Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Sad.

I think the manufacturers are going for the older richer buyers, most of whom have kids now. But sorry, the real solution to kids + sports car is to buy a coupe and another vehicle.

Agreed. Plus, there are a TON of sporty, fast, powerful sedans. If you want fast, sporty car, but need 4 doors, you can get that. If you want a sports car, then get a sports car. But, when you buy a 4-door Ford Mustang, guess what -- you DO NOT HAVE A REAL MUSTANG! Why would anyone even want one of these abominations???

I kinda get the Porsche 4-door and SUVs (kinda). You want a practical car in the Porsche brand. That makes A LITTLE more sense to me. I still think a Porsche 4-door and/or SUV is ridiculous, but, I do get it. But, to do that to actual model (i.e., a Mustang in this case) is asinine b/c it is no longer a Mustang sports car.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
W. T. F. A 4-door pony car is in the works.

https://www.caranddriver.com/...-iagTsggD0qtyo2sUwVM

That thing is just gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Btw, this just thread made me remember a good series of articles on ownership of a stingray:

https://www.edmunds.com/...road-test-index.html

Well, the Stingray was the state of the art for its time. Today? Ummm... still a good car, but there are plenty of common rides out there, straight from the factory, that could kill it on the twisties. Me, if I was rich enough to own one I could maintain as original and one I could modify (heavily), I'd put the original in a Jay Leno-type garage and take the second one and get that weak-a$$ suspension replaced, get serious rubber and wheels and do some other things, like an updated steering column/steering wheel combo, updated sports seats, etc. The full-boat restomod, in other words.

Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
spudone wrote:
Those things were an abomination at 5300lbs too. I bet that '82 Corvette, even with the big engine, is at least 2000lbs lighter.

Base curb weight for the '82 C3 Collector's Edition 'Vette was somewhere around 3,350 lbs. That was with the 5.7 liter engine and four-speed automatic transmission. Really, it was a dog compared to the C2 (and early C3, before smog and emissions controls).
Only 200 hp, 285 lb. ft. of torque and a 0-60 mph time of 8.1 seconds. My six-banger Infiniti G37X would destroy it.
Hell, my flat 4-powered wagon would destroy it.
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
spudone wrote:
Those things were an abomination at 5300lbs too. I bet that '82 Corvette, even with the big engine, is at least 2000lbs lighter.

Base curb weight for the '82 C3 Collector's Edition 'Vette was somewhere around 3,350 lbs. That was with the 5.7 liter engine and four-speed automatic transmission. Really, it was a dog compared to the C2 (and early C3, before smog and emissions controls).
Only 200 hp, 285 lb. ft. of torque and a 0-60 mph time of 8.1 seconds. My six-banger Infiniti G37X would destroy it.

My minivan has the exact same 0-60
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
spudone wrote:

My 0-60 (claimed, and I believe it, but need to time it), is 5.8. Not bad for a 10 year old 5 seater with 8 inches of ground clearance, 120,000 miles, 75 percent worn tires, and a bone stock engine/trans/everything.
Last edited by: Koala Bear: Nov 6, 18 21:00
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
spudone wrote:

Like I've said: This is the golden age for American horsepower and performance. Much, much better than the famed muscle car (and pony car) era. I loved that old Detroit iron (and still do). But other than straight-line acceleration, if you wanted anything that was fast but also good in the twists and turns you had to go foreign, for the most part.

Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
W. T. F. A 4-door pony car is in the works.

https://www.caranddriver.com/...-iagTsggD0qtyo2sUwVM

I think the rendering kinda works.
Could be a way for FORD to keep those looking for a performance oriented 4-door *car* (not SUV or truck) in the family, having discontinued all other cars except the Mustang.
Wasn't too long ago that a 4-door Wrangler was thought to be an aberrant mutation.
Those stretched 'vettes though - not good.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
It looks sorta like a Mustang that got crossbred with a Fusion.

I thought the same thing as well. That half aft of the 'B' pillar is all Fusion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My father in law had an '85-ish corvette (well before my time, but I hear about it). It got to the point that it would honk whenever he turned right.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was a 'honk' of approval for his turning to the right

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
that was a 'honk' of approval for his turning to the right

And for no doubt using his turn signal. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm strongly opinionated on this and don't care what other peoples opinions are on the subject...you're wrong so don't bother.

Chevrolet lost their sole along side with most American manufactures of automobiles sometime on the early 70's and they, as everyone else, did not start to get it back until the last decade or so.

Any vette post 1973-74 started to loose it's testicles. The bubble window in the 78' tried to mimic the earlier 63 thru 66 version which was the first sign of Detroit loosing any capacity for new design in the Corvette line. Much like every other line they either gave up entirely, See the Chrysler K Car, or just sat around and said "Hey let's just try and make what we already have done a little differently". There were a few exceptions to this but not many. The Corvette lost it's sole entirely with the C4 and barely became more than a Datsun 300. Thankfully it started to gain back a little life with the C7.

Now we can't blame Corvette for this, the automotive industry lost it's sole as an entire industry. I'm hoping that with the recent mimics of real cars like the throwbacks of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger maybe the designers up there will start using what they've learned and say to themselves "Hey maybe we can come up with something that is new AND cool". I'm afraid the old guard will come down and tell the kids to not be so "Out of the Box" and ask them to redesign the K car.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is the quality of USA designed and built cars so poor? They make plenty of good quality stuff, their cars are generally complete junk. Australian cars aren't much (any) better.
Quote Reply
Re: This 1980 Corvette is the Stuff of Nightmares [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
I'm strongly opinionated on this and don't care what other peoples opinions are on the subject...you're wrong so don't bother.

Chevrolet lost their sole along side with most American manufactures of automobiles sometime on the early 70's and they, as everyone else, did not start to get it back until the last decade or so.

Any vette post 1973-74 started to loose it's testicles. The bubble window in the 78' tried to mimic the earlier 63 thru 66 version which was the first sign of Detroit loosing any capacity for new design in the Corvette line. Much like every other line they either gave up entirely, See the Chrysler K Car, or just sat around and said "Hey let's just try and make what we already have done a little differently". There were a few exceptions to this but not many. The Corvette lost it's sole entirely with the C4 and barely became more than a Datsun 300. Thankfully it started to gain back a little life with the C7.

Now we can't blame Corvette for this, the automotive industry lost it's sole as an entire industry. I'm hoping that with the recent mimics of real cars like the throwbacks of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger maybe the designers up there will start using what they've learned and say to themselves "Hey maybe we can come up with something that is new AND cool". I'm afraid the old guard will come down and tell the kids to not be so "Out of the Box" and ask them to redesign the K car.

~Matt

In the decades after WWII and until the first gas crisis in 1973, Detroit's Big 3 automakers (plus AMC) could sell as many cars as they wanted to build because there was relatively little competition, so quality was spotty -- to put it mildly. If you were a production and assembly employee on the line in any American auto factory back then, there was no way that line was going to be stopped, because the production numbers had to be met. So automakers pushed poor product to dealer, which would then fix any defects under warranty. The makers needed those cars in the hands of the buying public and the buying public didn't have many options back in the day.

That's all changed now, though, as anyone who's followed the U.S. auto industry can tell you.

Quote Reply

Prev Next