Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading the entire article (it was a little blurry, but still legible) my $.02 is that this project will take off again, if it takes off at all, after the 2020 elections. Trade wars and tariffs appear to be the dark horse lurking in the background holding prospects for what this might become, just not anytime soon.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
After reading the entire article (it was a little blurry, but still legible) my $.02 is that this project will take off again, if it takes off at all, after the 2020 elections. Trade wars and tariffs appear to be the dark horse lurking in the background holding prospects for what this might become, just not anytime soon.

thanks. Out of curiousity was the picture of the scope of the project viewable. And did it "do justice" to the scope for someone who doesn't drive by it, as I do.

I guess we will see. I for one don't feel it is not "taking off". But again, I see the daily changes in both this site and the other things Foxconn is investing in in WI.

I think they are playing the long game here. I would say in particular if you read and/or agree with GreenPlease positions in the Liz Warren and end of Global trade thread. Especially the original post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about this. Tesla has almost finished their Gigafactory 3 in China. They started building it in January. Their initial target production is 250,000 cars a year.

This project in comparison is tiny and they haven't really built anything yet, and how long has this been going on?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
I don't know about this. Tesla has almost finished their Gigafactory 3 in China. They started building it in January. Their initial target production is 250,000 cars a year.

This project in comparison is tiny and they haven't really built anything yet, and how long has this been going on?

OK. So what don’t you know about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The photo is also blurry, but if a hi-loader is actually in the photo, then I can grasp the scale. Post 117, which you wrote last February, stated that UW was to have already received millions from Foxconn. The article however, states that none of the $300,000,000 has yet been forthcoming.

Do you have any insight, or is money just being spent on land improvements, which could potentially be recaptured in the event of a sale?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I don't know if there will ever be anything substantial. It seems like they are doing the minimum for appearances and the maximum to drag their feet.

If they were doing something because it made economic sense, it would be built quickly.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Jul 31, 19 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I don't know if there will ever be anything substantial. It seems like they are doing the minimum for appearances and the maximum to drag their feet.

If they were doing something because it made economic sense, it would be built quickly.

got it. Hence, why I posted an update for SailorSam who said he wanted the local perspective. In the thread with the title "Trump's Foxconn Con".

There were plenty of people on this forum prepared to pooh pooh this when it came out here. I am/was a big defender. I think it only fair that I post an update of what has actually occurred in the last 2 years. Which isn't nothing. And isn't what was originally described/agreed to.

my hope and belief is the final "truth" will lie somewhere in between. But like most in WI we just don't know; and that is what the article points out (with a mostly skeptical edge)

But I will concede as a local business person the details behind this have always been "murky". And while the ground that is broken is substantial I have to concede to your second bolded sentence above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I read GreenPlease's OP AND I read Elizabeth Warren's Trade-On Our Terms. I think it is extreme hubris to assume Warren speaks for the entire Democratic Party (she does not). Also, GreenPlease says clearly that this is a tongue-in-cheek post about the end of World trade. My view at 30,000 feet is that Warren sounds like she wants to be the World's Cop, in order to enforce everything alluded to in her document.

IMO, to "raise the world's standards to our level" before we can trade with them is a fool's errand. I just can't imagine sub-Saharan Africa bringing their standard of living up to that of the United States inside of a 4, or even 8 year administration.

Finally, having workers on Trade Advisory Committees "unanimously certify" government agreements serve their interests seems totally impractical to me. I can't get agreement on what to have for dinner at my house! Also, if a big corporation is potentially footing a multi-billion dollar bill to get a project done, such as Foxconn, then, IMO, they should have significant say in the final outcome. Maybe not all say, but significant, otherwise, we are no better than the Chinese government.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping an old thread because I stumbled across a Foxconn story today

A contract is a contract - no tax credits for Foxconn.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2020/10/12/wedc-denies-tax-credits-foxconn-work-done-2019/5969815002/

Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [kfo996] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting. This was FUBAR from the beginning. I find it odd the local officials are "disappointed" in the state for decisions that "threaten good faith negotiations" when the company they are stumping for doesn't sound like it has been close to fulfilling their end of the contract. Why even have a contract in the first place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) trump told the GOP in Wisconsin it was a good deal. Trump talked about how he would talk up the deal and it was good for trump. That was enough for the Wisconsin GOP because trump was/is the kingmaker in the GOP.
2) Foxconn gets free advertising/a very favorable deal if they choose to in the future. They really lose nothing + pick up the advertising.
3) trump gets to talk about how great of a deal he made + he is bringing manufacturing back. If nothing happens, people will defend trump saying "no one lost anything" (all while ignoring trump's early promises that he is bringing back manufacturing).
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
1) trump told the GOP in Wisconsin it was a good deal. Trump talked about how he would talk up the deal and it was good for trump. That was enough for the Wisconsin GOP because trump was/is the kingmaker in the GOP.
2) Foxconn gets free advertising/a very favorable deal if they choose to in the future. They really lose nothing + pick up the advertising.
3) trump gets to talk about how great of a deal he made + he is bringing manufacturing back. If nothing happens, people will defend trump saying "no one lost anything" (all while ignoring trump's early promises that he is bringing back manufacturing).

