?"... Me: "They didn't."

Their set at Live Aid was one of only a handful I still remember from that day, and I was really impressed with how accurately the movie recreated it - even little things like Brian May's guitar flourishes, etc. I guess with as much available footage of the performance it would have been hard to fuck that scene up.
Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
And Rami Malek deserves an Oscar for that role.

and his teeth for Best Supporting -- Freddie had an overbite but these were crazy.

Whoever played Brian May was fantastic too.

My only beef was with the Wembley crowd CGI. Doesn't seem quite there yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I thought it really showed some insight to the life of the Band. "

FYI, they took a lot of artistic license on that one. Example: every member in the band had a solo album, and Freddie wasn't the first......the drummer was (despite being portrayed as the one most pissed off by people going solo).

Quote Reply
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Review [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"I thought it really showed some insight to the life of the Band. "

FYI, they took a lot of artistic license on that one. Example: every member in the band had a solo album, and Freddie wasn't the first......the drummer was (despite being portrayed as the one most pissed off by people going solo).

Exactly. I got into Queen's music just before 'Radio Ga Ga' and 'The Works' were released, via an obscure Brian May solo project (with Eddie Van Halen and Alan Gratzer, among others) and had Taylor's "Strange Frontier" years before Mercury released either of his solo albums.

Edit: Here's the Brian May solo thing in its entirety. It was based around the theme song from a Japanese sci-fi show I watched on Saturday mornings. That EP was one of a whole collection of vinyl (including all kinds of Works-era 12" picture discs) I sold to a record store for about $35-40 right before I moved from the UK to the US, because I didn't want to deal with getting them to the US. Idiot.

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Dec 7, 18 13:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally saw it last night. Yes, the music was great and the performances were excellent. All that stated, the movie itself was a bit of a mess. I'm not the biggest Queen fan or historian and even I knew they jumped around timelines and embellished a lot.

A+ music
A+ acting/casting
C- script

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 24, 19 7:39
Quote Reply