Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [stevej] [ In reply to ]

I can't speak to what Dan is doing, but I know some forum's do an IP ban, which is a little harder to circumnavigate, depending on how tech savvy one is.

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

I thought this thread might be about the Dodgers win the other night. Crazy game.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]

Mark Lemmon wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Dan
This is your place and you do an excellent job, IMO..

Kiley is the one that always leaves me scratching my head. I like the guy, he knows his shit, and often brings up great topics.

I don't think there's a need to publicly out the banned. People will figure it out in due time.

Agree. I thought Kiley was a valuable contributor to the forum, although I rarely responded to him regarding his comments. I can guess as to why he was banned, but I would have appreciated Dan's explanation if Dan would have wanted to tell us.

Extremely valuable in my opinion. Just look at the bike testing he did or the others he starts to get some new conversations started - i.e. the saddle thread. And yet Dev isn't banned for clogging up the forum with another LS thread on Arizona because he "discovered there are no Sanders threads on the first page".

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [Callin'] [ In reply to ]

i left this thread up because some folks tune in on mondays. i'll let you guys talk this over for about an other hour, and then i'm going to lock the thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [Callin'] [ In reply to ]

Never been through a ban, and I hope Dan corrects me if I'm wrong, but before someone receives a permanent ban, I believe they typically receive ample warnings. Also, if you're a regular or long time poster, I believe Dan takes the time to contact you behind the scenes to deliver those warnings personally. So, I'm guessing if you receive a permanent ban, you have no one to blame but yourself. I also believe, and I certainly could be wrong, but there's usually room for redemption down the road for all but the most egregious.

I'm not posting this about any particular banned member, just replying to your comment because it was there. :-)

Jim Manton / ERO Sports

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

windschatten wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:

Mom taught me that if you can't say something nice/decent. Don't say anything at all.
Personal attacks, insults, put-downs should be off-limits....

The irony of you writing this is rich, based on your recent comments in the aero wheel data thread.
:-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

Slowman wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:
I guess what I’m saying if you are tone policing and not enforcing a rule, then consider updating the rule or acknowledge that you have crossed over into editor mode.

The forums should be different than the front page articles. There is room for crossover. I like how the forum comments are referenced in articles and at times help create the web content.

I come to ST forums for both training and gear advice, news and entertainment. I just don’t want to lose the convenience of a one stop shop.

If you think we need a safer place to post. Set it up. See who frequents that forum.

Anyway I enjoy ST and hope to continue to do so - thanks for engaging!

the overwhelming rule is be civil. civility, like potter stewart's "i know it when i see it" definition of obscenity, is highly tone-dependent. i don't know how to get around that. potter stewart didn't either, hence his definition. i agree with you that we need to review and update our rules and policies and we're finishing up just such a review now.

I love this. It is NOT too much to ask of us to discuss, argue, agree and disagree in a civil manner. If someone really can't tell when they are being inappropriately hostile then that someone either needs some maturing or they should find another forum to release their hostility.

For an example of what I hope Slowtwitch never becomes go to Letsrun.com. Letsrun.com is so over the top that it's hard to tell what is a real comment and what is just simple trolling. You may call it "freedom of expression" but it's annoying, unproductive and a waste of time. I think we can be civil and express our opinions and thoughts openly. I applaud Dan for his efforts to maintain a basic level of decorum here.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]

Mark Lemmon wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Dan
This is your place and you do an excellent job, IMO..

Kiley is the one that always leaves me scratching my head. I like the guy, he knows his shit, and often brings up great topics.

I don't think there's a need to publicly out the banned. People will figure it out in due time.

Agree. I thought Kiley was a valuable contributor to the forum, although I rarely responded to him regarding his comments. I can guess as to why he was banned, but I would have appreciated Dan's explanation if Dan would have wanted to tell us.
I was surprised there was no reaction after he insinuated he had sources that knew of Chrissie doping and then backed it up with exactly squat.

Dan, I think you do a good job with this and probably are too lenient for my tastes in life. So many toxic people in some of these threads just are a disincentive to come back if you are new of simply give a hoot about being a good person. I think DCrainmaker was right about that a couple weeks ago.

Slowman wrote:
i left this thread up because some folks tune in on mondays. i'll let you guys talk this over for about an other hour, and then i'm going to lock the thread.

Apparently made it in time. But I guess I don't know what the ruckus is/was about!

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |

Slowman wrote:
right. i see your point. but i don't have any wisdom on a better way to handle it. when i get that wisdom, and if it changes my posture toward this, then i'll do so. thanks for understanding.

It really bothers me that I don't know when someone gets banned because I do not like the feeling of being uninformed and out of the know. If this really gets under my skin I figure the obvious workaround would be to get myself banned. Suckers!

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

Dan should be locking the thread soon. Is this the point in the thread that I call him an ignorant slut?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]

iamuwere wrote:
So many toxic people in some of these threads.

i suspect you'll find less of that dynamic over the winter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

" You can't argue balls and strikes"

You must be new here. Arguing balls and strikes is like arguing rim vs disc brakes...

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dan should be locking the thread soon. Is this the point in the thread that I call him an ignorant slut?

I’ve always had trouble with the term ignorant slut. Does it mean you are generally ignorant and also make poor sexual choice? Or does it mean you pedal in the realm of ignorance frequently? Not that the distinction matters when it comes to slowman.

Unreal. Do you talk like that in real life around people who don't know you really well?

As a community would we like to see young aspiring kids use this forum as a resource? I would. Give that some thought and ask yourself if how you conduct yourself here helps or hinders.

ajthomas wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I’ve always had trouble with the term ignorant slut. Does it mean you are generally ignorant and also make poor sexual choice? Or does it mean you pedal in the realm of ignorance frequently? Not that the distinction matters when it comes to slowman.

it has a very precise meaning. if you want to see the term properly deployed, fast forward to the 1-minute mark:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [poguer] [ In reply to ]

poguer wrote:
Unreal. Do you talk like that in real life around people who don't know you really well?

As a community would we like to see young aspiring kids use this forum as a resource? I would. Give that some thought and ask yourself if how you conduct yourself here helps or hinders.

I agree. Whoever brought that term into this thread should be banned.

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [poguer] [ In reply to ]

poguer wrote:

he's from Halifax, so....

poguer wrote:

THAT seems like a really bad idea. This is definitely not a safe place.

ajthomas wrote:
poguer wrote:

I agree. Whoever brought that term into this thread should be banned.

I agree wholeheartedly.

hey, wait a minute.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Re: You can't argue balls and strikes [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]

Tom_hampton wrote:
poguer wrote:

We're a Navy town....

Tom_hampton wrote:
poguer wrote:

Hells no. Kids should NOT be here. They might stumble into the Lavender Room by accident, Dan is always forgetting to close the door to that place.

Favourite Swim Sets:

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
poguer wrote:

We're a Navy town....

Tom_hampton wrote:

poguer wrote:

Hells no. Kids should NOT be here. They might stumble into the Lavender Room by accident, Dan is always forgetting to close the door to that place.

yes! and now it's time to close the door to this thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next