Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting heart rate up higher
Quote | Reply
Lately I've noticed my heart rate can't get up as high as it used to which seems to be limiting my performance. I was able to push 186 at a recent Orange Theory class maybe 6 months ago but now when I'm running outside I'm only hitting 145-150 before my legs develop muscle soreness. On the bike I get the same thing, max around 150 bpm. I'm finding my legs always give out first before I'm short of breath at all these days. My resting HR is low 40s.

I've been reading I should up my cadence to 90 (right now under heavy load near ftp I probably go low 70s) which will tire less and use more cardio instead of muscle strength. Cycling drills to spin faster are easy to monitor on the trainer so I'm going to try that to increase my power before fatigue sets in.

I noticed my cadence running is also very low at 158-160 spm where I read 170-180 is ideal. Should I work on taking shorter steps and up my cadence running too which should have a similar effect in raising my heart rate for the same load but taking it off the muscles? I'm relatively short so always tried to stretch out my stride. I tried one run taking shorter steps and it did seem less effort for the same pace though that pace wasn't that fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [tri4funInVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are you and how long have you been running / riding?

Are you using the same HRM while running as you did at Orange Theory? I’ve used other HRMs that report really wacky #s before - so maybe the one you used there wasn’t working right

Something seems off if it’s same HRM and you’re 30-40 beats off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about your running pace or bike power? Are those the same or are they down also?

What has your training been like over the last 6 months?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only been training for last 7 months. I started out riding about 40 miles a week but now just train on my indoor trainer holding about 170W avg for an hour x 6 days a week with an ftp around 210w. Trying to build ftp to at least 250w by April and 300w by Sept. Planning on moving from 60min to 90min x 6 days a week avg 200W by April and 225W by June/July.

Running I ran about 20 miles a week before but now moving to 35 miles a week. Max pace prob 7:50min/mile on a /10k but trying to get that down to sub 7 by April.

Age 39. I have 3 chest heart meters: Polar H10, Orange Theory ANT+ and a Motorola ANT+. Use the ANT+ with Garmin Watch and H10 with Apple Watch. They all read the same.

On my FTP test I was able to hit about 170bpm but legs definitely starting to give out now at 140-150. Feel I could easily test 225W now since I can do 2x20min 200W intervals pretty easily. Race pace prob 140-150 also with 160 peak. Speeds near PR during races but lately notice decline run times probably from fatigue of everyday training without rest.

My main concern is how do I push myself to get more use of my aerobic capacity eg HR to 180 without hitting the wall on the legs. Maybe more short intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're HR is fine. Even an elite athlete will not be able to sustain 95+% of maxHR for an Oly. If your nearmax is 186, 140-150HR is exactly where you'd want to be for Oly or even HIM if your legs are trained to that level.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at my records 11 years ago when I was 28yrs I had a vo2max test at 205bpm so probably lost 10 beats or so at 195bpm max. 186 was just in reg class when I wasn't going all out like VO2max test. For tempo, shouldn't I be at 90%=175 bpm? Just feel legs can't get to 175 very easily or hold tempo for any kind of duration if I did get there. Heart is actually fine - just need to train legs to get there somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri4funInVegas wrote:
Looking at my records 11 years ago when I was 28yrs I had a vo2max test at 205bpm so probably lost 10 beats or so at 195bpm max. 186 was just in reg class when I wasn't going all out like VO2max test. For tempo, shouldn't I be at 90%=175 bpm? Just feel legs can't get to 175 very easily or hold tempo for any kind of duration if I did get there. Heart is actually fine - just need to train legs to get there somehow.

I think you have to retest. You might be surprised with the drop in maxHR since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you on any new meds? When I stated taking a new prescription, I could get nowhere near my previous max when doing an all out max test. Daily runs also were about 20 bpm off from previous years.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No meds. I think lower heart rate due to better cardio conditioning but think muscles haven't caught up. I'll test new VO2Max sometime in coming months but VO2max test messes me up for a week to recover if I'm truly going 100% and feel if I went any harder I'd pass out and die otherwise it was probably only 90% so trying to schedule that with regular training schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot get my HR up anymore either. My paces are all faster - so, I chalk it up to specificities of training.

I run a lot in aerobic zone. I do very little threshold work. Now when I push hard I top out pretty low.

If your performance is improving that’s mostly what matters.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally max HR decreases with increased fitness due to higher overall cardiac output / stroke volume(more blood per pump) and overall efficiency. Also, you can have different HR ranges and max's between modes like cycling, indoor cycling, running. However, I would not discount hydration and fuel status as a contributing factor. Low on carbs or water and you'll hit that wall early enough as far as that burning is concerned. If your diet has changed at all in the last 6 months I would take a hard look at your fueling situation.

As far as running cadence, I just had a lengthy reply session regarding this here. Cadence can range from 160 to 185, everyone is different. Focus on overall mechanics, foot placement (ok, shorter stride) and posture; basically more running drills.