My business is about a mile from Fox Conn grounds in Mount Pleasant. I live in Mount Pleasant. There has been a ton done on infrastructure and 3 large equipment rental companies planted shop along I94 planning to rent equipment to contractors. There is tons of infrastructure that has happened. Much roadway work, sewer/water, rerouting of entrance and exit ramps on I94 and widening Hwy 11. The entire infrastructure around this project has been moving along. The actual building and business I can’t comment much on because it’s setup like a compound. Unless you have a helicopter, you can’t see much. You just drive your car down the roads that box out the miles and miles of land that is encompassed. You can’t visually tell what’s going on inside the plot of land. There are still dozers and excavators on the properties doing ground work on the perimeter as well. Most people have rerouted their normal flow of traffic over the last year to just avoid the area since its constant construction.

I’ll make a point to drive by today and see if I can give more insight.

I should also mention, Foxconn has a building in downtown Milwaukee as well as along the frontage road to the interstate near Hwy 20. No idea what those buildings are used for, unless it was temporary until this site was finished.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

My business is about a mile from Fox Conn grounds in Mount Pleasant. I live in Mount Pleasant. There has been a ton done on infrastructure and 3 large equipment rental companies planted shop along I94 planning to rent equipment to contractors. There is tons of infrastructure that has happened. Much roadway work, sewer/water, rerouting of entrance and exit ramps on I94 and widening Hwy 11. The entire infrastructure around this project has been moving along. The actual building and business I can’t comment much on because it’s setup like a compound. Unless you have a helicopter, you can’t see much. You just drive your car down the roads that box out the miles and miles of land that is encompassed. You can’t visually tell what’s going on inside the plot of land. There are still dozers and excavators on the properties doing ground work on the perimeter as well. Most people have rerouted their normal flow of traffic over the last year to just avoid the area since its constant construction.

I’ll make a point to drive by today and see if I can give more insight.

I should also mention, Foxconn has a building in downtown Milwaukee as well as along the frontage road to the interstate near Hwy 20. No idea what those buildings are used for, unless it was temporary until this site was finished.

Seems like you and other residents are having your cake and eating it too, in more than ways that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And foxconn is paying for all this infrastructure? or is this a bridge to nowhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Foxconn tells Wisconsin it never promised to build an LCD factory

https://www.theverge.com/...contract-negotiation

In short - Wisconsin is denying the subsidies because the promised factory wasn't built-.... and.... "Foxconn does not think the factory specified in the contract, an enormous Generation 10.5 LCD fabrication facility, was actually a “material” part of the contract."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much easier and simple were we to have an oligarch and an autocrat sitting down and negotiating don't you think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bringing back manufacturing worked about as well as bringing back coal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who knew words had meanings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:

Foxconn tells Wisconsin it never promised to build an LCD factory

https://www.theverge.com/...contract-negotiation

In short - Wisconsin is denying the subsidies because the promised factory wasn't built-.... and.... "Foxconn does not think the factory specified in the contract, an enormous Generation 10.5 LCD fabrication facility, was actually a “material” part of the contract."

It sounds like Foxconn doesn't have much of a legal leg to stand on, but it could take its toys and go home. Thus the interest in both parties to come to some kind of win/win arrangement based on the evolved plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
Foxconn is back on the con

https://sports.yahoo.com/...ctric-095246643.html

Fisker has even less credibility than Foxconn. A partnership forged in hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.wpr.org/...ies-development-jobs

Quote:
Foxconn Technology Group is looking to sell two properties that were once meant to become "innovation centers," employing hundreds of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump’s Foxconn Con [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
https://www.wpr.org/...ies-development-jobs

Quote:
Foxconn Technology Group is looking to sell two properties that were once meant to become "innovation centers," employing hundreds of people.

Those hundreds of employees will be out of work now that they've assimilated all of that irrefutable proof that he promised us. That's what they've been doing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next