Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Want to change fork on gravel road bike....what should I be careful of?
Quote | Reply
Current bike only accepts tires up to 30 wide on front. I want wider, which requires new fork. I know I should match rack, however anything else I should be watching out for or aware of?

Quote | Reply
Depending on what you have on there now, and what you're looking to replace it with... The axle-to-crown measurement will likely increase, bringing the front end up, decreasing the head tube angle and increasing trail. That may not be bad, again, depending on what you have now. If you want to at least nearly duplicate the handling characteristics with the new set-up, then you want to keep trail the same, and not rake.

That said... A couple mm's either way, you probably won't notice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: Nov 6, 18 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Want to change fork on gravel road bike....what should I be careful of? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to use the same wheelset, make sure the axles match or are adaptable. A wider tire increases trail and raises the BB height so you might want to account for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to change fork on gravel road bike....what should I be careful of? [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about changing the fork on my '12 CAADX to an Enve or Niner one. CAAD fork was designed for mechanical brakes and shudders hard under the Force22 ones. I think I'll probably just end up doing a new build, carbon frame and thru axles.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to change fork on gravel road bike....what should I be careful of? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful about any new fork with an integrated crown race. Got a great deal on a Trek fork but the fork crown rubbed on the bottom of the head tube. Had to fabricate a conical spacer to push down the headset bearing a couple of mm to get the requisite clearance. You won't have this problem is you use a fork that requires a crown race to be installed.
Quote Reply