EDIT: examining your protein intake wouldn't hurt either as far as your legs hitting the wall is concerned.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Last edited by: ironmatt85: Nov 9, 18 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have some studies backing up the idea that max HR decreasing with increased fitness?

I think this is not true as elite athletes still have very high HR when competing. I can't find too many quotes of maximum heart rate of elite athletes but googling around shows Lance Armstrong in 2005 to have a max of 201 when his resting was 30 at age 34.

I'm sure you're more efficient with increased training but how fast your heart can beat seems like it should be going up with increased fitness eg it has the ability to beat faster AND harder.

Getting faster is obviously the goal but the question is how to get there. I want to feel that I'm gasping for air (Eg hit my cardio limit) vs my legs giving out (tired legs). Higher cadence on the bike seems to indicate this is the way to go to get your heart rate up for the same wattage but in theory you should be able to hold the wattage longer if you rely on your heart as the limiting factor instead of your legs.

ironmatt85 wrote:
Generally max HR decreases with increased fitness due to higher overall cardiac output / stroke volume(more blood per pump) and overall efficiency. Also, you can have different HR ranges and max's between modes like cycling, indoor cycling, running. However, I would not discount hydration and fuel status as a contributing factor. Low on carbs or water and you'll hit that wall early enough as far as that burning is concerned. If your diet has changed at all in the last 6 months I would take a hard look at your fueling situation.

As far as running cadence, I just had a lengthy reply session regarding this here. Cadence can range from 160 to 185, everyone is different. Focus on overall mechanics, foot placement (ok, shorter stride) and posture; basically more running drills.

EDIT: examining your protein intake wouldn't hurt either as far as your legs hitting the wall is concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri4funInVegas wrote:
Do you have some studies backing up the idea that max HR decreasing with increased fitness?

I think this is not true as elite athletes still have very high HR when competing. I can't find too many quotes of maximum heart rate of elite athletes but googling around shows Lance Armstrong in 2005 to have a max of 201 when his resting was 30 at age 34.

I'm sure you're more efficient with increased training but how fast your heart can beat seems like it should be going up with increased fitness eg it has the ability to beat faster AND harder.

Getting faster is obviously the goal but the question is how to get there. I want to feel that I'm gasping for air (Eg hit my cardio limit) vs my legs giving out (tired legs). Higher cadence on the bike seems to indicate this is the way to go to get your heart rate up for the same wattage but in theory you should be able to hold the wattage longer if you rely on your heart as the limiting factor instead of your legs.

First: After further thought from your initial post, it could be you have different "max's" or ranges for indoor vs. outdoor activities, which could be due to motivational qualities of the indoor group workout (may be some adrenaline influence there), exercise type (if not cycling), overall cycling mechanics of indoor vs. outdoor, etc. Indoor cycling is resistive in nature, where you have resistance for the full 360 degree turn of the pedal, instead of benefiting from free-spinning wheels and gravity on a road bike. Generally it's a lot easier to get your HR up for indoor cycling and group workouts...

Second, to answer your reply question: Great questions. First, Lance is a good example of having a high max and low resting HR, but without having his data from before becoming a top-end (however dirty it was) cyclist, we can't make any relative assumptions about his max HR history. I personally have Vo2 max data showing my max as 210 (with vo2 63.5 ml/kg), then two years later with my max at 202 but a higher Vo2 (72.7 ml/kg; both @ 68kg body weight):

There is enough data that's been around for many years on the subject of max heart rate, enough that if you pick up any exercise physiology book, it will have it in there (and probably not on the first 5 pages of your search on goooogle). Just pulling some off my book shelf both my Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning (NSCA, Beachle and Earle), third edition and my Physiology of Sport and Exercise (Wilmore, Costill, Kennedy) have the same conclusions on the subject. It's worth noting that as an amateur, you may only see a five maybe ten point drop after many years of training. So, thats not going to fully explain what might be going on with your HR. Also, ask yourself: if your heart needs to pump slower at rest, why would it need to pump faster at maximum if it pumps more blood per beat?:

There is a little confusion on your marriage of the cardiovascular system (heart rate), muscular system and power with respect to cycling. First, in cycling you turn a lever with a specified range of motion, as you increase your cadence the force required to turn the pedal is reduced (this is illustrated by a chart called a force-velocity curve).

This leads to Muscles 101: fast twitch (inaccurately called anaerobic, but requires little oxygen to produce force) muscles are high force/high power, but fatigue more easily as a result. Slow twitch muscles are low force (relative to fast), and wont fatigue as much. The important part is, both systems rely on the aerobic system to clear metabolic waste, which is why we breath heavy after a tough sprint. So in order to max your heart you still have to push hard through a relatively longer effort (8-20 minutes) to max your cardiovascular system and, subsequently, your heart. My best Vo2 max test progressed from slow and low, to faster and upwards, finishing at 5.5 mph on a 17.5% grade, at the 21 minute mark! Part of finding your max aerobic effort is building into a max effort gradually for a little longer, rather that right off the bat to ensure you are fully using your aerobic system.

