Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

T1 - Am I wrong to question this?
Quote | Reply
I volunteered at IM FL this past weekend as a bike catcher. While waiting for my shift, I was watching T1. There was another volunteer walking around to the first bikes that had come in to transition and she was looking at and touching the bike computers. I asked her what she was doing and she replied that she was saving their rides. I questioned her about touching athletes computers. She got all up in my face and it almost got ugly. My thought was, what if she erased someone's data? She claimed she was told that was part of the job as a bike catcher. Was I wrong to question her actions?
Quote Reply
Re: T1 - Am I wrong to question this? [djblair40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, that's not part of the job. Or, shouldn't be, for the reasons you state

Sounds fishy to me....
Quote Reply
Re: T1 - Am I wrong to question this? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be pissed if someone messed with my bike computer - just sayin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walking back to my condo at Whistler this year I screwed up my own computer, tried to save it and the battery died mid -save. How pissed I'd be if someone else did that (sorta got it back in GC but never came thru garmin connect)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 6, 18 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely not.

I have to imagine many volunteers are taking part because they have f&f racing. Granted, it could be pure stupidity but either way, she should have been reported.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djblair40 wrote:
....she replied that she was saving their rides........My thought was, what if she erased someone's data? She claimed she was told that was part of the job as a bike catcher.
Absurd excuse for what is her interference with other people's stuff. I would imagine she was either just being nosey and looking at people's ride data out of curiousity, or she had more malicious intent and was considering taking something. It's possible she thought this was part of her job or that she was helping but that would take some amount of idiocy. Surely it's obvious you're not entitled to mess with other people's personal equipment, especially live recording devices containing data they may consider valuable, without their express permission. I'd be furious if I thought someone was playing with my bike computer, or anything else on my bike without a damn good reason.

I'd certainly report it. If the race organisers talk to her, at the very least she'll know better for next time, and if they'd gotten any complaints from racers this may help them figure out what happened. There's no downside to reporting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my watch as bikecomputer, so no one can mess around with it.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 - Am I wrong to question this? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There should be no need to worry about it.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 - Am I wrong to question this? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I use my watch as bikecomputer, so no one can mess around with it.

Irrelevant to the OP's question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turn my device on before the swim start and can only save the ride and turn it off until well after the race is finished, which could (if I was still doing IM) take longer than the 8 or 9 hours the battery typically lasts. It would actually be nice to have a volunteer save the ride and turn the computer off in T2.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 - Am I wrong to question this? [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
I turn my device on before the swim start and can only save the ride and turn it off until well after the race is finished, which could (if I was still doing IM) take longer than the 8 or 9 hours the battery typically lasts. It would actually be nice to have a volunteer save the ride and turn the computer off in T2.

If the battery dies before the activity is saved, is it lost? I suspect you can just charge the unit and then save the activity.
Of course you could also just turn off the unit before entering T2. problem solved.

Regardless, I and i suspect most others, do NOT want anyone messing with our stuff.
A volunteer trying to help me in this regard is far more likely to cause me a problem than to solve one.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 7, 18 2:07
Quote Reply
Re: T1 - Am I wrong to question this? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

Regardless, I and i suspect most others, do NOT want anyone messing with our stuff.
A volunteer trying to help me in this regard is far more likely to cause me a problem than to solve one.

I'm in this camp, and also suspect that the clear majority are too.

If you're a transition volounteer - please keep my stuff safe until I come back, and pretty please don't f*ck about with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
djblair40 wrote:
I volunteered at IM FL this past weekend as a bike catcher. While waiting for my shift, I was watching T1. There was another volunteer walking around to the first bikes that had come in to transition and she was looking at and touching the bike computers. I asked her what she was doing and she replied that she was saving their rides. I questioned her about touching athletes computers. She got all up in my face and it almost got ugly. My thought was, what if she erased someone's data? She claimed she was told that was part of the job as a bike catcher. Was I wrong to question her actions?

Let me just say I absolutely 100% DO NOT WANT ANYONE SAVING MY RIDE FILE!!!!

I stop my computer at the dismount line myself and leave it unsaved ON PURPOSE.

I record my ride on my 935 as part of the triathlon mode. At the end of the race I always save off the file from the 935, then I verify the bike data look good, then delete the one from my 520. I don't want duplicate ride files showing up because it messes up my training peaks, and strava, and whatever. Sure it's only a minor pain to delete the extra files, but I explicitly do what I do in races so that I don't have to deal with that.

I realize she was trying to be helpful but to me that would be just the opposite
Quote Reply