So, turning the pedals faster (remember, lower force) makes you less prone to muscular fatigue. If you are to turn something with the same force at the faster cadence, then the result is more power. Thats where you go faster. On the other hand, for example, if you are turning the same number of watts at 50rpm (higher force), and then at 90rpm (lower force), your speed will probably stay the same (because its the same number of watts...), but used different muscular systems (fast v. slow) to turn the pedals.This makes muscular fatigue the limiter, not your cardiovascular system/heart per se. Basically, you gotta push the watts at the edge of your slow twitch muscle limits (which you find through a test) for long sets to get more watts.

**In the interest of the question at hand, not as advice or recommendation of any kind*
To bring it all together, to get someone to possibly max their HR for example I would have them build a ride to VO2 max wattage interval zone for 5-20 minutes depending on their fitness. Another example would be a good 2-3 mile climb at 7-8% grade would do it, if you honestly left everything out there. Reaching a true max is very hard. *

Cadence on the bike is fundamentally different from running; There is little to no eccentric loading (lengthening of the muscle during contraction) in cycling, plus we are dealing with torque (cycling) and whole host of other differences like elastic energy storage (run). Running we rely a lot more on our mechanics, balance, range of motion and musculoskeletal system to absorb and transfer energy to rhythmically hit the ground repeatedly with our feet. For more on running cadence, see my reply in a previous post, which summarizes multiple studies on the subject of running cadence.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Last edited by: ironmatt85: Nov 9, 18 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed response!

Concentrating on what's important to me, I feel my heart/lungs still has more to give but my legs give out first. Seems that suggests my cycle training should be geared to getting used to spinning at higher rpm and my total sustained power should go up.

For running, what can I do to push myself harder before my legs give out? I do some things which are somewhat unnatural eg lift my knees more while running, kick my heels higher or shorten my stride in hopes of getting my spm up. Seems if you use more muscle recruitment then your demand for oxygen goes up before muscle fatigue. I definitely feel my heart rate goes up during HIIT run training but not sustained speed work. Again limiting factor is my legs are tired before I need to stop to gasp for air. I do notice after intervals different muscles are a lot more sore eg my glutes so perhaps I'm just not activating some bigger muscles (hips/glutes) during regular running that I do sprinting? Solution - more intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand from your posts that you just started training 7 months ago from a sedate life.

The reasons for lower HR may be:
1) Your cardiosystem got fit (Yey!)
2) Your hormones are screwed (hypothyroid?) or some other medical condition.
3) Overtraining?

#1 is likely if you gradually got faster and improved your endurance the entire 7 months and the HR shift was gradual.

#2 is likely if you are slower now than before and/or the HR shift was abrupt.

#3 is maybe unlikely, but look up other symptoms. If you sat on your ass for 38 years you body may be in shock after a 7 month injection of the life-extending “drug” called exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [Sindre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll have a lower threshold for overtraining a zone than someone doing it for years on end.

Sounds like you need a week off to build some TSB back up and start again.

I just came off a plan and was negative TSB for a good while and noticed similar. Especially on 3 min pursuit efforts. Couldn’t get the rate up.

Also, don’t expect 80w in less than a year. Off the couch from under 200w to the 200’s is one thing. Breaching 300 is another entirely. Ask me how I know. To about 280 was pretty quick. Moving onto the 300s, well, it’s a new beast.

I track my TSB and loads in an excel sheet. I didn’t want to believe the scores vs my ability to do work. But it works. Meaning when I can’t do something or the HR is low, the TSB is usually very negative.

I racked up my weekly TSS in 3 days in a row, then wondered why a threshold and surge climbing workout was unbearable.

Ohhhhh, my TSB was about -25. No wonder. My body was trashed. I don’t have the base to get that negative in TSB. I can only handle about -10 to -15 max.

Give it a shot looking into that data. The piece of mind is worth it knowing why your body is doing what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting heart rate up higher [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going start a thread on max heart rate anomalies but this one seems like a good place to ask a question...

My max HR has been consistently in the 165-170 range for a while now. Recently I had to take a 3 week break with no exercise (life saving dermatology incision) and when I got back on the bike my legs felt surprisingly good and my HR topped out at 190 on the sprint. I'm 65 years old and a major heart attack survivor (2.5 years ago). I'm not worried about my health, I just had a cardiac echo stress test that went fine but why the substantial jump in HR? Is it good that my ticker can still go that fast or is bad because it needs to go that fast? Am I better for the rest I gave my body or is my training way behind now?

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure whether anyone can really answer this without knowing what your performance has been like. Have you gotten faster, or even stayed the same?

If so, it probably means you’re fitter that you can go at the same pace / power (output) for less input (hr). That said, you’re also probably hitting the point where you can’t get faster simply doing more of the same and woukd need to add more variety to your training in order to get faster.

But if you’re slower, it probably means you need to build in more rest.
Quote Reply